SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Oh, the NW corner is the Southline project that everyone is discussing will prevent the Iverson-Dunavant connection.

It was originally supposed to be massed like this: http://www.cherokeefund.com/trans/Southline.pdf but now will be suburban-type apartments with street layout as shown on this site: http://vc.charmeck.org/ (no direct link possible)

The original Southline was on both sides of the Lynx in this area. All the land between Dunavant and South straddling the Lynx. The land you're talking about is all still owned by Cherokee Southline LLC, the place you have marked on your dev map as Southline is the site that JBL bought from Cherokee.

There is work being done to the top of the Strawn housing tower on South this morning. Did the plans for that block include simply renovating that tower or was it to be demoed? I guess I'm not sure if this is evidence of the Strawn project being closer or farther from moving forward.

The retail space in the Circle building across from Einsteins has 'coming soon' signs up for Crispy Crepe. Good to see that's still happening.

The black building across Tryon from Niche (now Blush), and across Summit from Boulevard/Dharma/etc is apparently now the new location for Elder Gallery, which I think was formerly in that small strip on South across from Circle.

I believe the tower was always intended to be renovated, not unlike Charlottetown Terrace. It's just a guess, but I would think that they want to finish the tower renovation before demoing the bungalows so they don't loose too much CHA housing stock at one time.

I am glad that the old Gaines-Brown design building turned into something other than just an office. Anything to add to the artsy vibe and help with the gallery crawls on first Friday is a good thing. I think the upfit looks nice from the outside looking in, and definitely like the new signage.

The original Southline was on both sides of the Lynx in this area. All the land between Dunavant and South straddling the Lynx. The land you're talking about is all still owned by Cherokee Southline LLC, the place you have marked on your dev map as Southline is the site that JBL bought from Cherokee.

I believe the remaining Cherokee site at the NW corner of Remount and South Blvd is going to be apartments, believe it or not. Fortunately not garden-style apartments, but urban wrap apartments.

• 1 month later...

Fountains at New Bern is making good progress -- concreet pillars / foundation work is dramatic.

Site work appears to be complete at the Colonial site. There appeared to be no progress at the Silos site.

Tripple C brewing does not appear to be progressing (at least from the exterior).

• 2 weeks later...

There is a rendering of Woodfield Silos on Housing Studio's website. Also, there is a pic of Proffitt Dixon's planned Fountains development in Uptown and Stonewall and McDowell.

http://www.housingst...d8-e0712096673b

Wow, they don't like street-frontage do they? It took some EFFORT to minimize it in the Fountains case, especially for uptown! Sigh.

I see what they're doing, trying to maximize the number of units with an uptown view, but it seems like the least urban solution they could come up with for that site. I was hoping for something that would activate the walk to Metropolitan or under the bridge to Dilworth more.

Edited by nonillogical

Woodfield's website has a page for this project that shows a site-plan. The Silo's is more urban than this rendering suggests, but still no decked parking.

That is also going to be the case with JLB's project up on Dunavant. The developers bought the land so cheap, there was no need to do a parking deck.

To spin this in a more positive light, it allows them to rent the units for a lower amount because their costs are lower. Rents should/could be lower than the existing South End projects.

While I was let down by the Fountains Uptown project, it was always going to be a really really tough parcel to develop. I'm sure them buying to really cheap from the city helped accelerate its viability, but I alway thought it would be the very last parcel to be developed in Uptown.

(I pulled the 2nd Ward topic back from pergatory, so we can discuss the Fountains at Stonewall here ) .

I biked down toward the Silos last week and was reminded just how large the land parcel is there. That rendering is somewhat generic outside the really great fact that those silos are remaining as a quirky icon. I can still remember the asphalt (concrete?) plant there on the site a while back as well as the Bonded Transportation trucking site across the tracks from when I moved to Charlotte 13y ago and moved to Sedgefield. It is a really positive thing for the city to be getting so many semi-dense apartments around the rail station. Also, I notice with the light industrial buildings south of the Silos site getting retail, it could really grow organically as it's own neighborhood destination in the next 5y.

framing is well underway at the Southline / JBL site. Site work is progressing at Colonial and the Silos site.

A Survey crew was marking boundaries on the (Cherokee-owned) parcel across South blvd from the Lowes / Iverson Way T intersection today.

Edited by kermit

Centro Studio at South End (West and Camden) has had it's Camden frontage improved greatly.

Old:

http://axiomarchitecture.com/wp-content/uploads/greekaerial1.jpg

New:

http://axiomarchitecture.com/wp-content/uploads/Centro-southend-hero2.png

This version is what David Furman showed in the South End planning workshop in April (meeting was for general neighborhood planning, not specific to this project).

• Like 1

Centro Studio at South End (West and Camden) has had it's Camden frontage improved greatly.

Old:

http://axiomarchitec...reekaerial1.jpg

New:

http://axiomarchitec...thend-hero2.png

This version is what David Furman showed in the South End planning workshop in April (meeting was for general neighborhood planning, not specific to this project).

WOWWWWWWW!!! With Retail!!!! Thank god he improved upon it!

That is a dramatic improvement. No surprise he labeled the rendering "hero" haha.

I find it more interesting stylistically, too. And planting strip is replaced by a wide urban sidewalk with retail and al fresco dining. Finally something fitting with the goals of these neighborhood centers!

I hearby declare that the Griffith st / New Bern area will be the next hip neighborhood in Charlotte. The combination of the three apartment complexes and one (existing) condo complex along with the old industrial space that is already being repurposed to retail and entertainment could really combine magically over the next couple years. Based on the activity that Old Mecklenburg brewery generates in their beer 'garden' [parking lot] Tripple C brewing (right in the middle of this hood) could really be the cataylst.

The lack of parking in the area might even be beneficial given the proximity to New Bern station.

Edited by kermit