Do you watch TV commercials?

Charlotteman

Am I the only one that finds TV commercials unbearable these days? Seems like an assault on the senses---loud and obnoxious flashing micro-second images, commercials are a vexation to the spirit. And it also seems like commercials feature things I would never buy.

For several years we've enjoyed DVR service in our home. So we pre-record everything we wish to see, so that we can fast forward through the continual commercial interuptions and banal station identification breaks etc.

I just wonder if there are people who still watch commercials these days? Surely advertisers must realize many people have found a way around their rubbish on TV. Will be interesting to see how TV advertisers will react to all the new zapping technologies that erase their ability to pollute our minds with their nonsense.

Any ideas?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try this little experiment. Flip through a sequence of 10 channels, pausing at each one to note whether its a commercial or a program. Use your discretion on defining what is commercial. I've done this several times now, and its surprising.... more than 60% of the content is advertising. I'm paying a monthly cable bill to be subjected to TV content that is 60% or more advertising. Time to cut a monthly bill.

I've had Tivo for many years and I can't stand to watch commercials. I have noticed that Tivo has been testing a new way of advertising by flashing an ad on the screen as you fast forward through the recorded content. I have only seen this on the CNET content that I choose to download through the Tivo service, but it may be one direction in which advertisers are headed as more people use DVR's and skip regular commercials.

My wife and I almost always fast forward through commercials. We're definitely spoiled by having a DVR and cringe every time that we have to sit through commercials if we're watching something live.

Sports and Lost are the only things I watch live because of the DVR luxury with Cox. Not only are the commercials not funny and obnoxious I feel like there are less and less on TV because when I do watch something live its the same ones over and over again.

I personally think TV commercials are a highly inefficient way for companies to drum up business. When I force myself to watch commercials (with the sound on mute of course) the products being harked are just not things I buy---a new car, feminine products, handy dandy orange cleaner, dice-o-matic, etc etc.

I can't think of a time that a TV commercial inspired me to buy something. Commercials are just something to sit through and be annoyed by.

From reading the posts here so far, other folks feel the same way. We're zapping through the garbage any time we can, and when we're forced to watch a show live we essentially go through psychological torture having to listen to all the b.s. commercials.

There are a few companies that produce decent commercials. I don't mind watching an TV ad for Apple for example. In previous years the Superbowl has had several high quality commercials but unfortunately most commercials aren't made to that high of a standard and are just plain annoying. The great commercials out there typically get overplayed causing annoyance for the viewer.

For me, commercials are what they are, a nice bathroom break. However, there are (were) only a few commercials that I would actually watch.

1. The Geico commercials are usually entertaining. Between the Cavemen and the Gecko, I never fail to laugh

2. The Aflack Duck, Gilbert Gottfried's squaking voice may be annoying in his other roles, but for the duck is hilarious

3. The Bud commercials with the NFL coaches doing press conferences were pretty amusing as well

4. And few years back, in Charlotte we had a series of commercials for Apple Auto Sales. they are usually entertaining as well. Many of the guys who frequent the Charlotte forum know what I'm talking about. The video speaks for itself.

^^^^^^^^hhhahhaa! Man that's a hoot!

If other commercials were that entertaining, advertisers wouldn't have to think about people zapping through them. When I lived in Florida, Publix grocery had sweet commercials with lovely music only, showing idyllic picnics with happy families. Everyone I knew watched Publix's commercials. Unfortunately most TV commercials are repulsive and best avoided when possible.

There are always two sides to every coin, and it would be interesting to hear the point of view of TV advertising execs, if any happen to be reading.

• 4 weeks later...

I record everything, specifically so I can zap commercials and save myself 10-15 minutes to do something else. But I have to say, I will watch a well-produced commercial. The problem is that too many companies resort to sensory overload, potty humor or cheesy gimmicks. Treat the audience like it's stupid and that's the kind of audience you will have... the rest of us have better things to do with our time.

I also change the radio immediately during commercials, which are 10 times worse than TV ads.

On another site I belong to, the worst commercials are being discussed. It would be fun to hear the ones ya'll think are the worst.

I live in the Seattle area, and to me the Everest College commercials shown here are the bottom of the barrel. It's a nationwide school of some sort so I assume many of you have probably seen them too. They have several versions, but one that takes the cake for me shows an attractive black guy ranting and raving like someone who forgot his lithium. "Don't call because of me! Do it for yourself" and "Stop procrastinating!". His cap is crooked and he looks rather like a street thug, so I wonder why anyone would take his advice seriously to start with-lol.

Another version shows a thin young black man sitting on a sofa describing how "money isn't tight, but it could be better" and encouraging people to call Everest.

This is pure malarkey folks........If Everest can't even produce a respectable TV commercial, how do we suppose they would be able to educate anyone? hhheee

^ I've seen the first one you described. I can't imagine what kind of people actually picked up the phone after seeing that ad.

I understand from a reliable source that Everest College is the kind of school that essentially graduates anyone who enrolls, irregardless of their achievements or failures.

Instead of pouring mass amounts of money into TV advertising, perhaps they should invest in their curriculum and become a legitimate school-lol

• 1 month later...

With the advancement of television and now digital video recording, advertisers are coming up with new ideas to get their message across. Tell me if you've ever done this. You fast forward through the commercials and as they go through you say "Car, shampoo, restaurant, car, car, insurance, news, AH stop! We missed it." If anything the advertisers want us as consumers to at least recognize that their products exist. Then we think to ourselves, "Hey, I might need that" and remember what you saw. In many cases of commercials now, still images are a very effective way to market a product. For example, a car company will focus on a car the entire segment so you know what company and make it is. They're getting smart people, look out.

I'm starting to become more and more convinced that in the long term, the only way advertisers are going to survive on TV is by showing commercials featuring plenty of nudity. After all, with the latent purient interests of so many Americans, think of all the people who would stop zapping through commercials! lol

I must admit, a little nudity here and there might even tweak my interest-hehhee. But no matter if they feature full nudal frontity, those dang trade schools will never get me to watch their sorry commercials.:)

Like many others in this thread, my wife and I are very spoiled by our DVR. We hate watching TV at a friend's house if that friend can't fast-forward. All our favorite shows get recorded and we just fast-forward through the commercials. I only watch commercials that might catch my interest as I'm zipping through them, like commercials for Steve Carrell movies. I totally love that guy, he's awesome.

• 3 years later...

Archived