Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts

cityboi

I had also hoped for a more dynamic, contemporary design for this building. Some of the early artist concepts (I think from a center city vision plan - back before this even became a real project) were more iconic, with a grand curved lobby at the corner of Elm and Bellemeade. But I really like the interior of this building, especially the auditorium itself - I suspect it may be more impressive in person than what pictures can convey.

But the most important thing about this building is not how it looks, but what it will do. Hopefully it will inject life into the north end of downtown and spark development in the immediate vicinity, which is pretty lifeless between the dreadful Marriott and the suburban-style Kontoor campus. I'm sure that we will see the rest of the theater block redeveloped at some point. My only concern is that the surface parking lot immediately adjacent to the theater, which is intended to be premium parking, is a major component of the funding for the construction of the theater. So, any development on that site will likely need to include a parking deck component, or otherwise be sufficiently valuable to replace that revenue stream. 

3 hours ago, jthomas said:

I had also hoped for a more dynamic, contemporary design for this building. Some of the early artist concepts (I think from a center city vision plan - back before this even became a real project) were more iconic, with a grand curved lobby at the corner of Elm and Bellemeade. But I really like the interior of this building, especially the auditorium itself - I suspect it may be more impressive in person than what pictures can convey.

But the most important thing about this building is not how it looks, but what it will do. Hopefully it will inject life into the north end of downtown and spark development in the immediate vicinity, which is pretty lifeless between the dreadful Marriott and the suburban-style Kontoor campus. I'm sure that we will see the rest of the theater block redeveloped at some point. My only concern is that the surface parking lot immediately adjacent to the theater, which is intended to be premium parking, is a major component of the funding for the construction of the theater. So, any development on that site will likely need to include a parking deck component, or otherwise be sufficiently valuable to replace that revenue stream. 

Agreed. The city would have to build a deck in conjunction with any mixed-use development on the property. Earlier concepts depicted an 18 story office tower attached to the performing arts center. Of course that was 20 years ago. It likely would be a mixed-use concept as opposed to a single office tower. Something that combines office, residential, restaurants, retail and Maybe a hotel. There is also enough surface lot for a future expansion of the performing arts center. They may want to add additional function space and a smaller theater around 200 to 300 seats for some smaller events. 

As far as design, we have to remember what the facility was built for.  Its a pretty expensive venue, nearly $100 million, for a facility that doesn't have an iconic design. However much of the cost went inside. Its about creating an experience unlike any venue in the Carolinas and I think they have achieved that. I suppose if they invested another $20 or $30 million or so they could have designed an impressive iconic structure that would win architectural awards. But honestly no performing arts center in the Carolinas has an iconic design. DPAC is only slightly better in design than the Tanger Center and thats because there is a lot more glass and less plain concrete exterior walls. You have to go to the larger tier 1 cities or cities in Asia to see some really impressive designs.  Hopefully at some point future development will hide those plain walls on the east side of the structure and maybe paint a mural on the west side. The front may not be iconic but its pretty impressive.

Edited by cityboi

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Thursday the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts will finally open after almost a year and a half delay due to Covid.

https://greensboro.com/entertainment/greensboros-tanger-center-ready-for-showtime/article_5725e45c-09be-11ec-a3dd-73cef7f82d47.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

612e974429e73.image.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

A little comparison 

Durham Performing Arts Center 2,800 seats 

PhotoGrid_Plus_1633998346726.jpg

Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts  3,000 seats 

PhotoGrid_Plus_1633998318036.jpg

War Memorial Auditorium (Greensboro Coliseum now demolished) 2,400 seats.

PhotoGrid_Plus_1633998284242.jpg

Still its amazing how far Greensboro has come. I remember in the mid/late 1990s when the War Memorial Auditorium hosted a few Broadway shows. Les Miserables is the one I remember. Back then Greensboro only had about 800 subscribers while Charlotte had over 10,000 subscribers. The city had a much harder time supporting Broadway shows. Greensboro hadn't proven itself. Part of that was due to the fact that the War Memorial Auditorium was just not up to par with other performing arts venues even for the times. To me it was more like an oversized high school auditorium. It was bland, no character basically just a box and barely functional for a Broadway production. Cities like Greenville, SC, Charlotte and Raleigh had far superior venues back then. Today Greensboro has the largest performing arts center in the Carolinas and it also has the largest stage of any venue in the Carolinas. Since North Carolina's performing arts centers don't host the same events at the same time, I imagine the Tanger Center will still attract quite a few Charlotte and Durham residents to its shows. A lady from Atlanta drove all the way the Greensboro with her daughter to see Wicked. You'll see quite a few people from southern Virginia come to Greensboro to see Broadway shows.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

Just purchased my ticket for Saturday night's Wicked show! Walked into the box office there and those white marble floors are just stunning. The  Lee & Wrangler  Lounge / bar and food facilities are very upscale. If you haven't been to see Wicked better get tickets fast. There are five more shows....tonight, Saturday afternoon, Saturday evening, Sunday afternoon and Sunday evening.

Sunday's tickets are sold out and only some higher dollar seats are available Saturday.

Fox 8 news on the increase in business in downtown Greensboro due to the Tanger Center and in particular the Broadway shows which are attracting patrons from outside the Triad (Triangle, Charlotte) and even other states.

Businesses who have operated downtown for years have said they have never seen such an increase in business in such a short period of time. I think its now time for a downtown convention center and clearly with the restaurant lines there is need for a significant number of new restaurants downtown. The impact of this facility is greater than anything that has been built downtown over the last 20 years. There are a number of other Broadway shows coming but the next two most popular ones are the Lion King and Hamilton. I think it speaks volumes how successful the Tanger Center has started off and during a pandemic.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/piedmont-triad/tanger-center-creates-business-boom-for-downtown-businesses/

Screenshot_20211022-184549_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20211022-184440_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20211022-184339_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20211022-184403_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20211022-184238_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20211022-184133_YouTube.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

That is a great Terrace view overlooking Lebauer Park.

Screenshot_20211022-184208_YouTube.jpg

JAK-Veranda-1190x490s-watermarked-60496be5dd.jpg

JAK-LeeWrangler2-watermarked-9a5f43a3d7 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20211022-191914_Chrome.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

Sell out shows of Wicked night after night have proven there is a market for big time Broadway in Greensboro. Depending on the nights, a third to half of the patrons came from outside of Greensboro and the Triad. Downtown business are booming thanks to the Tanger Center an you can expect this to attract "next level" development to downtown Greensboro.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/businesses-see-impact-of-wicked-show-as-it-comes-to-a-close-in-greensboro/83-f1c45673-f2c0-4602-812e-1393475d364e

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

Here are the attendance numbers for Wicked at the Tanger Center......66,000! That number tops DPAC's 2015 Wicked attendance numbers which was almost 65,000. People drove from Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Columbia, SC, Atlanta and many other cities far outside the Triad to see Wicked. No venue in downtown Greensboro has ever had that kind of draw. What a great way to showcase downtown Greensboro.

https://greensboro.com/entertainment/arts-and-theatre/wicked-attracts-66-000-to-greensboros-tanger-center/article_762e74be-3663-11ec-a2df-1787defab69c.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, rancenc said:

Yes some of the Broadway shows set records in Greensboro at the Tanger Center. This place has exceeded its expectations.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...