COMPLETED: Connecticut Science Center @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

Yeah, looks that way.

and if you ask me, I would rather see it done right before opening. I feel like there are a lot of people hoping this fails, and that bothers me. I feel like if(when) this museum requires state funding to supliment operation, it will be torn apart by nay sayers, and its just not fair. especially with the crap econemy.

this is such a major boost to the region that it could require major state funding to support it and it would still be a success in my book.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Pinheads, Morons, Idiots, and Shmucks!!!!!!!!! Cheese and rice, the @%$#$#% place didn't even open yet!!!!!!!!!

State Slashes Funding For Science Center

By Diane Weaver Dunne

[email protected]

05/11/09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lawmakers want to slash proposed funding to operate the new, $162 million Connecticut Science Center, set to open in June. The science center

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost time!

Hartford Courant

Alicia Kennedy, her son, and more than 90 of his fifth-grade classmates and teachers at Fairfield's Burr Elementary School have a June 16 date to keep.

That's the day that they, along with students from six other schools from Windsor, Simsbury, Bridgeport and Stratford, are booked to visit the as-yet unopened Connecticut Science Center.

Which is to say that, one way or the other, the center in Hartford will be open by June 16.

"We'll be open by then," said Matt Fleury, the center's president. "But it could be sooner."

I have not heard any specific cuts other than the staff taking a pay cut.

the article heavily quoting the Chase lady gives a lot of details.

I really hope they do not cut this off at the knees.

so many people want to condemn this building, by not funding it properly it will surely underwhelm and people will never come back and then it really will fail.

apparently across the country public funding usually covers a significant ammount of costs for science museums, but the one in Hartford even with appropriate state funding would take a tiny % compared to the rest of the museums.

that reads dumb, but there are actual numbers in one of the above linked articles.

Pictures034.jpg

editing in this pic I took from my buildings balcony today. was going to walk around it but it got crappy out. maybe tomorrow

I wanted to type a few things from my walk around and inside this place.

First off, I am not sure if the building was designed for those on the outside of the building.

the scale and feel inside the building is amazing.

the view through the front glass back at the city is ideal. as far as the outside, yes it has some huge blank walls.

Pictures070.jpg

If my memory serves the one on the left of this image was designed to be some kind of projector screen that will display Ads for visiting exhibits, IMAX choices, special events etc. I recall a rendering with whales on the screen.

am I on crack?

more on the overall look. its a bit shocking but I think that is to illicit curiosity. curiosity is what brings people inside, but its also the key element of science.

This is the interaction with Colombus.

Pictures040.jpg

looks pretty good to me. not ideal, but with phoenix and travelers across the street, any improvement is a big deal.

on the Plaza level I think they hit a home run.

I am on the new plaza taking this picture looking towards the river walk park. not only did they match height, but they make several breaks in the wall making the entire area feel like one huge plaza. still there is some seperation but its done quite well.

looking at this one you can see one of the connections.

Pictures066.jpg

and here you can see 2 more. all in all I think the pipes in the Valley is gonna rock up there this year with the extra space!!!

Pictures067.jpg

Now, all that said, I could use more than just blank walls, but I think lighting can go a long way on changing a look, so I am hopefull they will be able to put some makeup on this pig

• 2 weeks later...

A treat for you guys who do not get a chance to come downtown at night as often as I do.

and also a bit of a visual counter to those who say the science center is not pretty.

ctsciencecenterlit.jpg

I found this picture on this site

http://ctlocalpolitics.net/realhartford/category/photos/

but you can tell that the science center is not yet done setting up its lighting schemes, and this building will be quite a statement to anyone coming through Hartford at night.

I think most of the people working in Hartford wont know what they are missing untill winter and they leave work in the dark.

It used to be a parking lot. Now it is another signature building in a town with some very interesting architecture.

Agreed. This is an example of something that can go horribly right. If every development in this city was given this type of care, we'd be living in a much better environment...

HERE HERE!

So as far as actually attending the place, I think this weekend will be my shot at it.

I have a friend+wife coming down from Boston, and if we do not head out to long Island we will be going to the science center and maybe the Wadsworth.

he has a little girl, so the science center will be an easy choice. We went to the Boston one with her so the Hartford one should work as well. What we do after will be the tough one. Maybe check out the state museum on Capitol because its so cheap and a nice walk through the park. and of course I want to see that gun collection.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-ct-science-center-money-0725-20140724,0,7451384.story

I am happy to see this article.

Back when the science center was being built the state unexpectedly took money out of the funding and I think only by excellent leadership did the center succeed without those funds.   Now, the state seems to be making it up to them by funding the canceled programs.

The first bit is 4+ mill

the states total commitment is about 10 mill

the center itself expects to add in 3-5 mill

This will go towards a bunch of different exhibits, and alot of classroom space.

Also a greenhouse and butterfly exhibit will be revived from the origonal plans.

The article also mentioned that it gets over 300K annual visitors.  I think this is a good bit more than they projected, so that is excellent news!

While the kid friendly aspect of the science museum is a good thing, they have gone way overboard.  The best science museums (Boston, Chicago, Air and Space or Industry in DC) are also adult friendly. The Hartford effort has a kiddie feel to it. Just visit the web page.  It looks like a kids TV network web site, the only thing missing is mouse ears. Then visit the Boston or Chicago web sites. They are much more adult.  Hartford has a children's science museum.

The butterfly exhibit is a step in the right direction, if it is handled like the one in Key West. But overall, if visitors in the city on a convention walked into this place, it would be a huge disappointment.

Archived