The Health District

richyb83

Madison Prep is one school that has benefited from Istrouma's closing.....but Props to new EBR Superintendent  Warren Drake for wanting to re-open Istrouma & return it to its former glory as NBR's premier HS....& say what you want about BR's Public Schools...the EBR Magnet schools go toe-to-toe with the surrounding parish schools if not blow the doors off of them!

• Like 1

Real Damn shame with BR General. Absolutely horrible, I'm increasingly feeling that this cities leadership is not just out of step with everyone else, but miles off.

Crazy part hospital been closing all over the state because of Jindal dumb plan for the state health care system. Somebody have to come in and clean up his mess before more close because BR General Mid City is on the verge  of closing.

Edited by greg225
  • Like 1

Crazy part hospital been closing all over the state because of Jindal dumb plan for the state health care system. Somebody have to come in and clean up his mess before more close because BR General Mid City is on the verge  of closing.

Hopefully Edwards/Holden can fix this mess and put Louisiana on a track to success rather than one of failure. 

If they both win definitely could benefit the Baton Rouge Metro Area with them both being from this area.  

Not just us, but New Orleans and Hammond as well. 

New Orleans is already doing well, and with an improved healthcare system in the state the new Medical Center will really become a Louisiana jewel. I hope they build something similar in Baton Rouge, especially if the BRNO thing happens; we can really become a center for healthcare nationally. 

The absolute dream for Baton Rouge would be Edwards as Gov., Kip as Lt. Gov., and Dardenne as Mayor. I would go so far as to say Baton Rouge would be in a Golden Era. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The CEO of the hospitals was talking on the news and said that after speaking with the community the Mid-City hospital would become a specialty hospital for elderly and behavioral issues. At the end of the interview he said the words that who knows what the future holds for Mid-City, but the hospital will be there. That line struck me a kind of suspicious because it makes it sound like he knows about some plan. My theory is that they're trying the make it attractive to a certain demographic and unattractive to another demographic to help with the revitalization and gentrification of Mid-City. Of course the effort to revitalize Mid City isn't a secret in itself, but who knows what all deals a happening further that goal along.

Baton Rouge General looking for state help to build $40M regional burn center at Bluebonnet campus                  

Baton Rouge General Medical Center will move its renowned regional burn center from its Mid City facility to a newly renovated temporary space at the Bluebonnet Boulevard campus in the next three months. But long-term, the hospital is planning to develop a new three-floor burn unit atop the emergency room at the Bluebonnet campus—an undertaking that will cost nearly $40 million and require help from state lawmakers.

Earlier this month, Sen. Yvonne Dorsey submitted a capital outlay request for $20 million on behalf of the hospital. The deadline for requests for the 2016-17 capital outlay budget was Nov. 1. According to the hospital’s request, BRGMC will raise the additional $18 million needed for the project.

In unveiling the hospital’s long-term plans for both its campuses on Wednesday, President and CEO Mark Slyter said the hospital will also seek grant funding to get the project underway. Slyter said state help is warranted for the project because the burn center serves the entire south Louisiana region, including the New Orleans area. Its importance to the region is increasing, he noted, due to the boom in the energy and petrochemical sectors. BRGMC’s burn center treats about 100 patients a year who have been injured in industrial accidents, and the facility is the only verified burn center designated by the American Burn Association.

While the hospital may be able to make a compelling case for its project, it will be up against a lot of competition in the capital outlay bill. The legislative office of facilities planning received literally thousands of requests for construction projects from around the state, and given the area’s critical infrastructure needs it is unclear how the hospital project will fare.

Rep. Steve Carter, who heads the Capital Region delegation, was unaware of the request and says the delegation had not been informed about it yet. Dorsey could not be reached for comment as of this morning’s deadline.

If the burn center request makes it into next year’s capital outlay bill, there is still no guarantee it will get funding. As a new project, it is not eligible to be included in the priority 1 category, but could be placed in priority 2 or priority 5.  Priority 2 projects can receive cash lines of credit during the course of the fiscal year. Priority 5 projects essentially only receive promises of future funding.   https://www.businessreport.com/article/baton-rouge-general-looking-state-help-build-40-regional-burn-center-bluebonnet-campus

The problem is that BR General didn't get on board with it before OLOL.   That hospitals management was complacent and didn't jump at the opportunity when it became available.   They just didn't have enough paying patients to justify keeping the ER open.

Real Damn shame with BR General. Absolutely horrible, I'm increasingly feeling that this cities leadership is not just out of step with everyone else, but miles off.

LSU and OLOL have been dangling a level 1 trauma center, a stand alone children's hospital, and a medical school in front of Baton Rouge politicians for years not to mention a massive training hospital.    It sucks that BR-mid city is closing, but there area lot of big gains that will impact the whole region being made in Baton Rouge.

From a training, healthcare, and amenities perspective, concentrating the trauma load at one large hospital is a great thing.   It would have been nice for that to have been BR General Mid-City, but they just were not setup for that.   

Edited by cajun

Kind of angry at how they went about that. Close the hospital for the poor, invest in the one for the well-off. 

Not happy at all.

There simply wasn't enough revenue-generating patients consuming health care services at BR General Mid-City to outweigh the write offs.....and OLOL had the relationship with LSU's medical school.

What happened makes total sense if you look at it objectively....and it's not a bad thing for the region.  

Edited by cajun

Yes, because we all know that there's a fence around the OLOL keeping the poor people out if it.    It's all of 6 miles and 15 minutes away from Baton Rouge General - Mid City, and it will end up being a full service hospital with a free standing Children's center and a better equipped trauma center than anything before seen in Baton Rouge.

The reality is that OLOL was better equipped for that partnership with LSU's medical school than Baton Rouge General.

Six miles is a trek when you don't have a car and can't use public transit well. I don't care what the Bluebonnet campus will have; they are limiting healthcare options to less fortunate people and the "oh well it's not that far" bit is fine as long as it's not you being affected.

You judge a society by how it treats it's poor. 

The problem is that BR General didn't get on board with it before OLOL.   That hospitals management was complacent and didn't jump at the opportunity when it became available.   They just didn't have enough paying patients to justify keeping the ER open.

Louisiana Healthcare System not in good shape as you think.

Edited by greg225

Six miles is a trek when you don't have a car and can't use public transit well. I don't care what the Bluebonnet campus will have; they are limiting healthcare options to less fortunate people and the "oh well it's not that far" bit is fine as long as it's not you being affected.

If it's a life threatening emergency, and ambulance will be dispatched and the patient delivered to the very best trauma center ER in the region.  If it's not a life threatening situation:

LSU North Clinic and Urgent Care
5439 Airline Highway
(225) 358-2280

LSU MidCity Clinic, Urgent Care and Pharmacy
1401 N. Foster Drive
(225) 987-9000

I judge a society by it's achievements, not by the feigned outrage over having to go another 6 miles for a clearly superior ER and an infinitely better equipped hospital.  

For all this high and mighty talk, I notice you don't seem to mention our rural health care crisis.

Edited by cajun

If it's a life threatening emergency, and ambulance will be dispatched and the patient delivered to the very best trauma center in the region.  If it's not a life threatening situation:

North Clinic and Urgent Care
5439 Airline Highway
(225) 358-2280

• Urgent Care
  • Primary Care Clinic 
  • Oncology
  • Infusion Clinic 
  • Imaging

MidCity Clinic, Urgent Care and Pharmacy
1401 N. Foster Drive
(225) 987-9000

• Urgent Care
  • Family Practice Clinic
  • Diabetic Foot & Wound Care Clinic 
  • Early Intervention Center 
  • Dermatology Clinic
  • Imaging

I'm very aware of these facilities. They absolutely do not change my position.

Louisiana Healthcare System not in good shape as you think.

How do you know what I think about Louisiana's healthcare system?    Because I'm not all doom and gloom at the reality that the region's leading trauma center is all of 6 miles away from mid city, you can predict my opinion on a statewide healthcare system?

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

I'm very aware of these facilities. They absolutely do not change my position.

So you are just mad for the sake of being mad?   There's very clearly multiple urgent care centers open right now in areas formerly served by EKL or BRG-MC and the capital region now has a larger, better equipped trauma center than it has ever seen before in its history.    In addition, there's about to be a Children's Hospital constructed in Baton Rouge that will serve a region with disproportionately high child cancer and obesity rates, and LSU has opened a satellite medical school with plans to open a full campus in the future.  

It sucks that BR General Mid-City closed, but unlike OLOL, it was never going to handle the trauma load that EKL did and it was never going to be as attractive for a training hospital.  

The reality is that you are upset that a hospital designed and built to serve the serious trauma needs for the entire metro area is located a distance away from BRGMC that lights and sirens can cover in 13 minutes and a helicopter can cover in 90 seconds.

Edited by cajun

How do you know what I think about Louisiana's healthcare system?  

I watch the news and read the news paper like anybody else our state have serious budgets problems.  New report: Louisiana $300M-plus short to fully fund healthcare for elderly, poor,       http://theadvocate.com/news/12938510-123/new-report-louisiana-300m-plus-short 

Edited by greg225

I watch the news and read the news paper like anybody else our state have serious budgets problems.  New report: Louisiana $300M-plus short to fully fund healthcare for elderly, poor,       http://theadvocate.com/news/12938510-123/new-report-louisiana-300m-plus-short 

Congrats.  You still didn't answer my question.  How do you know what I think about Louisiana's healthcare system? 

How you know the system work?

It seems like you've used barely a few paragraphs on healthcare in one region to determine that I have an inaccurate view of healthcare in the entire state.   You've clearly generalized me enough to automatically know my thoughts on statewide health care.....so go ahead and tell me what I think.

Edited by cajun

It seems like you've used barely a few paragraphs on healthcare in one region to determine that I have an inaccurate view of healthcare in the entire state.   You've clearly generalized me enough to automatically know my thoughts on statewide health care.....so go ahead and tell me what I think.

Somebody mad lol little man