Major League Baseball In Providence

09/21/38

Another note, size plays a huge factor, people complain about fenway holding the 38,000+ but that is good for baseball. You want sold out stadiums not empty ones. The ones in the mid-high 40,000's don't sell out every game, the tickets are cheaper for hte fans, but the excitement isn't there. The largest park next year will be dodger stadium and that will be at 56,000 a much bigger than the other parks. I think the 35-44,000 range is the best size for baseball because the support is there but not to go out and see every game. Its much easier to see 1 game a week on sundays than 82 throughout most of the year.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another note, size plays a huge factor, people complain about fenway holding the 38,000+ but that is good for baseball. You want sold out stadiums not empty ones. The ones in the mid-high 40,000's don't sell out every game, the tickets are cheaper for hte fans, but the excitement isn't there. The largest park next year will be dodger stadium and that will be at 56,000 a much bigger than the other parks. I think the 35-44,000 range is the best size for baseball because the support is there but not to go out and see every game. Its much easier to see 1 game a week on sundays than 82 throughout most of the year.

with the prices for red sox tickets and as good as they've been recently, you don't think they'll sell out a 45-50k stadium for the majority of their games?

the only reason a sold out stadium is good for baseball is because they can get away with charging ridiculous prices.

I think it would for a period, but not every night. To get 50,000 people every night for 2 years would be impossible. Thats why Cleveland had such an amazing streak for having 455 straight sellouts.

In the Red Sox opened a new stadium that was fan friendly like SF's park, or Baltimore's then I can see 2 or 3 years, but after that it will be like Yankee Stadium hardly ever sold out, and if Ticket sales do get close to sellout the fans do not always show up.

all MLB cares about is ticket sales. if teh park is not 100% full, they don't care because they still got their ticket money. i don't see what the big deal is if it's not always 100% sold out. it makes it more lively, but yankee stadium is still pretty damn lively. what it would do is allow people who can't afford games to go.

Well I think there are two aspects if the tickets sell to businesses, people etc... and they never show eventually the people will not want ot go that bad. The appeal now is the lottery for the tickets the day they are on sale. Thats why fields like Progressive Field now never sells out because people just show up the day of. I agree they care about ticket sales, not attendance and fans should have the chance like in Baltimore for the 8 dollar ticket.

I think most fans would rather see Fenway the way it is then have it be like camden yards, or dolphin stadium or any other place that can't get fans. I mean the PawSox get more fans than the Orioles. Opening day the O's had 10,505 for fans and then last friday when I went the Baltimore Sun reported they had just over 7,800 that is horrible for a big league team and its opening series. The team even started off good at 4-1, but it brings no interest because no one ever goes.

• 4 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see if the rising gas prices have an effect on attendance at sporting events this summer. Especially those venues where public transportation is not available or not close by.

Examples are Kansas City and Arlington which sit by themselves apart from a downtown area. Any stadium that only affords automobile access will be at risk for lower attendance figures.

It will be interesting to see if the rising gas prices have an effect on attendance at sporting events this summer. Especially those venues where public transportation is not available or not close by.

Examples are Kansas City and Arlington which sit by themselves apart from a downtown area. Any stadium that only affords automobile access will be at risk for lower attendance figures.

Eh, I rented a car for Friday to go to the Cape because the bus was going to be $110 round trip for two. Really I'm one of the biggest boosters of public transit, I don't own a car, but when it costs me less to rent a car and pay gas, what should I do?

I drove to Fenway on Sunday and I got off the exit and tried to take the MBTA train from RT 128 mainly to avoid the parking rate of $25 but my wife said it was a dumb idea because we didn't know the schedule so I turned around and drove the rest of way.

The problem with the commuter trains is once one comes through there may not be another for an hour.

I don't see people renting cars to attend baseball games. Maybe taking a taxi to a game that didn't have a mass transit option might work. But that adds up pretty fast also.

We are fortunate that we have alternative forms of transportation in this area. But there could always be more.

commuter trains aren't meant to be an "always available" service like the subway or buses (except buses in providence). they have a schedule and generally only have 1 train every hour. metro-north for NYC is the same way. they will have trains more often during rush hour because of the number of people using it, but outside of rush hour, it's generally every hour.

Eh, I rented a car for Friday to go to the Cape because the bus was going to be $110 round trip for two. Really I'm one of the biggest boosters of public transit, I don't own a car, but when it costs me less to rent a car and pay gas, what should I do?

I drove to Fenway on Sunday and I got off the exit and tried to take the MBTA train from RT 128 mainly to avoid the parking rate of $25 but my wife said it was a dumb idea because we didn't know the schedule so I turned around and drove the rest of way.

The problem with the commuter trains is once one comes through there may not be another for an hour.

I don't see people renting cars to attend baseball games. Maybe taking a taxi to a game that didn't have a mass transit option might work. But that adds up pretty fast also.

We are fortunate that we have alternative forms of transportation in this area. But there could always be more.

I've made countless trips to Fenway, and I almost always rely on the same transportation method: drive to Quincy Adams, park for $5, take the Red line to Park, transfer to the Green. It's cheap, I don't have to worry about traffic and parking, and I have time to sober up before driving out of the T parking garage.

Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics, business or leisure. I always take the train from Providence ($8.00 garage parking at the station and 15 weekday/7-9 weekend trains to plan my schedule). I go out of my way to use the Providence station as a sign of support for rail service to RI (not S. Attleboro). I will do the same from Warwick when thats built...

People I know take the greenline from Riverside. Sure the greenline is sardine packed, but its a more direct route from Providence, no red/green transfer. And the redline from Quincy Adams to Park is about 45 minutes isn't it?

Coming in from the west, I always use Riverside. It's about 20-25 minutes from there to Kenmore or Fenway stations. They have extra trains waiting after ball games get out.

I would assume even with the longer drive from RI, it would be faster than going up Red Line then having to transfer at Park and sit through Green Line madness. The problem is... Riverside doesn't have as much parking as other commuter stations (Alewife IIRC has over double the spaces than Riverside, and even that filled the day of the Sox victory parade.)

Archived