The Good News Report

atlrvr

Good news sublease office space is not piling up like in other cities here in Charlotte.  Lots of sublease space means lower rents for office space which in turns leads to less new office buildings.

Look at Austin and Nashville for example.  Nashville is smaller office market than Charlotte and Austin is roughly the same size. 

https://www.us.jll.com/en/views/snapshots/charlotte-snapshot-10-12

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

the ULI and PWC annual real estate report is out and drumroll please Charlotte is in the top 5 cities for real estate all types this year.  Besting us is our rivals Austin, Raleigh Durham (see my post in learning from others about some of their upcoming projects) Nashville,  Charlotte at #4 and Boston rounding out the top 5.  Cover photo goes to uptown Charlotte from 1st Ward Park.   Page 27 is where the rankings are.  Only huge Texas and NC have 2 metros in the top 10 but only NC has two metros in the top 5. 

download your report here

https://www.pwc.com/us/en/industries/asset-wealth-management/real-estate/emerging-trends-in-real-estate.html

there is a lot for me to go through and I will review it over the next couple days but it offers good comparison with all our rivals and how we compare nationally in taxes, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

the ULI and PWC annual real estate report is out and drumroll please Charlotte is in the top 5 cities for real estate all types this year.  Besting us is our rivals Austin, Raleigh Durham (see my post in learning from others about some of their upcoming projects) Nashville,  Charlotte at #4 and Boston rounding out the top 5.  Cover photo goes to uptown Charlotte from 1st Ward Park.   Page 27 is where the rankings are.  Only huge Texas and NC have 2 metros in the top 10 but only NC has two metros in the top 5. 

download your report here

https://www.pwc.com/us/en/industries/asset-wealth-management/real-estate/emerging-trends-in-real-estate.html

there is a lot for me to go through and I will review it over the next couple days but it offers good comparison with all our rivals and how we compare nationally in taxes, etc.

one has to love the coinages in these reports.  "Hipsturbia"

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Good news film activity is picking up in the Tar Heel State due to leaving large cities.   In fact a GM commercial was just filmed in the OBX over the new Oregon Inlet Bridge and most car commercials are filmed in LA or San Fran. 

https://www.wfae.org/business/2020-11-19/film-producers-eye-nc-as-pandemic-rages-elsewhere-says-film-office

Tomorrow night on Hallmark the Charlotte filmed "Nashville Christmas Carol" is being shown.    Make it a drinking game if you wish take a swig of something everytime a Charlotte landmark or house is shown.  I think you will see NASCAR Plaza, homes in Cotwold and Huntersville and Blumenthal.  

They film Nashville Christmas Carol.... In Charlotte? lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Blue_Devil said:

They film Nashville Christmas Carol.... In Charlotte? lol

Yes Charlotte has now doubled for Nashville and NYC in Hallmark films the last 2 years.  The Grand Ole Opry might be located at the Blumenthal for this movie LOL 

hey we are Char-LIT lets remember. 

Get your merch here

https://brandcharlit.com/

and this is not affiliated with KJ Diversified Industries in any way 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Yes Charlotte has now doubled for Nashville and NYC in Hallmark films the last 2 years.  The Grand Ole Opry might be located at the Blumenthal for this movie LOL 

hey we are Char-LIT lets remember. 

Get your merch here

https://brandcharlit.com/

and this is not affiliated with KJ Diversified Industries in any way 

Re-watching homeland was fun, seeing Charlotte though out for the first 5 seasons. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't really sure where to put this, so dropping it here. This particular news isn't directly related to Charlotte, but something to keep an eye on with the constant speculation of a Wells Fargo HQ move to the Queen City. HP Enterprise (the storage/networking/server arm of the old HP) is moving their HQ from Silicon Valley to Texas. This is the latest in a series of HQ exits from California's unfriendly business climate. This certainly won't be the last company to leave CA either. I worked for HP/HPE up until a few years ago and know how significant of a change this is for the company given their ties to Silicon Valley. Much like Wells Fargo, HP was deeply rooted in the Bay Area of San Francisco dating back to their founding in 1939. Obviously the pandemic has changed the way we work, and the need for super expensive real estate in states like California is being lessened. Especially if you can attract the same talent in a lower cost metro area such as CLT. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hewlett-packard-enterprise-leave-silicon-020027107.html

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Wasn't really sure where to put this, so dropping it here. This particular news isn't directly related to Charlotte, but something to keep an eye on with the constant speculation of a Wells Fargo HQ move to the Queen City. HP Enterprise (the storage/networking/server arm of the old HP) is moving their HQ from Silicon Valley to Texas. This is the latest in a series of HQ exits from California's unfriendly business climate. This certainly won't be the last company to leave CA either. I worked for HP/HPE up until a few years ago and know how significant of a change this is for the company given their ties to Silicon Valley. Much like Wells Fargo, HP was deeply rooted in the Bay Area of San Francisco dating back to their founding in 1939. Obviously the pandemic has changed the way we work, and the need for super expensive real estate in states like California is being lessened. Especially if you can attract the same talent in a lower cost metro area such as CLT. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hewlett-packard-enterprise-leave-silicon-020027107.html

Texas seems to be landing a lot of the HQ's out if California. Hopefully NC can get in in the action.....

NC has but not Charlotte.  Durham is the HQ for the formerly Silicon Valley based Avaya multibillion company.  

Durham is new home for collaboration solutions provider Avaya's corporate HQ | WRAL TechWire

For the life of me I do not know why Wells would consider SFO its HQ other than history given the environment there and the fact no major executive even lives or works there now. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

I'm actually guessing Vanguard, but not at LoSo....pure speculation....

There is a Citigroup rumor in the compliance circles here. But I wouldn't think this is that. Maybe though, they have some consent orders being issued and are Poaching from Wells and BOA. Two people I know who live in Charlotte are going to work for Citi but staying local. I imagine a hub is going to open, but they are not posting jobs here yet. 

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I will bite.  It couldbe an expansion of Allstates hub here on Cousins newly acquired property as @atlrvr hinted or maybe Vanguard resurfaces.

I can't recall from past announcements, but should we read into the lack of modifiers...e.g. "econ dev announcement" as opposed to "major econ dev announcement?"

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

I can't recall from past announcements, but should we read into the lack of modifiers...e.g. "econ dev announcement" as opposed to "major econ dev announcement?"

Hmm not sure as I did not see the official announcement and I know Centene was pitched as a MAJOR but sometimes they are not. 

• Like 1