History of Charlotte

city123

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I was part of that too!!!!! I was 9

Awwwww daaaaamn!

That training stuck with me through decades of rec leagues. I still do it to this day :yahoo:

What was the guys name who led it? My parents said it was some famous player.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

34 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Awwwww daaaaamn!

That training stuck with me through decades of rec leagues. I still do it to this day :yahoo:

What was the guys name who led it? My parents said it was some famous guy.

I have no recollection haha. 

My niece was n town (age 14) and I took her to the FF Experience or whatever it was called at the old convention center and shot free throws and looked at swag and any other stuff available. It took us out of the house and away from the rest of the family for several hours. The fake South Tryon experience with potemkin businesses was pathetic but a harbinger of better times, of a new convention center and a different city aborning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

My niece was n town (age 14) and I took her to the FF Experience or whatever it was called at the old convention center and shot free throws and looked at swag and any other stuff available. It took us out of the house and away from the rest of the family for several hours. The fake South Tryon experience with potemkin businesses was pathetic but a harbinger of better times, of a new convention center and a different city aborning.

Are there any photos of the Potemkin Village S Tryon St? I've read about it many times, I was too young to remember that stuff. @KJHburg?

• Like 2

Coleslaw wrestling? Seriously... I did go to Hartigans once to see lesbian pudding wrestling. Anyway, Robert Krumbine, now with cccp was the mind behind those pop up restaurants/bars. There was not much uptown at the time aside from the mythos strip.  City fair hadnt even happened yet. They had to do something.

ill ask if he has any photos.

Edited by CLTNative
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Churches are living histories and church cemeteries are even moreso. A fine work found here:

https://www.amazon.com/Sticks-Stones-Gravemarkers-Architecture-Decorative/dp/0807824178

by Ruth Little describes many in our region and elsewhere in North Carolina. Ruth Little wrote the architectural and historical guide to Dilworth which was the basis for the addition to the National Register of Historic Places.  

For instance, as history, the Steele Creek Presbyterian church cemetery has as its first interment in 1763  a stranger passing through, name unknown. He struck a limb while on horseback, if I recall correctly and was buried by the church members. It is redundant to describe more as we all know what the past tells us. Grave art, plagues, child mortality, wars, the story is there, we must but look.

• Like 3

This is from Epicenter thread that strayed to civil engineering fails:

It is possible to overcome some civil engineering liabilities. My best example is the Tyvola Road Coliseum. That area had a landfill, abutting a waste treatment plant with high power lines across. NO ONE would take that land even if offered as a gift. The city extended Tyvola to make a gateway to the airport, built the Coliseum, covered the landfill and made it a park and recreation area and suddenly (20 years later) all that is considered as amenities. The treatment plant is sequesterd on the opposite side of a new Graham Parkway from the development and presto-change-o, offices, housing, retail and restaurants and no one knows a thing about the underground and nearby issues of the past.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

ca. 1905-1915

ca. 1915-1930

Um... According to these postcards Charlotte was a veritable Metropolis of a small town in the first half of the 20th Century.

Look at pics #1 and #4: two shots of E Trade St, with the Hotel Charlotte building located in the center of each. That entire stretch doesn't exist anymore (except for that tiny strip across from the Federal Courthouse).

Oof...

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

On 4/23/2019 at 11:28 AM, tarhoosier said:

This is from Epicenter thread that strayed to civil engineering fails:

It is possible to overcome some civil engineering liabilities. My best example is the Tyvola Road Coliseum. That area had a landfill, abutting a waste treatment plant with high power lines across. NO ONE would take that land even if offered as a gift. The city extended Tyvola to make a gateway to the airport, built the Coliseum, covered the landfill and made it a park and recreation area and suddenly (20 years later) all that is considered as amenities. The treatment plant is sequesterd on the opposite side of a new Graham Parkway from the development and presto-change-o, offices, housing, retail and restaurants and no one knows a thing about the underground and nearby issues of the past.

http://discovermagazine.com/1997/jun/atplayonafieldof1150

Interesting article about the Renaissance Park landfill.

• Thanks 2

Oh, yes, I recall the woman looking for the soccer ball and being blown back by the methane fireball.

Full Disclosure: when the landfill was open I cleaned the debris from my basement and dropped it there. It was weigh-in and weigh-out payment system. There is an antique outboard motor and other trash under there from my contribution. 

• Like 1