Main St. Construction

Spartan

Posted on Tue, Jul. 27, 2004

First block in Main Street beautification complete

The first block of work on the Main Street beautification project is complete and will reopen to traffic Wednesday morning.

Cars and pedestrians traveling Main Street from Lady and Washington Streets will find a new brick median, a repaved street and sidewalks and new lighting among other improvements. The block includes the new Meridian office building. When complete the Main Street project will stretch from the State House to Elmwood Avenue and cost about $12 million. The inter-section of Main and Lady Streets will remain closed to traffic for another week.

Officials plan to begin on the 1400 block, from Washington to Hampton Streets, in about two weeks.

I copied this from The State:

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/9256058.htm

mainstreetoverhead.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a tiny note of correction on the thread subject... this isn't N. Main, it's straight-up Main Street. :) You probably know this... North Main starts on the other side of Elmwood. They're planning to pour a bunch of money in there too, but this isn't it yet.

Can't wait to get out and take those pics, but they say it'll be rainy again tomorrow. Haven't had a decent day since I got my camera! *sad face*

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know when the second phase for the street scaping projrct?

Last I heard there is no start date on the final three blocks. I don't think it's going to begin any time soon... I get the sense they're trying to give the area a break and finish up the 5 Points and Lady Street projects first.

Yeah I heard Bob Coble speak yesterday evening and he gave the impression that last phase of the main st scaping wont occur :huh: in the near future. He exclaimed that the goal is to finish the current projects and to begin to pump energy into the many areas that are seriously lacking appeal..ie N. Main :yahoo: . His goal is for there to be unified appeal through-out :thumbsup: Columbia; not just certain areas looking nice like many cities (ie everything south of the railroad tracks looking like 3rd world countries while the rest of those cities are works of art) :sick: . He did explain and appologize for the difficulties with the current 3 major projects. His explaination and the article in the State helped to shed some much needed light on the projects for me.

The North Main project has been in the works for many years now. I'm glad to see it start, but given the cost overruns with the currently ongoing projects, it is a surprise. Main Street has completed only half of it's route, 5 points is over budget, and Lady Street is way over schedule and budget.

These streetscaping projects are notoroius for budget overruns, apparently they don't know exactly whats in the ground until the start digging. One such project in Jacksonville intended to cover 12 blocks and ran through all the money after 4.

Everyone needs to flush there toilets a few extra times so the water/sewer revenue can be diverted for these cost overruns. :lol:

Archived