SouthPark Mall

uptownliving

• 4 weeks later...

Michael Kors and Brookstone came out really nice. I was at the mall this past weekend and got to go to both stores, though the trip was not as comprehensive as I had hoped.

Even with the sour economy, nothing of note has closed recently. That's a good sign.

Edited by StevenRocks

I was at SP today and spoke with some sales people. The folks at Neiman's had a pretty good season; up slightly over last year. Nordstrom was about even, and Belk showed a decline. A few of the people I spoke with at Belk said that Macy's is killing them, as Macy's being a nationwide chain, it has deeper pockets and can sell the same items available at Belk for less. They've sort of become the Walmart of department stores.

As for specialty stores, higher-end stores did OK, but middle-range stores like Gap and Abercrombie were down from last year. Again, I'm speaking about SP only, not the chains themselves.

Volume buying is probably the only real advantage Macy's has at SouthPark. I can't think of many reasons to choose them over Belk other than price. The store is on an odd end of the property, carries little that you can't find somewhere else and is rarely ever well-staffed.

The place that really impressed me last time I was at SP was Dillard's. After years of being a laggard, Dillard's actually seemed to have its act together. Distinctive merchandise, good lighting, still no bargains but less overall murkiness than I've come to expect from them.

....A few of the people I spoke with at Belk said that Macy's is killing them, as Macy's being a nationwide chain, it has deeper pockets and can sell the same items available at Belk for less. They've sort of become the Walmart of department stores.....
I think Macy is the least of their problems. Belk's bread and butter business has always been their large base of stores in the small southern towns and they are being killed there by Walmart and of course the bad economy in these places.

Well it's Janaruy, (the closing month) and here it goes....so far Christian Bernard has closed. And from what I understand Club Libby Lu is closing all of their stores.....
Christian Bernard was the weakest of the jewelry purveyors. Tiffany & Co has more cachet, Fink's carries more, and Helzberg and Kay easily beat them on price. Still, it was a pretty store with really cool jewelry and it will be missed. Saks is closing Club Libby Lu chainwide because the brand is heading nowhere fast. Edited by StevenRocks

I would defienetly choose Belk over Macy's. I like both, but Belk better. The SP Belk should get better business than Macy's because im pretty sure i didnt even see lacoste at macys (SP). And the SouthPark Belk is like a Nordstrom. I remember when i went on a monday, and i was like the only person in macys, but i went to belk and it looked like it was friday instead of monday. When Belk has sales, they do almost everyting. At macy's they usually just have a small selection of "good" sale items.

When Macy's took over Hecht's they really didn't do much other than change the signs. The Macy's in NC are nothing like the Macy's elsewhere. I wish they would atleast upgrade the one in SouthPark.

Hopefully we will continue to see nicer stores replace Club Libby Lu and Christian Bernard. I really want to see a Metropark store but I'm not holding my breath. :(

http://www.metroparkusa.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I made a plan for SouthPark on Paint. I could not get it to show it here but I made a website with the picture on it. It was the only thing I could do so that you could view it. It is the only thing that I put on the website.

http://www.southparkmallncexpansion.webs.com/

The sizes of the stores are not exact, but as close as I can get them. It has what all of you want: Bloomingdales & Saks Fifth Avenue.

Please leave comments about what you think of my plan. We would just have to persuade Dick's & Doubletree to move and Joesph Beth to move next to NM.

I made a plan for SouthPark on Paint. I could not get it to show it here but I made a website with the picture on it. It was the only thing I could do so that you could view it. It is the only thing that I put on the website.

http://www.southparkmallncexpansion.webs.com/

The sizes of the stores are not exact, but as close as I can get them. It has what all of you want: Bloomingdales & Saks Fifth Avenue.

Please leave comments about what you think of my plan. We would just have to persuade Dick's & Doubletree to move and Joesph Beth to move next to NM.

That's an interesting idea, however it seems like a pipe-dream. It just won't happen, it is my opinion that SouthPark has expanded to the max and I don't think we'll see any more major changes like you propose. Logistically, fincially and realistically it just isn't as easy as moving a store and hotel to one side and then bringing in new stores in their place. Anyway, I think Charlotte will see both stores one day, just not at SouthPark but perhaps a Saks at Lake Norman and a Bloomingdale's uptown.

Another closing.....Pac Sun

I knew It would close soon! I wonder what they would put there. The space is in the wrong wing to be a high end store. If The Children's Place closes, there will be three spaces avaliable in that wing. If they are all upscale stores, maybe more high end stores will come to that wing. Remember, anything can happen.

The high end stores can be just about any where in the mall (well, not next to low end stores). At the Burlington Mall near Boston, Burberry is next to Aeropostale :sick: . So some upscale stores may go there.

I knew It would close soon! I wonder what they would put there. The space is in the wrong wing to be a high end store. If The Children's Place closes, there will be three spaces avaliable in that wing. If they are all upscale stores, maybe more high end stores will come to that wing. Remember, anything can happen.

The high end stores can be just about any where in the mall (well, not next to low end stores). At the Burlington Mall near Boston, Burberry is next to Aeropostale :sick: . So some upscale stores may go there.

They are moving that hideous off brand furniture store in the belk wing to the PAC sun space......I think when limited too becomes justice they can move to the club libby lu spot and maybe they'll put an A/X at the current limited too space :)

• 2 weeks later...

Today is SouthParks "Birthday". It opened 39 years ago today. It's much different now than in 1970. I could still see some new permanent stores. Midscale-Upscale malls tend to still do well now. I remember going to Haywood Mall last month, and SouthPark later last year (My favorite malls). Even though both were a Saturday, the parking lots were both almost full.