The Fountains of Charlotte

nashbill

When I was living in Charlotte, I loved to ride my bike from Plaza/Midwood to uptown on Sundays. The streets were pretty empty. I called it my fountain tour. Sometimes I would include South Park area if I was in the mood for a long ride. There are large and small fountains/water features all over the place. I would pause for a few minuites to enjoy them. I don't remember the names of all the buildings and parks were you could see a fountain. I imagine there are many I've never seen, since I moved away. Some photos of the fountains from you guys with there location would be great. My favorite uptown large foutain was the in the park by the government center. Simple, water shooting up like a geyser. Noisey, with benches all around. There was a very small fountain on the side of a building on S. Tryon, near the old Wachovia gold glass building, maybe a few buildings closer to the Square. It was always shady and had a few benchs beside it. Very cool space, beside a busy sidewalk but somehow miles away. If you didn't know it was there, you wouldn't see it. The Rotunda building beside South Park was another beauty. That wall of water was very cool. What fountains do you like and why do you like them?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread brings to mind two fountains (at least I think 2 fountains) I've been wondering about.

1. Was the space at 308 South College Street (behind the Atrium and accross from the Hilton) once a fountain?
  2. What the heck is going on with the fountain (not) at the Square/Omni? It has been shut off since I moved here about three years ago.

The back side of the Atrium was actually a fountain years ago, now it remains as a planter. As for the Omni/Plaza fountain, I am not sure what is going on with it. There have been workers sealing the seams of the stonework around the amphitheater part and now working on the black fountain. Hopefully it will be functioning again. Was there a fountain in the middle of the amphitheater at one time? It looks like an old-faithful single stream fountain.

Totally agree with the Rotunda Building in South Park. A very nice new one is at the Metropolitan in front of Dressler's facing the greenway.

I love fountains. They are such people magnets and they are great in urban settings. I remember sitting at the base of the water fall wall in Woodruff park in downtown Atlanta. It was so relaxing and could have just sat there for hours while reading a book.

a small waterfall would be nice too.

• 2 weeks later...

I love fountains. They are such people magnets and they are great in urban settings. I remember sitting at the base of the water fall wall in Woodruff park in downtown Atlanta. It was so relaxing and could have just sat there for hours while reading a book.

a small waterfall would be nice too.

So am I the only one disappointed in the new greenway fountain on Kings? I know they all can't be "Buckingham" fountains, but this is plain pitiful. The water around the edges of this large pool was stagnant and dirty. Is it possible that some spouts around the perimeter just haven't been installed yet? Maybe it was a victim of the economy.....

post-9912-0-55916800-1298186546_thumb.jp

• 3 years later...

Archived