The Avenue

monsoon

I agree that the brick portion needs detail, but I disagree that the brick base ruins this building. In fact, there aren't many highrises at all in Charlotte with brick bases. The IJL complex on that block doesn't have any brick. Brick ages well, weathers well, and i think this tower is the nicest next to the Vue that will be built. As much as I love Furmans designs, his extensive use of stucco is either going to take a lot of upkeep, or is going to weather very badly. Although I appreciate criticism of the designs, and thats what this site is designed for, I'm starting to wonder what designs would be appreciated. So far EIFS/Stucco, Brick, classical designs, and mixtures of styles seems to be completely unacceptable.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Normally I would agree that a mixture of styles is what makes a skyline interesting, but in the case of Avenue/IJL an elegance will be achieved by the marked simlarity of the two towers. A continuity isn't always bad. In the southern area of Tryon, too much eclecticism can be seen.

a lot of the motifs of the Hearst Tower can be considered art deco, as well as gothic. I'm not saying 100% art deco, I'm saying motifs. same goes for IJL, not so much BOA Corporate i can't categorize that as anything but Cesar, but still there are certain motifs.

also, the interstate tower and the yet-to-be-built berkman.

Yes. Much like the other resi towers that are going up, it is retail on the first level, then 5-8 stories of parking deck and then the tower. In some cases the deck is off to the side, so residential or other uses start at a lower level, but in this case the tower is above the deck.

Not really. It is that same arrangement of I-beams over the elevator shaft that has been there for weeks. Yawn :).

I am actually interested in it. At least watching the construction on the web cam. It is slow (I'll give you that) but I actually find it interesting to watch as things are finally starting to develop on the first floor.

My guess is the slow process is because of the tight space and because they have that temporary dirt driveway in the middle. They poured the concrete for the real entrance this past week and are putting up some kind of covering over it. Whether thats for the second floor or not I dont know. But I would think once they can get rid of that dirt driveway things should go much faster.

Archived