Atlanta firm plans $40M apartments

sunshine

I completely agree with this. The other grocer is on Church Street at Terry Avenue. I've been in there and they have a good meat selection, but the rest is pretty slim. It isn't very clean and some people may consider it not very inviting. It's actually very close to you at 55W.

map to Sy's Supermarket

Never knew it was there. And you're right -- street view alone is not very inviting.

7-Eleven provides some relief in 55 West, but they didn't make much of an effort to be a grocer. They're a pretty standard 7-Eleven. Unfortunately, any new grocer in the area would be, in some ways, in direct competition with that 7-Eleven and that might be enough to scare them off.

I would love a small Walgreens or CVS. Something like that would do well once the SunRail stop is open at CSS.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never knew it was there. And you're right -- street view alone is not very inviting.

7-Eleven provides some relief in 55 West, but they didn't make much of an effort to be a grocer. They're a pretty standard 7-Eleven. Unfortunately, any new grocer in the area would be, in some ways, in direct competition with that 7-Eleven and that might be enough to scare them off.

I would love a small Walgreens or CVS. Something like that would do well once the SunRail stop is open at CSS.

A drug store is next on my (preferably 24 hour) downtown retail hierarchy list (followed by a hardware store). Beyond that, I can now order just about everything else online, although I have made it a point to do business with anyone who opens downtown if possible.

BTW, Walgreens is now selling fresh items like produce in some of their urban Chicago stores to work on the "food desert" problem highlighted by Michelle Obama. For all our retail challenges, downtown O-town is better off than many cities in that regard thanks to Publix and the Farmer's Market. The local food co-op ( ) will also deliver if you sign up with them.

Downtown Steve makes excellent points as well about how it's possible to get from many spots via Lynx (not only the Colonial corridor but also buses running regularly down Orange to SoDo and that area. I would prefer walkable within the core, but it is an alternative.

That's true, the co-op delivers downtown for $5 and most of Orlando up to $9. I've used them and was very happy with what I got. Although, something convenient and 24-hour, like a bodega, would be nice.

Going back to the new development, does anyone know of any sketches or websites that you can see for free? I guess you're not allowed to share the Business Journal pics...?

seriously, it is not that far to walk from 55 West to Publix on Lake Eola. Isnt it part of the experince of living downtonw?

There's a big difference between walking half a mile and walking half a mile with heavy or frozen groceries.

Right, it's not so much the distance as it is that distance combined with carrying things. I do it ... it's just not practical when you have a diet coke addiction. :P

Downtown Orlando is a very walkable city and this paired with our great weather more of us should seize the opportunity to enjoy it. I have easily walked or ran over 1000 miles of downtown Orlando streets in the past year (and only put 2000 miles on my car) and I have a completely new appreciation and perspective of what is out there. I get a true pulse of the city and I like being the first one to find a new business opening, or discovering something new I have not seen before. I look forward to walking to Publix and buy smaller quantities but go more frequently than I did before. Publix does also sell nice, foldable grocery carts that work great for those diet coke specials and the BOGO Free's. I have seen a noticeable growth in foot traffic downtown in the past six months.

Downtown Orlando is a very walkable city and this paired with our great weather more of us should seize the opportunity to enjoy it. I have easily walked or ran over 1000 miles of downtown Orlando streets in the past year (and only put 2000 miles on my car) and I have a completely new appreciation and perspective of what is out there. I get a true pulse of the city and I like being the first one to find a new business opening, or discovering something new I have not seen before. I look forward to walking to Publix and buy smaller quantities but go more frequently than I did before. Publix does also sell nice, foldable grocery carts that work great for those diet coke specials and the BOGO Free's. I have seen a noticeable growth in foot traffic downtown in the past six months.

I was unaware of this. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the MPB report for the proposed complex. After looking at this I feel much better about this project. Even though its short it will still help improve those two blocks. Notice in the report that Cheney Pl is being taken away, making this dead end instead an entrance into the complex.

My only issue with this proposal would be the two entrance off of Colonial Drive. That just seems like an accident waiting to happen IMO.

Generally, I like it. The glass tower at Orange/Colonial is a nice touch. Like you pointed out, the Colonial driveway is disappointing -- one has to wonder if they could have more thoughtfully designed the entrance/exit areas. Do they really need four (I'm asking, not criticizing)?

ScreenShot069.jpg

Looks like the Lofts at SODO. This will help spruce up that intersection and hopefully the tattoo, deli, &sub shacks are next! Good luck with the noisy trains and traffic though.

My aunt from Canada is visiting and wanted to see Target, so I drove her down to the super Target in SODO. Upon seeing the plaza, she casually commented "This place reminds me of Russia" lol.:unsure:

I'm with you partially on that Sunshine, but given the current financing environment the project would probably move forward more quickly excluding the retail. Look at current downtown retail vacancy and look at the forecast. They were probably thinking that there's no need to bring sand to the beach, eh?

I'm with you partially on that Sunshine, but given the current financing environment the project would probably move forward more quickly excluding the retail. Look at current downtown retail vacancy and look at the forecast. They were probably thinking that there's no need to bring sand to the beach, eh?

Agreed - the short term faith in the housing market give me long term faith/hope for improved retail downtown. Every step towards more bodies living in downtown is good for eventual retail.

OFF TOPIC:

Not to beat a dead horse about grocery stores downtown, but it looks like we kind of got a new one with Homegrown Co-op's new regular store hours:

Farm Store open 5 days each week starting May 4th!

The Co-op's Board of Directors recently completed a hiring process for a new Assistant Manager that will spear head the opening and continued development of our new Farm Store at Orange Ave. Richard Powell was selected amongst a number of amazing applicants for this position and we welcome and introduce him to you here. Richard brings with him experience in management from Community Harvest Co-op in Melbourne, along with a passion for sustainable food and a great sense of humanity. Starting May 4th, you can begin enjoying added accessibility to farm fresh foods made with integrity, with convenient store hours five days each week. May 2011 Farm Store Hours:<br style="font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 24pt;"> Wednesday through Sunday 10am-7pm

OFF TOPIC:

Not to beat a dead horse about grocery stores downtown, but it looks like we kind of got a new one with Homegrown Co-op's new regular store hours:

Farm Store open 5 days each week starting May 4th!

The Co-op's Board of Directors recently completed a hiring process for a new Assistant Manager that will spear head the opening and continued development of our new Farm Store at Orange Ave. Richard Powell was selected amongst a number of amazing applicants for this position and we welcome and introduce him to you here. Richard brings with him experience in management from Community Harvest Co-op in Melbourne, along with a passion for sustainable food and a great sense of humanity. Starting May 4th, you can begin enjoying added accessibility to farm fresh foods made with integrity, with convenient store hours five days each week. May 2011 Farm Store Hours:<br style="font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 24pt;"> Wednesday through Sunday 10am-7pm

I'm glad they're doing well but didn't they move uptown near Florida Hospital?

I'm glad they're doing well but didn't they move uptown near Florida Hospital?

Correct, sir. I am still waiting for them to open up on a regular (daily) basis, which was part of their agreement with Florida Hospital. The way they are going, the contract will be expired by the time they reach the agreed terms.

Correct, sir. I am still waiting for them to open up on a regular (daily) basis, which was part of their agreement with Florida Hospital. The way they are going, the contract will be expired by the time they reach the agreed terms.

Thanks for the update. I hope they can make it work although I miss having them within walking distance over in the "Birkenstock District."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived