Meijer to replace 28th/Kalamazoo Ave store

Rybak 187

Wall St Journal a month ago reported that Walmart is once again trying to get their foot back in the door in downtown Chicago. Cities can no longer afford to say 'no'. Expect big retailers with financial muscle to take advantage of this.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wall St Journal a month ago reported that Walmart is once again trying to get their foot back in the door in downtown Chicago. Cities can no longer afford to say 'no'. Expect big retailers with financial muscle to take advantage of this.

An article today in the Press:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michiga...thrifty_ac.html

An article today in the Press:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michiga...thrifty_ac.html

I am suprised by the revival of the plan. I thought for sure Meijer would eventually shutter the old 28th store and replace with a store else where after the smack in the face the planning commission responded with. Given the economic crisis and the obsolescence of the old store, let's just hope the planning commission has enough sense to realize that beggars can't be choosers.

I think everybody here is in agreement that the planning commission is smoking something we all would like to use. In anycase I am glad they are putting this back up to vote. BTW the readers on mlive half of them do not even read the article. Its hillarous to see them comment that heartwell is stuck in the 50's. Heartwell as the mayor can replace anybody on any committee when thier time is up if he wants. If you think the people he replaces them with are not capable then replace the mayor.

I am not in agreement with you. Please do not try to speak for me.

Grand Rapids is a "global operation". The behind the scenes politics is done by global leaders.

I shop at that Meijers but would be willing to go to another Meijer while they tear it down to build a new improved super store that is needed there.

~John

• 1 month later...

The Meijer store rebuild on 28th St is back on the PC agenda, April 23rd.

For those who enjoy this sort of thing (besides moi), here's the e-packet.

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_...d59d19b42ae.pdf

Charts, graphs, letters, comments, minutes, discussion...start at page 114.

ETA: One of the neighbors has submitted an interesting response, complete with photos and descriptions. Huh.

For those who enjoy this sort of thing (besides moi), here's the e-packet.

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/download_...d59d19b42ae.pdf

Charts, graphs, letters, comments, minutes, discussion...start at page 114.

ETA: One of the neighbors has submitted an interesting response, complete with photos and descriptions. Huh.

Looks good to me. Come on Planning Commission approve Meijer's plans this time.

Looks like the ArtPrize has overshadowed the news about the planning commission approving the project today.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/ind...commissi_2.html

~John

Not on the FOX 17 newscast, they lead with the Meijer story...

We'll see what the rest do @ 11:00

[EDIT]

Here's your box scores:

WZZM: Lead with Chrysler Ch. 11/Unemployment figures, Art story approx 10:00 in before 1st break

WOOD: Lead with Chrysler Ch. 11/Unemployment figures, Art story approx. 7:00 in, followed by Meijer before 1st break

WMMT: Lead with Chrysler Ch. 11/Unemployment figures, neither stories before 1st break, Art @ 23:00 in

WXMI: Lead with Meijer story

Thanks for watching, drive home safely...

Thank goodness! It's about time! Anyone know timeframe?

If it was approved yesterday (final agenda item, the permit desk would have closed) they need to pull their building and other permits.

I will have to start swinging by that store to see what they post for the "guests." (Hate that word. I am a customer, dammit!)

Thank goodness maybe this will spur more development in that area it has seen better times. And as for the neighbors if they dont like Meijer being so close move!!!! Meijer was there long before those houses were.

Not true. The neighborhood predates the store. Jim Elzenbrook, the main complainant, has even lived in his home since before the store was built.

I've never been opposed to this project - I live less than a mile from the store and shop there often. I will very much appreciate a new building in place of the dilapidated structure there currently. However, it is unfortunate (though expected) that Meijer's solution is a cookie-cutter big box that will encroach on the adjacent neighborhood. I know I wouldn't want to have a twelve-foot sound barrier right behind my backyard.

Hallelujah!!! :yahoo:

Common sense and sound judgement prevails! I'm glad the replacement store has finally gotten the green light from the PC. Looks like I will be getting my video cam and digi cam out so I can track some much needed Meijer construction activities.

now lets see if Meijer is willing to spend an extra half a million and purchase Studio 28 and provide a location for the North Wyoming area along with southwest Grand Rapids. But I do agree that the Kzoo store is going to provide a big bonus for the area. The other great item is the aspect that they can now sell some parts of their parking lot up front and create a closed in feel to the area.

Hallelujah!!! :yahoo:

Common sense and sound judgement prevails! I'm glad the replacement store has finally gotten the green light from the PC. Looks like I will be getting my video cam and digi cam out so I can track some much needed Meijer construction activities.

Not sure if it was common sense and judgment prevailing on this, since two of the planning commissioners who opposed the orginal application have been removed and replaced.....and a third resigned.

Seems more like politics prevailed on this one. And some questionable politics at that.

Not sure if it was common sense and judgment prevailing on this, since two of the planning commissioners who opposed the orginal application have been removed and replaced.....and a third resigned.

Seems more like politics prevailed on this one. And some questionable politics at that.

And I thought all politics are questionable. But yeah, Mayor Heartwell's actions are definately questionable.

I am glad to see that Meijer's is prevailing in providing improved service FOR the community.

~John

Who cares that 3 planning comminsioners got removed. You have to remember the planning commission members serve at the distraction of the city council and not the public. If you think it was wrong for them to be removed then just not vote for the council members. The planning commission handles jobs that the city council do not want to waste time and energy for and that is why we have them. It is very detailed job in how the buildings are put up and going through the plans. To give you an example, the Wyoming Planning Commission decided that the checkers that at the end was approved should have its front menu board removed but since it was not in the purview to do so they said that it must have tile if it were to placed on a pole or the front has to be brick per the city ordaince in the DDA.

Thats they type of detail that the planning commission has to deal with. So when the GR City Council felt that the PC was not doing its job in regards to one neighbor that complained and Meijer did its job by going over and above the call of duty in soundproofing they took action. That action was to tell them that if you dont allow a business to upgrade its facility when it covers all of the bases you will be removed because of lawsuit issues. Granted Meijer was not at the point of doing so, but a new building will increase the property values and as a result increase the income the city gets.

Who cares that 3 planning comminsioners got removed. You have to remember the planning commission members serve at the distraction of the city council and not the public. If you think it was wrong for them to be removed then just not vote for the council members. The planning commission handles jobs that the city council do not want to waste time and energy for and that is why we have them. It is very detailed job in how the buildings are put up and going through the plans. To give you an example, the Wyoming Planning Commission decided that the checkers that at the end was approved should have its front menu board removed but since it was not in the purview to do so they said that it must have tile if it were to placed on a pole or the front has to be brick per the city ordaince in the DDA.

Thats they type of detail that the planning commission has to deal with. So when the GR City Council felt that the PC was not doing its job in regards to one neighbor that complained and Meijer did its job by going over and above the call of duty in soundproofing they took action. That action was to tell them that if you dont allow a business to upgrade its facility when it covers all of the bases you will be removed because of lawsuit issues. Granted Meijer was not at the point of doing so, but a new building will increase the property values and as a result increase the income the city gets.

Besides not really being able to follow exactly what you are talking about it here, you (and anyone who gives a damn about the democratic process) should care if three planning commissioners got removed, particularly looking at the events that led to their removal and the underhanded way in which they were removed.

The planning commission serves the public and the public's health, safety and welfare....not the city commission. The city commission is an elected body, while the planning commission is not.... and there is a reason for that.

We can not let our planning decisions become political, and in this case they did.

Meijer's plan got rejected.

Planning commissioners who were instrumental in the rejection were removed.

New planning commissioners were put in place.

Meijer came back and magically got approval.

Is there not something wrong with that? Does the end justify the means?

What happens next time?

Maybe the mayor should just abolish the entire planning commission and let the city commission interpret the zoning ordinance. Or better yet, just get rid of the entire zoning ordinance and let whoever cries the loudest or whoever threatens leaving the city get their way.

Archived