The Boulevard

richyb83

I was not sure whether to finally post these?? not very pleased with the way they turned out bec. it was just too cloudy. But I said "what the heck".

Construction is still on going at The Boulevard; but a few of the Stores are open(ing). The new open-air lifestyle center expansion basically connects the Mall of La. main entrance to the Rave theatre.

*Taken a few weeks ago on March 26th

32608001eh7.jpg

The windows on the 2nd floor to the right are just for decration <_<

32608002om1.jpg

32608003yj4.jpg

32608004he7.jpg

construction; not exactly sure where the Borders Books will go??

32608005ho0.jpg

This rendering shows the original plan to have an actual "Boulevard" with tree-lined median and diagonal parking between the new stores. Wonder why they scrapped that idea altogether?? Does the "pedestrain only" promenade just make more sense??

41f6c6c785eea861ga9.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting some pics, Richy I've been waiting for somebody to. :D

I'm pretty sure the Borders bookstore is on the end to the right if your facing the Rave. It's a great location because it acts as a 6th anchor store and gives people a reason to walk through the whole Boulevard.

They should build a pedestrian bridge across that road to the Rave or offer some sort of buggy service. The Boulevard does go near the Rave, but the Rave is still a walk from the end.

I'm glad they did scrap the parking idea. The current idea has a much more intimate, comfortable, walkable feel. If they would have done that, the development would have been just a glorified strip mall. It probably would have had less pedestrian traffic as there would be more space to walk, all those cars zooming around would scare people, and there would be more exposure to the killer Louisiana summer sun. Most importantly, the number of stores increased and caused the facades for each to shrink, causing more detail to be put into each and eliminating that clunky and generic look of the original plans.

• 1 month later...

I like Barnes and Noble because of the huge selection, but I like Books-a-Million because it's usually less crowded and has better prices. Of course in selection, prices, and store environment Amazon.com beats them both. :D

I like the 2-story Barnes & Noble at CitiPlace than the new single-story one at Perkins Rowe. It just has a more open feel. Have not been to the new Books A-Million at Towne Center yet.

Interesting trend how the new open-air malls are trying to recreate the old Main Street feel.

I find this interesting too, Perkins Rowe is supposed to be BR's nicest development. Yet the Barnes and Noble is crappy, and dosnt even try to live up to the brand name. The store dosnt have any of the same details as other B & N stores. Okay, so maybe it was a little much to call the store crappy, it is very nice, but, it still dosnt compare to other B & N

The Barne's and Noble at CitiPlace is nice, with all the wood and fluer-di-lis ornaments, the Perkins Rowe was probably intenionally downsized so it wouldn't take away from the original. I rememeber there was doubt about whether B.R. could support two B&Ns. :rolleyes:

Has anybody noticed the ceiling is leaking in the new one? There are tiles missing on the ceiling with buckets under them. That's a bad way to start off. :( Could it possibly be the pool?

I drove by the Boulevard earlier today and the landscaping along Picardy is nice. Palm tree's are all over the place. Circuit City will be ready to open in about a month with the rest of the center where they are located not far behind.

Yeah they can just call that Baton Rouge's Palm Tree District when you combine everything from Mall of La./The Boulevard/Picardy Ave./Rave Theatre/ Swaggart's place to Perkins Rowe.

The Renaissance Hotel should be a nice start between Mall of La. and Perkins Rowe; maybe they can put a few Palm Trees in the median of Bluebonnet near there??

Wonder what will become of the Advocate's old print site??? in the giant brown building near R.R.; to the large chunk of vacant greenspace(the one with no trees) at the Picardy-Bluebonnet interesection. Very "Prime" property! A multi-story building would be best served there.

And a nice new residential tower; say maybe 14-stories to offset the two ugly twin 12-story Bluebonnet apartment towers. Call it the "Palms" at Buebonnet; it could be near the new approved bike/walking paths along the waterway(Dawson Creek) connecting The Grove and Perkins Rowe.

• 1 month later...

Circuit City has a now hiring sign, I drove up to the door and didn't see an estimated opening date. Does anyone know when it will open, and when the Dicks Sporting Goods will open? I'll be needing a new Hornets Jersey for next season anyways so sometime before end of October [/pray] :whistling:

Archived