Ballantyne

underoak

7 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Ballantyne starting to give off Tyson’s Corner vibes.  Way too many parking lots to be truly urban, but getting there. Southend and Ballantyne “skylines” now becoming taller than SouthPark. 

FFAF902D-90FF-4FFF-B493-9FC2A2EE81C1.jpeg

D6A3F64A-AED2-48F0-AF27-8B787511F071.jpeg

EA27DCA0-838A-4811-8428-EBE33F22CF7F.jpeg

Does anyone know the final height of the Apartment Building or Hotel being developed?   @KJHburg mentioned in a previous thread that the Hawk in Southend was 176’ tall.  I think both these buildings in Ballantyne will be slightly taller than that hopefully both will break the 200’ mark

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 7:24 PM, KJHburg said:

as a former resident of Fairfax County VA I know the Tyson Corner area well including this "gem" known as the Toilet Bowl Bldg on Chain Bridge Road LOL  And Ballantyne is no Tysons Corner!   

See the source image

I know that building and have passed by it dozens of times, but never knew it was called the Toilet Bowl Building.  I'll never see it the same way again.  And please don't let Ballantyne turn into a Tysons Corner.  That place is a traffic nightmare.  Fortunately Metro goes through there now  but it's still a mess.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 12:35 PM, JeanClt said:

IMO that street is very massive and traffic heavy as well at many points during the day. I don’t think removing the gates and placing them elsewhere to make room for corner buildings would do much to help the intersection. Pedestrians would have a hard time crossing to get to the other side. Besides looking not like a corporate park (which Ballantyne currently is) is not going to help it NOT be a corporate park. The roads are just too wide and the current lack of density would prevent much pedestrian activity on those corners. Either way having a building there or not wouldn’t change much. That’s why I think the reimagined part is very focused on the top half where roads can be constructed pedestrian friendly, narrower, and for lighter traffic.
94a16006752d75fd7f3a0c7a7a6f4229.jpg

http://reimagined.projectballantyne.com/ballantyne-reimagined/

That is why this that bottom area is not really included in the plans.

I totally understand that this intersection is not appropriate for pedestrian traffic. I wasn't actually advocating for trying to turn it into a neighborhood area or intersection, only improving its appearance by adding buildings at the corners, each of which would simply be an addition to its discrete shopping area, and wouldn't necessarily have to 'interact' with any of the other three. Each building would simply be additional retail, or even office, square footage, 'supported' by the existing parking lots, and would have low likelihood of encouraging people to cross either road; I highly doubt individuals driving to that area would be inclined to do anything but drive from parking lot to parking lot if they had business in several.

I still simply think that intersection is the opposite of...contributing, in any visual or even substantive way, to making Ballantyne appear than anything other than an overgrown office park, and I still contend that constructing sidewalk-adjacent buildings at each corner of that intersection would be a strong visual, as well as substantive, way of making the area more than a planned 1990s, car-centric space.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New Novant Ballantyne hospital breaks ground.  Novant Health starts construction on Ballantyne hospital - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)   Looks like it is 4 stories. 

This hospital is 36 beds plus a couple of operating rooms.

In Holly Springs a south Wake County town they are getting a 7 story hospital wonder why they don't build a little taller here?  This photo is 50 bed UNC Rex Hospital in Holly Springs 

IMG_2113.JPG

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

New Novant Ballantyne hospital breaks ground.  Novant Health starts construction on Ballantyne hospital - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)   Looks like it is 4 stories. 

This hospital is 36 beds plus a couple of operating rooms.

In Holly Springs a south Wake County town they are getting a 7 story hospital wonder why they don't build a little taller here?  This photo is 50 bed UNC Rex Hospital in Holly Springs 

After about 3-5 stories the need for elevators increases.  My guess is with 36 beds that allowed the most efficient use of space.  I mean 36 beds really only need 1-3 stories.  The 4 story part is going to be the Medical Office Building. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

True but hospitals build the long game and for the future.  They always grow so it seems to start off a bit higher density for the future is a better option.  

I guarantee you they have a an expansion plan, and that site has plenty of room.  To put in into perspective Presbyterian's main campus is about 63 acres, and that includes a 3 story hospital and the land banking west of Hawthorne .  Heck take out the surface parking on the site and they are darn near the same size.  Presby is over 600 beds plus whatever the ortho hospital has, and something like 8 MOBs.  Granted the Ballantyne site has storm water issues so it will never get that dense, but there is plenty of room to expand when the time comes.