The Bar Thread

Sparkleman

Obviously by my moniker I live in Spartanburg and there ain't a whole lot happening over there. This may be moved to the food thread and thats cool, but I wanted to get it out front initially to get some responses. I haven't bar hopped over there in a couple of years but will be doing so this weekend.

What are some of the better bars in Greenville these days? Are they part of restaurants or stand alone? Who has a good happy hour w/ outdoor seating?

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-Barley's

-Chicora Alley

-Trappe Door

-Blue Ridge

-Corner Pocket (if it's not too crowded and as long as a crappy band isn't downstairs :thumbsup: )

-I like Ray's on some nights...mostly week nights. Last time i was in there on a weekend it was shoulder to shoulder and I could barely move.

I, too, like Rey's, but you're right, it can definitely be a squeeze.

I haven't been yet, but I'd suggest checking out the Dark Corner Distillery.

I, too, like Rey's, but you're right, it can definitely be a squeeze.

I haven't been yet, but I'd suggest checking out the Dark Corner Distillery.

Dark Corner isn't a bar. They basically sell the moonshine and various assorted goods. They do have tastings, though.

The Art Bar looks nice, but I haven't been in yet.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned Carolina Ale House on South Main. No sidewalk seating, but the upstairs has a way-cool sliding glass roof that may be open depending on the weather. Meanwhile, it should be noted that both Barley's and Blue Ridge have outdoor tables.

Nose Dive has taken over the former Restaurant O space. Downstairs features a sit-down restaurant, a bar and a English pub-style community table, where anyone can sit have dinner and drinks with strangers. Upstairs is a lounge with a few TVs, plush chairs, some private booths, and a few high-top tables. No outdoor seating, however.

Art Bar on Main, which doubles as an art gallery, has an extensive beer and wine list, heavy hors d'oeurvres, tapas and desserts, and several tables on the sidewalk.

Speaking of tapas, how could we overlook The Cazbah on West McBee? Excellent selection of wines by the glass, three or four tables on the sidewalk.

The West End offers additional options, starting with Smiley's Acoustic Cafe, which has seating on a deck out back, and Velo Fellow. Both are on Augusta near Main (Velo Fellow is underneath Mellow Mushroom, Smiley's is just a block up). Smoke on the Water, Augusta at Main, has a few tables on a balcony off the bar as well as the tables that are obvious surrounding the entrance. Pomegranate on Main, across from Falls Park, has a rather large patio seating area. A little farther up South Main is On the Roxx, a "gastropub" that Metromix readers voted Best Bar 2011 (but no outside tables that I know of), and beyond that, just outside the gates to Fluor Stadium, is Liberty Taproom, which has outdoor tables in back under patio heaters.

I believe that most of these places, if not all, have happy hours daily, although I can't make any guarantees about weekends.

Good additions, completely forgot about Velo Fellow, Smiley's, and Nose Dive...all are great.

The Ale House is another one for me that I can only handle on week nights. The upstairs gets way too crowded Fridays and Saturdays, but that's just my semi-claustrophobic side talking. They have a couple pool tables up there and I don't even know how anyone can play with people constantly standing and walking around them.

They have a couple pool tables up there and I don't even know how anyone can play with people constantly standing and walking around them.

I used to think the same thing about the pool tables upstairs at Corner Pocket, especially the ones closest to the bar. The place always seemed jam-packed, even on a Wednesday or a Thursday. I haven't been in quite a while, so I don't know if the situation is still the same. Many of the guys I used to hang out with there, and I, are now all members of the Commerce Club. My, how things change.

Archived