Metro Orlando Airport News

bic

Not major news by any means but this could be of interest to MCO spotters. Apparently Lufthansa will be changing the equipment on its MCO-FRA flight, from an A330 to a high-density A340-600, making it the only regularly scheduled A340 service to Orlando. That, and it's a freakishly long plane.

1327807.jpg

Not major news by any means but this could be of interest to MCO spotters. Apparently Lufthansa will be changing the equipment on its MCO-FRA flight, from an A330 to a high-density A340-600, making it the only regularly scheduled A340 service to Orlando. That, and it's a freakishly long plane.

As already reported by me in post #329 1-1/2 months ago. :thumbsup:

The domestic cuts keep on coming. This time it's US Airways terminating its 24x weekly nonstop flights from Pittsburgh (PIT) to Florida, including MCO, TPA and FLL. If you want to fly directly to PIT from MCO it's gonna have to be on Southwest or AirTran. I wouldn't be surprised to see JetBlue eventually fill the void left by US Airways since Pittsburgh is currently the largest market in the northeast that JetBlue doesn't serve from MCO and lately their business model has been very keen on connecting the dots.

Ah, I missed that since I was out of town at the time. Good to see I'm not the only one interested in this thread. ;)

The real news in all this the loss of LH's international First Class, though it was only a matter of months before it was going to happen anyway.

Siemens' pledged support was for Business Class, not First Class.

Orlando just doesn't have the base of wealth to support 200 or 300 $8,000 to $15,000 First Class seats each and every month and there aren't enough high-mileage Star Alliance frequent fliers to fill the front cabin with upgrades.

Lufthansa can make a lot more money with that 3-class A330-300 by sending it to China, Russia, or any number of other places than they can in Orlando.

The big problem is that U.S. East coast to Europe is a relatively short trip and $10k or more for a 6-8 hour flight, when you will likely not have much time to actually use the lie-flat First Class seat you are paying for becomes a really hard sell, even for the affluent. I could afford to buy U.S. East coast First Class to Europe but I never would, it's just a bad value proposition unless someone else is paying and ever since corporate U.S.A. got rid of most of their traveling perks, paid U.S. to Europe First Class travel has decreased significantly.

Personally I would rather have a coach seat in the rear with an empty seat next to me blocked out [which I find easy to accomplish by flirting with the gate agent - I also always carry a couple of small, gift wrapped Godiva boxes] and save the extra $9K to spend on the trip or save.

The U.S. to Asia, Australia, or the Middle East/India is another matter.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

The real news in all this the loss of LH's international First Class, though it was only a matter of months before it was going to happen anyway.

Siemens' pledged support was for Business Class, not First Class.

Orlando just doesn't have the base of wealth to support 200 or 300 $8,000 to $15,000 First Class seats each and every month and there aren't enough high-mileage Star Alliance frequent fliers to fill the front cabin with upgrades.

Lufthansa can make a lot more money with that 3-class A330-300 by sending it to China, Russia, or any number of other places than they can in Orlando.

I'm sure you are probably aware of this already but I just wanted to add this to the discussion for anybody else who's following this. While the A330's were repeatedly sent out with empty F seats, the low yield that comes with the Orlando market is what drove LH to replace the A333 with the A346. By adding so many more Y seats, it reduces the airline's cost per passenger mile flown, allowing LH to turn a greater profit on each ticket sold. The result of this is that the airline can reduce its fares to get more people in all those new seats. And yes, it helps to increase efficiency within LH's route network by allowing them to utilize that 3-class A333 on a route that can fully take advantage of the plane's configuration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

JetBlue will begin service from MCO to Bogota, Colombia (BOG) on January 29, 2009.

In other news, TAM's (JJ) MCO-Sao Paulo (GRU) flights will go into service on November 21, 2008. The flights will operate daily as follows:

JJ8086 GRU 11:30am MCO 5:00pm

JJ8087 MCO 6:50pm GRU 6:35am

Until TAM is able to acquire a 767 for use on the route, the equipment used on the flights will be a A332 featuring a large number of premium seats-- 42 in business and 171 in economy. Apparently if TAM can't get their hands on their 4th 767, they will convert an A330 into a high-density configuration by removing as many as 26 business class seats for use on this route.

1157067.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In other news, TAM's (JJ) MCO-Sao Paulo (GRU) flights will go into service on November 21, 2008. The flights will operate daily as follows:

JJ8086 GRU 11:30am MCO 5:00pm

JJ8087 MCO 6:50pm GRU 6:35am

Until TAM is able to acquire a 767 for use on the route, the equipment used on the flights will be a A332 featuring a large number of premium seats-- 42 in business and 171 in economy. Apparently if TAM can't get their hands on their 4th 767, they will convert an A330 into a high-density configuration by removing as many as 26 business class seats for use on this route.

1157067.jpg

TAM's first GRU-MCO is in the air today and due to arrive a bit late today at 5:36pm.

I think I saw this jet in the air from downtown yesterday-- maybe not; the front half was red; then white; then the back half was red-- 2 engine plane; not Virgin; maybe a cargo jet? not sure;

With the inaugural flight arriving today, I don't think the plane you saw belonged to TAM.

• 3 weeks later...

JetBlue is going to begin daily non-stop service from MCO to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO) on March 26, 2009. The flight will utilize the E-190 and operate as follows:

MCO-SJO

Flight 1695

d: 10:40am

a: 11:53am

SJO-MCO

Flight 1696

d: 12:48pm

a: 5:55pm

One-way fares are starting at $99.

JetBlue's ever-expanding route map of non-stop flights spoking out from Orlando:

jetblueao5.jpg

As the airline continues to increase the number of Caribbean destinations it serves from Orlando, look for more connecting of the domestic dots to help feed the Caribbean routes. In a network that consists mostly of point-to-point routes, 2009 will see MCO begin to transition from a focus city to an international mini-hub.

JetBlue's ever-expanding route map of non-stop flights spoking out from Orlando:

jetblueao5.jpg

As the airline continues to increase the number of Caribbean destinations it serves from Orlando, look for more connecting of the domestic dots to help feed the Caribbean routes. In a network that consists mostly of point-to-point routes, 2009 will see MCO begin to transition from a focus city to an international mini-hub.

its like a rolling start, if you will. fascinating stuff. I like that JetBlue's international partners are Lufthansa and Aer Lingus. Its encouraging especially so that they continue having success and also get that hotel/dorm building built at OIA for their pilot students or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

how do you access the executive airport from the SE side? isn't that where the OOCEA has their new building? The western edge is Maguire. What am I missing here?

You have to take Lake Underhill to Andes Ave. I assume that's where the hotel will be going....the corner of Orl Tower Road and Andes Ave.