Armchair Developer/Planner

dan326

I saw this on another forum and thought it was a good idea. Basically, just post and explain your ideas of what you think would be a good development or planning for around town and the metro area.

As my development idea I think they should sell off all that land between between Bluebonnet and Essen and turn it into some kind of huge business park.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice thread Dan! Like yall's ideas! I have plenty of ideas; but I'll do my best to post them individually instead of just one long post.

I have mentioned this several times; and sketched up a little something. A "Digital" Lamar billboard for the Third Street parking garage! A "No brainer" IMO for the new Arts & Entertainment District.

I have talked to the people at Lamar; they really like the idea alot! The main problem is some of the silly-backwards thinking Metro-council members <_< There is an "ordinance" in place that says "no more billboards downtown"; but they are actually talking about the conventional "huge" pole in the w/ ground sign on top. That can be ugly I agree...

But my idea would to put the digital billboard on "bracket-like braces" on the side of the parking garage. It's funny how Master-New Urbanism guru Andres Duany is hired to help w/ ideas to revitalize downtown Providence RI; has this SAME exact idea!!! And locally-owned Lamar will put a digital billboard in downtown Pittsburgh on one of their parking garage/bus transit stations! Why not us too???

feb08022wi0.jpg

Why should Corporate Blvd; Bluebonnet Blvd; Sherwood Forest Blvd; I-12, etc. get these nice looking digital billboards and NOT downtown???

Nice thread Dan! Like yall's ideas! I have plenty of ideas; but I'll do my best to post them individually instead of just one long post.

I have mentioned this several times; and sketched up a little something. A "Digital" Lamar billboard for the Third Street parking garage! A "No brainer" IMO for the new Arts & Entertainment District.

I have talked to the people at Lamar; they really like the idea alot! The main problem is some of the silly-backwards thinking Metro-council members <_< There is an "ordinance" in place that says "no more billboards downtown"; but they are actually talking about the conventional "huge" pole in the w/ ground sign on top. That can be ugly I agree...

But my idea would to put the digital billboard on "bracket-like braces" on the side of the parking garage. It's funny how Master-New Urbanism guru Andres Duany is hired to help w/ ideas to revitalize downtown Providence RI; has this SAME exact idea!!! And locally-owned Lamar will put a digital billboard in downtown Pittsburgh on one of their parking garage/bus transit stations! Why not us too???

feb08022wi0.jpg

Why should Corporate Blvd; Bluebonnet Blvd; Sherwood Forest Blvd; I-12, etc. get these nice looking digital billboards and NOT downtown???

I have a few ideas about what I think Cortana needs to do to get back on track:

• #1 knock down that horrible Cortana Square shopping center and put up a new one like the power center at the Mall of Louisaina

• Knock at the mall ceilings and install skylights

• Install new floor tiles, something more natural colored/textured

• Ad a lifestyle center (like in rendering)

• New bathrooms

• New fixtures

• Get rid of those tacky chain stands and urban wear stores

There's more, but I can't remember it right now.

mallatcortanahi2.jpg

Things that I'd like to see:

-mandatory 20% green space in all new single family residential developments (zoned single family) in EBR, as well as a minimum 15' (at least 30' btw homes)set back from structure to property line and minimum lot widths to be at least 50'.

-more mid priced condominum options in downtown Baton Rouge, Essen/Jefferson/Bluebonnet, and Perkins.

-more police protection, especially in old south, downtown, and mid city.

-wider freeways btw LA415 in WBR out to Walker and Prarieville.

-Widen Airline highway to 6 lanes btw Florida Blvd and Plank Road...and remove some of those traffic signals. Maybe think about adding service roads and upgrading this to a freeway.

-more suburban gowth in West Baton Rouge.

-more charter and magnet schools. If EBR schools don't deliver, then I support more neighborhoods breaking off from the district to achieve this.

-No more flooding along eastern side of parish.

-Some trees or something in these medians.

-resurface College Drive already.

-Bury power lines at every major road....this should limit damage to neigbhorhoods during storms, which should make it easier to get the grid up and running.

-sign ordanances that are similar to those in place around Town Center on Corporate...nothing worse than seeing powerlines and ugly signs everywhere.

-no more billboards.

-use the street sweepers that EBR already owns every once and a while.

-More student housing and development in Old South Baton Rouge

-possible trolley or passenger rail around LSU (can't they fit one in the median on Nicholson and Highland?). Traffic in this area is crazy.

-Use prisoners to pick up trash in street right of way and in vacant properties as well as remove weeds and grass from sidewalks and curbs.....make it a 24/7 operation.

Good points all of you. I think the three most important things are Better Education, Better Wider Roads, and Better Jobs. Education will help attract jobs, and wider roads will make it easier for people to get to / from the jobs that are created.

I think we need to build the loop as a means to control urban sprawl and fill in the existing gaps. There is a huge empty lot along I10 near Essen. It would be awesome if a business park would be build there or something like Perkins Rowe, though I'd like to see a bit more height in that area versus PR. I think we need to build up downtown, and also build up around the I10 / I12 / Essen area..

For newly developed areas.. Widen the roads while you develop the area.. Heaven forbid the roads are build to handle their traffic. There is no reason why a 500 unit apartment complex or a shopping complex should have only one entrance to a two lane road.. Use common sense!

More good ideas yall!

Thanks alot nquint1 :thumbsup: Much appreciated. I agree cajun, no more billboards; with the exception of a digital billboard mounted on braces to the Third Street parking garage(above Post#3).

Would like to see a "overpass" on I-10 connecting CitiPlace/Corporate Square with the hotels/entertainment/restaurants on Constitution; allieviate some traffic on College Drive. Frontage roads along I-10 from College to Bluebonnet.

EA Sports is just the begining :shades: A "Digital City" for downtown or LSU...a catalyst for growth in the region!

digitalcityenglandvulo0.jpg

I'm always thinking of ways to beef-up BR's malnutritioned skyline :rolleyes: here are some ideas; even if they are "longshots" to ever get off the ground. It doesn't look promising a landmark high-rise tower will ever replace the 450'ft State Capitol as city's Tallest...What about a new 2nd, 3rd and 4th Tallest?? BR needs a new 2nd Tallest!

Dust off the old plans for the 30-story Fidelity Bank Tower...appox. 400-425ft' for the Fourth Street corridor btwn Chase Towers and One American Place; of course modernize/modify it and change the color if need be.

25fidelitybanktowercolofd8.jpg

Down just a few blocks on Fourth Street on surface parking lot near II City Plaza a "mixed-use" 350-370ft' tower. A retail/restaurant enteratainment complex(movie/bowling) implemented into the 8-story parking; office in the middle; about 150-units of residentail on top. Light-up at night w/ digital panels on the parking garage..BR's version of Times Square

dyneastvert7ibkf3.jpg

A "vertical" convention-style hotel tower for the River Center; something with a "WOW factor"... just one; take your pick "right or left"..something at least 23-stories. Unfortunately the renderings for the proposed hotels that would come don't look near this tall; something taller than the Marriott off I-10/College Drive PLEASE!

25riversidetowerscolorthj8.jpg

A new gleaming 20-story tower Sixth Street at Florida Blvd. A nice "anchor" for the eastern CBD.

199548pp4yu8.jpg

*courtesy Emporis.com

Maybe a miracle can happen with the 30-story River Place!! I would still like to see this happen!

preishotel071108nc3.jpg

BR's Skyline could be on the map for sure with all of this!!!

For Third Street to again look something like this at night!!!

brparac1b1a1ds1a1xp5.jpg

More affordable, dense mixed-use residential lofts like this; on the fringes of the downtown core; Nicholson; North Blvd; etc...

static1tl5ft2ls6.jpg

Of course a 330'ft "Red Stick" observation tower at Aububon Alive along the riverfront! And RiverPark! Develop the old Advocate site quick!!

More good ideas yall!

Thanks alot nquint1 :thumbsup: Much appreciated. I agree cajun, no more billboards; with the exception of a digital billboard mounted on braces to the Third Street parking garage(above Post#3).

Would like to see a "overpass" on I-10 connecting CitiPlace/Corporate Square with the hotels/entertainment/restaurants on Constitution; allieviate some traffic on College Drive. Frontage roads along I-10 from College to Bluebonnet.

EA Sports is just the begining :shades: A "Digital City" for downtown or LSU...a catalyst for growth in the region!

I'm always thinking of ways to beef-up BR's malnutritioned skyline :rolleyes: here are some ideas; even if they are "longshots" to ever get off the ground. It doesn't look promising a landmark high-rise tower will ever replace the 450'ft State Capitol as city's Tallest...What about a new 2nd, 3rd and 4th Tallest?? BR needs a new 2nd Tallest!

Dust off the old plans for the 30-story Fidelity Bank Tower...appox. 400-425ft' for the Fourth Street corridor btwn Chase Towers and One American Place; of course modernize/modify it and change the color if need be.

Down just a few blocks on Fourth Street on surface parking lot near II City Plaza a "mixed-use" 350-370ft' tower. A retail/restaurant enteratainment complex(movie/bowling) implemented into the 8-story parking; office in the middle; about 150-units of residentail on top. Light-up at night w/ digital panels on the parking garage..BR's version of Times Square

dyneastvert7ibkf3.jpg

A "vertical" convention-style hotel tower for the River Center; something with a "WOW factor"... just one; take your pick "right or left"..something at least 23-stories. Unfortunately the renderings for the proposed hotels that would come don't look near this tall; something taller than the Marriott off I-10/College Drive PLEASE!

A new gleaming 20-story tower Sixth Street at Florida Blvd. A nice "anchor" for the eastern CBD.

199548pp4yu8.jpg

*courtesy Emporis.com

Maybe a miracle can happen with the 30-story River Place!! I would still like to see this happen!

preishotel071108nc3.jpg

brparac1b1a1ds1a1xp5.jpg

More affordable, dense mixed-use residential lofts like this; on the fringes of the downtown core; Nicholson; North Blvd; etc...

static1tl5ft2ls6.jpg

Of course a 330'ft "Red Stick" observation tower at Aububon Alive along the riverfront! And RiverPark! Develop the old Advocate site quick!!

More good ideas yall!

dyneastvert7ibkf3.jpg

199548pp4yu8.jpg

*courtesy Emporis.com

preishotel071108nc3.jpg

brparac1b1a1ds1a1xp5.jpg

static1tl5ft2ls6.jpg

More good ideas yall!

dyneastvert7ibkf3.jpg

199548pp4yu8.jpg

*courtesy Emporis.com

preishotel071108nc3.jpg

brparac1b1a1ds1a1xp5.jpg

static1tl5ft2ls6.jpg

Development and gentrification of North Baton Rouge and Downtown

The north Baton Rouge area is well populated and has the necessary sources to perform a lot better than it has been currently. Southern University is the nation's largest HBCU, there are two medical centers, and Baton Rouge Metro Airport is also located there. These three things alone are enough to spark some kind of development, so here's what I'm proposing.

Harding Blvd needs to become more hotels, restaurants, and shoppinh to suit the visitors of BR Metro Airport and the convenience the 8-10000 students of Southern University. Due to the Southern University campus being bordered by the river to the west and the railroad to the east, the land along Scenic should be redeveloped to include small restaurants/hangouts for students as well as about two more apartment complexes for the students of Southern University.

Since BR Metro Airport is undergoing expansion, Harding Blvd should be taking steps to accommodate the visitors, as well as the influx of visitors for the Southern University football season.

Downtown.

If they wont allow or frown against building concepts taller than the State Capitol, then build shorter but denser. Although I am all for Riverplace Condominiums, I don't think that a residential tower should be the "landmark" tower for Baton Rouge. The Fidelity Bank Tower is a much better example, however I dont feel that the design is bold enough. By this building being the "landmark" tower, I think it should pay homage to the architectural style of Louisana. . something more like 909 Poydras or Place St. Charles in New Orleans.

909 Poydras

http://www.909poydras.com/images/building.jpg

Place St Charles

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/disp...303716d60b2.jpg

But I do believe that the State Capitol is set a bit far off to the left of downtown to actually be included in the skyline. I dont see where having a building taller than the Capitol would affect the character of the building in anyway. It is still set off to the left AND it its still the nation's tallest. I would LOVE to see more mid-rise residential development downtown, but although I prefer more traditional architectural concepts, I think that modern condos would look great on fourth street.

more Traditional concept

http://www.mlsni.com/photos/property/894/05229894.jpg

more modern concept

http://www.newcondosonline.com/photos/off1975.jpg

student housing concept

http://www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk/jpg...ad_aw070708.jpg

Buildings like this could also spark a revolution in lower class neighborhoods. . People want change.

>>> Posting pics of AW Mumford Stadium, A.A. Lenoir School of Law, and John B. Cade Library progress soon. . . . also Southern has announced plans to start construction of the Recreational Center, priced at $10.5 mil.

Great ideas SUSAstudent. North Baton Rouge needs some attention, but I am sure that the refineries have a huge impact on property values and desirability between downtown and Airline(old bridge). So I imagine that only around southern and the airport would real development take place.

Also, just for the record, there is absolutely no ordinance preventing buildings being built in baton rouge that are taller then the state capitol, nor is it frowned upon, since the planning commission approved River Place, which originally would have been taller then the state capitol.

Like your ideas SUSAstudent! One of those NOLA-style towers would be nice for downtown BR. I like the idea of more multi-storied student housing! So many people have moved from NBR east...Park Forest, Monticello; Villa Del Rey, etc.

I am a big fan of Howell Place and mentioned it here many times!!! Hopefully they get that YMCA soon?? The new medical clinic was also a step in the right direction! Yes Exxon is a big hinderance for good development. True cajun, Airline should be widen 6-lanes!

Still really hoping for the 200-acre Arden TND in Smiley Heights(between Ardenwood/Lobdell/Greenwell Springs Rd) would happen; may be too big a task now for Commercial Properties??? Could have been some great infil! The new Capitol Middle and Eden Park library brach look nice on it's edges!

Despite Gardere's problems(police protection have tried stepping up) development continues to surround it on nearly all sides; Cypress Mounds baseball-complex; several upscale subdivisions and condo's including Lexington Estates and Indigo Park; possibly the new gambling casino??; and the growing south LSU campus. Is Gardere being sqeezed in or out??

DDD Director Davis Rhoerer confirmed it on "Ask the Advocate" about the myth that is the height ordinance. Like yall said "NO" height ordinance for the 450'ft. Capitol. The Capitol Grounds/park provide enough buffer-zone for the CBD. I also agree a residential tower should not be the city's tallest!! Maybe 3rd???

I have some stuff posted above that are real "long-shot" projects in these financially troubling times! All I was trying to say was (being more realistic) saying "I have a hard time seeing anything "NEW" being taller than the State Capitol"...hope I'm wrong. But it should not be asking too much to have a new tower taller than BR's 2nd Tallest One American Place at only 310'feet

Like your ideas SUSAstudent! One of those NOLA-style towers would be nice for downtown BR. I like the idea of more multi-storied student housing! So many people have moved from NBR east...Park Forest, Monticello; Villa Del Rey, etc.

I am a big fan of Howell Place and mentioned it here many times!!! Hopefully they get that YMCA soon?? The new medical clinic was also a step in the right direction! Yes Exxon is a big hinderance for good development. True cajun, Airline should be widen 6-lanes!

Still really hoping for the 200-acre Arden TND in Smiley Heights(between Ardenwood/Lobdell/Greenwell Springs Rd) would happen; may be too big a task now for Commercial Properties??? Could have been some great infil! The new Capitol Middle and Eden Park library brach look nice on it's edges!

Despite Gardere's problems(police protection have tried stepping up) development continues to surround it on nearly all sides; Cypress Mounds baseball-complex; several upscale subdivisions and condo's including Lexington Estates and Indigo Park; possibly the new gambling casino??; and the growing south LSU campus. Is Gardere being sqeezed in or out??

DDD Director Davis Rhoerer confirmed it on "Ask the Advocate" about the myth that is the height ordinance. Like yall said "NO" height ordinance for the 450'ft. Capitol. The Capitol Grounds/park provide enough buffer-zone for the CBD. I also agree a residential tower should not be the city's tallest!! Maybe 3rd???

I have some stuff posted above that are real "long-shot" projects in these financially troubling times! All I was trying to say was (being more realistic) saying "I have a hard time seeing anything "NEW" being taller than the State Capitol"...hope I'm wrong. But it should not be asking too much to have a new tower taller than BR's 2nd Tallest One American Place at only 310'feet

^ Looks like we have alot of the same idea's for BR's growing skyline! :thumbsup: Your 18-story condo's look nice; hopefully the RiverPark will one day happen??

*CURRENT "Tallest" RANKINGS*

>State Capitol - 450'ft

>One American Place - 310'ft

>Chase Tower - 277'ft

>Riverside North(Chase)- 229'ft

>Marriott - 224'ft

>>Adding my proposals mentioned above......... :shades: would DROP One American Place from 2nd down to 5th!!!

>State Capitol - 450'ft

*Capitol One Plaza - 400-425'ft

*Shaw Tower(mixed-use)- 350-370'ft

*RiverPlace - 350'ft

>One American Place - 310'ft

>Chase Tower - 277'ft

*Convention Center Hotel - 250'ft

>Riverside North(Chase)- 229'ft

>Marriott - 224'ft

My proposal for a 20-story tower for Sixth Street may be too tall?? In the financially troubling times I'd settle for something even "1/2"; like the 10-stories mentioned a few years ago.

The Shaw Tower mixed-use would be a similar color scheme to Shaw Center for the Arts; it could be built between there and II City Plaza.

It's doubtful the proposed larger 300-room hotel at River Center (part of Holden's bond issue) will be taller than the Marriott at College/I-10. Especially since it's not supposed to go on top of the west parking garage.

Eventually a nice cutting edge mid-rise will go up at the Old Advocate site along the riverfront; and a few more mid-rises for Third Street for density.

What great ideas! I guess it was a good idea to make this thread. :D

No offence, but if you didn't think that Fidelity Bank tower provided enough pop, than looking to New Orleans is looking in the wrong direction. Now Charlotte or Atlanta know how to make some skyscrapers! :D

• 1 month later...

Call it a Christmas wishlist(Part 2)...continued from my above Post. Maybe if BR can retain more of those young professionals BusinessReport was talking about + the turbulent economic times go on vacation?? maybe?? just maybe BR can pull something off!

^ Hey Dan...we can just stretch Shaw's HQ's into a 30-story 400ft' tower?? That would work between Chase Towers & One American Place! BR needs a new 2nd Tallest!!!

Just make sure there is a lighted-crown; something like this?? It would say BR is Open for Business!

317342xv3di2.jpg

*courtesy of emporis.com

There is no defined area known as Uptown; though there are a few area's of BR that could qualify having that "Uptown" feel. Some crucial (Smart Growth) "infil" for the large undeveloped land; a.k.a. Gustav Mulch Factory; and turn it into an urban village; call it UPTOWN VILLAGE across Corporate Blvd from CitiPlace. It could be a great addition between Corporate Square/CitiPlace to the west and Towne Center to the east. Some of that land in the back would remain for the lush green oasis that is Cedar Lodge horse ranch. Uptown Village would be on BOTH side of Ward's Creek.

atlanta1hotelkm5.jpg

This condo tower could be the anchor of Uptown Village and compliment the nearby Marriott; as a companion tower

atlantabrookwoodit5.jpg

A nice condo like this behind the linnear buildings on Third Street; on the surface parking lot across from the Commerce Bldg; or maybe Main Street??

westgate1jq4.jpg

Higher density residential infil along the edges of downtown; maybe between I-110 & North Blvd RR Overpass

e5thwalnut3mn5.jpg

A "Legit" convention style high-rise hotel for the expanding RiverCenter; maybe a HYATT or WESTIN??

25centreregencycolort18du9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Was not sure WHERE to post this???

Hey Buckett5425...what do you know about this?? Thought this was pretty cool; liked some of these ideas too!! I'd really like to see the rendering for the winning entry!

Downtown plans compete LSU students develop ideas for riverfront

LSU landscape architecture students on Friday focused their creative energies on tackling one of Baton Rouge

Archived