Downtown Library Plans

dan326

Which plan do you like the best?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The Plans

• Renovation
    • Renovation & Expansion
    • New Facility

I'd like to see red instead of yellow. This is the Red Stick; is it not?

I prefer that designers shy away from cliche references; otherwise the interior of every building on LSU's campus would be purple and gold and every civic related interior would be red, etc. While there are examples where this has been tastefully implemented it can very easily go overboard. However, I am sure red could have worked just as well.

Slightly off topic, but in the recent stadium renovation the "LSU" logo is placed about every 10 feet in some manner, most commonly in the metal work. I would say most people know exactly where they are when standing outside of Tiger Stadium and the over use of the logo is distracting and detracts from the beautiful architecture. Simple metal work would have sufficed. 

I guess they had to do something to distract Tiger Stadium patrons from the west side upper deck....and that damned sewer pipe and fireproofing hanging beneath it.

Did they modify the plans for south expansion? I was concerned with the placement of the arches....they weren't holding anything up. Convinced they are going to screw it up.

Edited by cajun

I guess they had to do something to distract Tiger Stadium patrons from the west side upper deck....and that damned sewer pipe and fireproofing hanging beneath it.

Did they modify the plans for south expansion? I was concerned with the placement of the arches....they weren't holding anything up. Convinced they are going to screw it up.

The underside of the west upper deck was originally supposed to be clad in the same louvers that shade the windows, unfortunately due to Katrina and Rita, the cladding was eliminated to reduce cost. 

No, the plans for the south end zone remain the same, I think once completed it will most likely look ridiculous. 

The louvers on the windows are hated by many as well. Those were original to the design?

Trying to imagine what it would have looked like. I always thought they'd hang banners there or put another intimidator there to cover it up.

Edited by cajun

The louvers on the windows are hated by many as well. Those were original to the design?

Trying to imagine what it would have looked like. I always thought they'd hang banners there or put another intimidator there to cover it up.

I think the louvers look great. There is more architecture happening in the west side upper deck than the new south end zone could ever hope to achieve. 

Trahan Architects have really refined their use of louvers, especially with the new Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame, which opened this month btw.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=464911523562128&set=pb.106748096045141.-2207520000.1374246023.&type=3&theater

I posted a pic  of the Sports Hall of Fame a couple weeks ago in La.Photo  the Day...agreed...it's ugly!

New downtown BR library offers cafe, meeting space, technology wall

The “library of the future” envisioned in downtown Baton Rouge features a first-floor cafe, a rooftop terrace, spacious conference rooms and an exterior “technology wall” that could be used to show movies to crowds gathering in Galvez Plaza.

The $19 million remake of the River Center Branch Library will also offer advanced technology, an entire floor dedicated to children and an abundance of windows with “stunning” views of the Mississippi River and the North Boulevard Town Square, architect Rex Cabaniss said.“We wanted to take advantage of this very unique urban area,” Cabaniss said, adding the approximately 50,000-square-foot building will, in many ways, be “the opposite” of what it is now. “There’s nothing else quite like it in Baton Rouge

http://theadvocate.com/home/6546299-125/new-downtown-br-library-offers

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

People said the same of the Shaw Center.

Apparently that's the main criteria for some architects.

This is the extent of the vetting process for public buildings:

Ego-driven architect:

"We'll, everyone hates this tin foil look, so I think that's the direction we are going for the new art museum/library/taxpayer populist project of the day. No one will like it but everyone will look at it. The building will get an award for being hideous and stroke my ego simultaneously."

Ego-driven architect's young assistant: "Oh wow, this looks amazing. Nothing else like it. Clearly no one has done this before because it's pure awesome. You are awesome. I'll send a rendering over to the mayor's office just as soon as I photoshop some thin white people walking around and a couple of expensive cars in front of it."

Progressive mayor of progressive city that likes progressive things:

"Wow! This will be so much better than a parking lot"

Progressive City Downtown Chamber of Buzzwords: "We have to back this vibrant new building in the local media to create buzz....they even photoshopped vibrant people in the rendering. We need people. Lots of them. Only the vibrant ones that vibrate, though. This will create a vibrant synergy with our other vibrant project on this vibrant corridor."

Urbanplanet poster: "It's nowhere near tall enough"

Builder/Engineering firm: "Yay! A building! My favorite thing!"

Planning commission: "Hey look! A building! Let's approve it!"

14 months later

Taxpayer: "That building looks like a clothes hanger wrapped in aluminum foil. Are you sure they finished construction? Looks like a giant metal Taco Bell."

Progressive city Progressive Museum trust: "....so...uh....what do we put inside of this building? Looks like a prison urinal."

Progressive city Museum Visitor: "Wait...where the hell do I park? Screw this! Let's go to the Olive Garden."

Progressive City University senior: "Where the hell is the bar in this place? Looks like a stainless refrigerator with wings."

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

In addition to wishing it had red instead of yellow, I wish some of the massive amount of money allotted for this project could have saved the mural in the Pan American Suite at the Bellemont. It would've made a great memorial to such a storied part of Baton Rouge history. It was an ugly mural, sure...but the appearance wasn't what was great about it. The new downtown library could have been a perfect home for it. 

Sorry. That was my nostalgia for the day. 

• Like 2

In addition to wishing it had red instead of yellow, I wish some of the massive amount of money allotted for this project could have saved the mural in the Pan American Suite at the Bellemont. It would've made a great memorial to such a storied part of Baton Rouge history. It was an ugly mural, sure...but the appearance wasn't what was great about it. The new downtown library could have been a perfect home for it. 

Sorry. That was my nostalgia for the day. 

I love that idea.

• Like 1

I heard about the mural. I know a roof collapsed around it years before demo, but it was salvageable. You are right....it would have gone very well in this library.

For people my age, it's hard to imagine the Belmont ever being a nice hotel. It was one of the best in the state at one point although practically in the middle of nowhere a half century ago.

The Billy Cannon portrait in the hotel did "grow legs" and walk out of the building prior to demo work, thankfully.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Did anyone watch the news last night? They were talking about rental plans for a temporary downtown library. They showed renderings of the Trahan design instead of the atrocious, vacuum attachment, paper-craft lookin' current design. I wonder if the library board asked them to use that so people wouldn't be as mad that they have to spend $100,000's leasing a temporary location? Honestly I feel like if that's the best they could come up with for $19 million they might as well just save their money and keep what they have, white wash the stone and replace the glass with fancy blue glass like One57 in New York City.

24 minutes ago, dan326 said:

Did anyone watch the news last night? They were talking about rental plans for a temporary downtown library. They showed renderings of the Trahan design instead of the atrocious, vacuum attachment, paper-craft lookin' current design. I wonder if the library board asked them to use that so people wouldn't be as mad that they have to spend $100,000's leasing a temporary location? Honestly I feel like if that's the best they could come up with for $19 million they might as well just save their money and keep what they have, white wash the stone and replace the glass with fancy blue glass like One57 in New York City.

I didn't see the news, but I read about it this morning I think they should just renovate the library it would cost less. All they have to do is update the library with better technology just like they are doing with the other libraries in the parish. 

Edited by greg225

On 1/28/2016 at 1:31 PM, greg225 said:

I didn't see the news, but I read about it this morning I think they should just renovate the library it would cost less. All they have to do is update the library with better technology just like they are doing with the other libraries in the parish. 

Yeah, I second this. The current design is just hideous, a renovation could be cheaper and look better. 

• 3 weeks later...

This war has been going on for 10 years now.... surprisingly a renovation is not that cheap either...Structurally, the 26,530-square-foot library needs to be brought up to code, and the infrastructure needs to accommodate technological advancements. A more modern flair wouldn't hurt either...it could complement the Shaw Center for the Arts across the North Boulevard Town Square

Downtown deserves a new signature branch...thought a different location on the other side of the New Courthouse;  demolishing the old EBRATS Bldg...but that was renovated into a Holiday Inn Express...which i think is not a good location for a hotel. Let the city use the current old library building for Visit BR(Area & Convention ) offices

Like the view of downtown from the top deck of that last pic on bottom

A MESSAGE FROM THE DDD
libraryheader_emailheader4.jpg
img-spacer.gif
downtown library

120 St. Louis Street

New River Center Library to feature state of the art technology, meeting spaces, activity spaces, outdoor terraces and much more!

The Downtown Library will be the centerpiece of North Boulevard Town Square & the Central Green - a place where our City's civic and cultural attractions come together.

Designed by WHLC Architecture & Schwartz/Silver a joint venture, the approximately 50,000 square feet new library will encompass four floors of dynamic spaces for students, families, and business professionals. $19 million for the project was allocated and approved by the Metropolitan Council in 2010 and library officials expect the project to begin construction soon, with an estimated completion time of 30 months.

Currently, the River Center Branch Library offers 127,000 cataloged items and welcomes over 90,000 patrons every year; 2,000 patrons a month accessing the free computers and wi-fi.

A temporary location on Third Street to house the library's resources and activities during construction has been identified and the EBR Library Board of Control is seeking approval from the Metropolitan Council to lease this space at the February 24th Metropolitan Council meeting.

New Library amenities below!

Technology
Large Markerspace outfitted with high tech equipment, Media Studios, Computer Commons & Laptop Bars

Meeting Spaces
Large meeting room open to the Rooftop Terrace, 3 conference rooms with video conferencing, Public Rooftop Terrace with sweeping views of Town Square, Old State Capitol, Shaw Center, & Mississippi River.

Activity Spaces
Children's Tech Area, Story Time Room, Teen Activity Room with Workshops, Classes, Video Gaming, Adult Business Pods, & Grants Research Center

Check out the recently released images and the Library calendar below.

img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif Library IMages >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif Library calendar >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif

I know construction is definitely moving forward though. They recently started moving books and such into the old Gaudchaux's building in North Baton Rouge. 

I wish they would build a new City Hall and make it Neo-Gothic to match the Old State Capitol Building and give the area a unique architectural flare.