Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

Holy friggin crap! This forum is amazing! Those people that have left Detroit because of suburbanization really had no idea what big mistake they were making! I always thought Detroit was hell on Earth.... partly because of 8 Mile (the movie). I vowed after seeing that movie that I would never go there.... Now I AM DEFINATELY GOING THERE!!!! It is sad that so much of Detroit has really decayed, but Im glad to see a renewd interest in it... Is that Renaissance still going on...??? Has it cooled down or flickered brighter or stayed the same? Its amazing that you can buy a home for a dollar from the city! Shoot, in Tacoma you cant buy one for a $100,000. (And I was told that Tacoma is ghetto.... HAH) Now Im actually interested in Detroit. What do ya know? And kudos to those maintaining this forum! Youve got an excellent ability in photography! Keep it up!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detroit's current revitalization (focused mostly, though not exclusively, within the historic boundaries of the old city) is probably the most tangible one to ever occur and is in full swing. The past 6 years or so have probably been the most exciting time for central Detroit in many, many decades, and is the first time in many, many decades that the downtown is growing, again. The city is still facing many and very real problems, but there is an optimism for many that hasn't been felt in the city in decades.

I love it when time periods go by when you visit and participate in an online forum such as this, and then you have that "Randy@Tacoma"-type person chime in with his amazement-at-Detroit comment. It just makes me chuckle at how clueless America is.

I don't mean that in a bad way toward you, Randy...I'm glad you've taken it upon yourself to recognize an honest reality. Welcome! :)

I love it when time periods go by when you visit and participate in an online forum such as this, and then you have that "Randy@Tacoma"-type person chime in with his amazement-at-Detroit comment. It just makes me chuckle at how clueless America is.

I don't mean that in a bad way toward you, Randy...I'm glad you've taken it upon yourself to recognize an honest reality. Welcome! :)

Seriously.

For those not from the region, its ALWAYS "8 Mile" that defines "Detroit".

Thats it.... but does 8 Mile really look like that? The closest thing Ive ever seen to something looking like 8 Mile is when I went to Tijuana.... and I hate to say it, but even Tijuana was better than 8 Mile.... No offense Detroiters, But I REALLY give my props and amazement to that city, and I will surely set my other ignorant friends straight about this rebounding city as I was.

If I recall correctly, and please correct me if I am wrong, but not much of the movie 8 Mile actually takes place on 8 mile. Its more symbolic than anything to that movie.

And please save your comparisons for when you actually experience 8 mile. Comparing Tijuana to 8 mile when all you've seen of it is some select parts from a movie that is supposed to show Detroit as a tough dirty city, really isnt fair. Who knows, they may be similar but when people take what they see in movies and on tv as actual fact, it isnt really fair to the area.

8 Mile is nothing more than strip malls. And, you have to be able to distinguish between movies and real life. lol I really do hate that so many see the movie and really think that nothing is played or or exaggerated. Eminem's portrayal of Detroit in the movie is actually very exaggerated, and if not exaggerated, one-sided. It really does make me ask the question if any press is really good press.

Edited by Lmichigan

I don't know. I don't see anything in the movie necessarily exaggerated. Granted its fiction, but there are people who live a pretty harsh lifestyle. What's so exaggerated about Eminem's character "B Rabbit" working in a factory, growing up in a broken home, and freestyle battling? Most of the scenes were filmed in actual Detroit locations (Chin Tiki & Michigan Theater) Granted it's not what Detroit is in entirety, but it IS part of Detroit's image....at least a darker one.

My family lived that way before we moved. 12th and Clairmont was not an easy place to live by any means, but that doesn't mean ot was hell everyday. Still and again, if not exaggerated, it is one sided and purposefully made to focus mostly on the bad times in his life leading up to his success.

Edited by Lmichigan

And "8 Mile" is supposed to be based back in the 80s ,I believe, when the city was at rock bottom.

You know what movie really paints Detroit in a really bad light, is the movie "The Crow". Of course they didn't shoot it in Detroit, and it is based off of a comic book type story, so everything is always raining and dark...but it really paints the city in a bad way for those who haven't been here. It was made in 94. It looks more like Tim Burton's Gotham city.

I haven't seen 8 mile the movie in quite a while, but I do find it unfair the judgements people make on the city. The All-Star game and Superbowl have really helped our overall image in the public. The problems are obviously much deeper than abandoned buildings and shotty road work and poor lighting...but the city is headed in a positive direction IMO.

On the far east side lies this relatively plain, vacant brick building. This building was the original headquarters for the Detroit Street Railroad. It is still owned by DDOT, which attempted to renovate the building, ran out of money, and now intends to demolish the building.

DSC_0017.jpg

Behind the headquarters building lies the old train sheds. If you look carefully in the pavement, you can see cracks where the steetcar tracks are still buried under several layers of asphalt.

DSC_0025.jpg