Charlotte Update

Today, Sunday July 18th, Utcltjay and I went on a little photo tour of the downtown area. We actually started just outside downtown in Elizabeth.

First stop was the Elizabeth Village condos at the intersection of Hawthorne and Independence. This is a good example of infill development...they are squezzed on a small plot of land and right next to a freeway.

hawthorne.gif

Here is the interior driveway...most of these are townhomes with garages, however the last building is all flats.

interior.gif

Here is the view of downtown from inside one of the units.

insideview.gif

Here is what the finished product will look like:

rendering04.jpg

Next we headed over towards CPCC...we took a few drive by photos (I was driving) and then headed to the Jail Central Parking Deck. This is the parking deck where law enforcement will get together after shift change on Friday for a few brewskies. It is also a great place to take some pics.

This first pic shows you 277 in the foreground, followed by the future Sugar Creek Greenway, followed by the new CPCC Academic Center (the one with the columns), and then the CPCC parking decks and other CPCC buildings...in the far back you can see the various buildings of the Novant Presbyterian Hospital complex. Just above the building with columns under contruction and slightly to the left you can see the grey steel of the first new building of the Grubb East Park development.

cpcc.gif

While on top of the parking deck I snagged a picture of the Great Aunt Stella center. This used to be the site of Gay Bingo!

stella.gif

Also got a great shot of the new Mecklenburg County Courthouse under construction at the intersection of McDowell and 4th. For the time being it will NOT be called the Reagan Courthouse. A committe has been formed to come up with a suitable name.

courtview.gif

Here is the view of the new Courthouse from street level.

courtstreet.gif

Here is a bonus view of Mecklenburg Jail Central. While there we heard of lot of screaming and yelling coming from inside the jail. Utcltjay says it was them playing basketball. For all I know it could of been a beat down going on..lol..

jail.jpg

Next we headed over to Imaginon. Here is the view from 7th St...this will be the main entrance.

imaginon.gif

This buidling has a lot of neat and well...rather odd shapes...here is a view of the "conch shell" part of the building:

imaginon2.gif

Here is the view of that same part of the building from up above. You can really see the "conch" well from up there.

imaginon3.gif

Here is another interesting section of the building. This is above the stage and the ribbed metal part on the side is the cat walk.

imaginon4.gif

Here is the street level view of the stage section of Imaginon.

imaginon5.gif

There is a lot of glass on Imaginon...which will be nice for the passerby. On the street, they will be able to see what is going on inside. In this shot you can see the reflection of the old Red House at the corner of 7th and Brevard.

imaginon6.gif

That concludes Part I of our tour...Stay tuned for scenes from the Arena, Gateway Village, and a cameo apperance by Trolley Car 85.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice shoots!

So it's the CPCC Academic Center...I remember ad seen this building under construction when I was in Charlotte, and I did'nt know what it was...For the moment it looks great, i'm wondering how it'll look like once finished!

I would add some pics of what I got here, but really didn't get much that uptownliving didn't already get. It was a perfect day for walking around as it was not too hot. I was even impressed with how much has gone on since last time I got to explore!

I had a 2000 Jetta with the 12 valve VR6 and loved it. The motor was very smooth, even at the rev limiter, and it produced more than enough power to do stupid stuff. :D

Now I have eschewed petrol powered cars in favor of diesel. I must admit that the Jetta TDi is a different animal. It moves along quite spiritedly in normal driving, but when you "floor it", you realize that you've been running it at 85% the whole time. :lol:

What's nice is the consistent low-40 mpg I get from it with city driving mixed with a little freeway driving. On a long highway trip, the car actually topped 50 mpg by a few tenths!

• 3 weeks later...

Great Pics!!! Is NoDa going to be on your tour? Winter Properties has nearly completed the Highland Mill and Gateway is well on their way with the Rennaisance at N. Davidson and Craighead. Crosland bought up several pieces of land last year and is about to start building their 2nd project. I am pasting the image below. Last, 3 new restaurants are coming to the area. I have been here 2 years and have seen this neighborhood transform. I will give it one more full year before I will say it truely is a different neighborhood. When the light rail stops at 36th... we will be in one of the most expensive neighborhoods per sq. foot in the city ( I HOPE ).

606Lofts%2034%20rendering.jpg

Archived