COMPLETED: Connecticut Science Center @ Adriaen's Landing

Cotuit

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm generally very conservative in my architectural tastes, so take this for what its worth, but this building is starting to look like it could be a monstrosity. I'm glad something is getting built there, but god I hope this looks better when it is done.

I can see your concerns, but in person it has a fairly light appearance. Looking at the pictures I took there is a lot of mass, and I do not belive it will look terribly massive when done. The elevated riverwalk plaza blocks a view of the building from the street and helps to dull the boxy side. I am also fairly sure that the plaza there will have trees in it.

I am not exactly sure what the south side will be like, but the east and west are almost entirely glass. By the looks of it the large central hall will have an absurd 200' high atrium. I think it will end up looking like the rendering and I like the rendering. we will see though. this seems like the kind of building that uses its lighting and glass for effect.

I'm generally very conservative in my architectural tastes, so take this for what its worth, but this building is starting to look like it could be a monstrosity. I'm glad something is getting built there, but god I hope this looks better when it is done.

I'd have to agree, when I first saw the renderings for this building, it looked like it would be all glass. I liked that look better, I'm really not a fan of the bland grey...

I'd have to agree, when I first saw the renderings for this building, it looked like it would be all glass. I liked that look better, I'm really not a fan of the bland grey...

I share your concern to an extent, but like VOR says I think it will look like the rendering in the end and I like the rendering. There is a whole lot of glass that still needs to go up and the entire center section is still just a hole right now. It's hard to imagine the finished product based on what's currently there, but when I look back at the rendering I see there is still just a bunch of work yet to be done and that it's still to early to judge it.

I wanted to address the glass issue a little bit specifically.

from this picture I took from E Hartford riverfront park you can see some architectual detail on the S. side of the building. Then some open space that will be glass, and more walls.

But what you can not see is that the East facing white wall is actually some kind of tarp covering up glass. The builders have put a tarp or fabric of some sort over the massive glass panels to protect them during construction. So, the only actual solid walls are the ones on the left of this picture. The rest will be glass.

and here is a fly over http://ctsciencecenter.org/media/flyover.wmv

IMG_0024.jpg

I wanted to address the glass issue a little bit specifically.

from this picture I took from E Hartford riverfront park you can see some architectual detail on the S. side of the building. Then some open space that will be glass, and more walls.

But what you can not see is that the East facing white wall is actually some kind of tarp covering up glass. The builders have put a tarp or fabric of some sort over the massive glass panels to protect them during construction. So, the only actual solid walls are the ones on the left of this picture. The rest will be glass.

and here is a fly over http://ctsciencecenter.org/media/flyover.wmv

IMG_0024.jpg

That bridge from the CCC to the CSC looks pretty clunky - is it really going to look like that? I thought the point of Adriaen's Landing (is that name dead yet? I still loathe it) was to "get feet on the street".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw a Channel 3 report where the construcution manager was on the roof and said the top of the "magic carpet" was 266 feet high. That seems high to me but that's what he said.

Does anyone know the actual heigth of the building. Is it another 250 foot tower?

I saw a Channel 3 report where the construcution manager was on the roof and said the top of the "magic carpet" was 266 feet high. That seems high to me but that's what he said.

Does anyone know the actual heigth of the building. Is it another 250 foot tower?

heh, well I wouldnt call that building a tower in any sense of the word. but I think you would have to trust the construction manager on this one.

it is quite a large building it is larger than it looks because the building really starts below street level. the slope of the hill there makes the place look much smaller.

heh, well I wouldnt call that building a tower in any sense of the word. but I think you would have to trust the construction manager on this one.

it is quite a large building it is larger than it looks because the building really starts below street level. the slope of the hill there makes the place look much smaller.

For comparison, The Marriott is 243 feet, One Constitution Plaza is 257 feet.

I agree, it is going to look good.... Now, what is the interface with the Riverwalk going to be? A large patio or something?

It appears that way.

I forgot to swing by the construction site for the Hampton inn in East Hartford to take pictures of all the dirt :)

so I will likely bring the camera back for that and try to get some kind of pictures of the science center from the other side (the good sude) as well as the plaza interface, and of course the new hotel in East Hartford

The glass on street level is going in today, also looks good.

Yeah there was one piece of glass in yesterday. you can barely see it in the 3rd pic.

it looks like the main work going on is HVAC right now. there is tons of HVAC ducting all over the place, and of course the glass.

the riverside is mostly glassed in as well, and there is a sweet little balcony up there. saw a few workers taking a break there this AM

The glass exteriors at the Science Center are done by a Italian company with its US headquarters in Windsor called Permasteelisa. They have done virtually every major skyscraper in the world and will be working on the Freedom Tower in New York. Their US location in Windsor now bills more than the headquarters in Italy. Its funny, because no one really knows about this company that has only been in the US 10 years. Management at this company are the owners of Spris Restaurant downtown.

http://www.permasteelisausa.com/

Don't they own Brooks Brothers and something like Sunglass Hut?

Kind of ... thats another Italian company - Retail Brand Alliance based in Enfield. They own Brooks Brothers, Adrienne Vitidini and Carolee Designs. The owner and CEO, Claudio Del Vecchio, also oversees the North American arm of the company his father founded - Luxottica Group- which includes Sunglasses Hut and Lenscrafters. I know that Permasteelisa does a lot of interior design work for Del Vecchio. Not sure how much more the two companies interact, but everyone seems to know everyone at the two companies.

Anyway, Del Vecchio who is one of the wealthiest men in Italy, is one of the partners at Spris... along with the two guys from Permasteelisa.... one of whom is also partners in Spris in Miami along with numerous other South Beach restaurants.

• 6 months later...

I recently heard march (from a guy i work with not an insider)

The building is looking very nice. The internal supports have been painted a bright orange and yellow (or sometrhing like that) and it makes the area behind the massive glass wall look warmer and inviting. but also modern. it should be pretty bad arse.

it is great any time a city can add a major cultural institution to its downtown.

• 1 month later...

Archived