Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

People will call it what they want. The Charlotte Coliseum was just 'the coliseum.' Cricket Arena has always been 'the old coliseum.' And I'm sure the Time Warner Cable Arena will continue to be called 'the arena.'

Maybe we can call it "The Tee" or "The TA"...

Has anyone else had trouble seeing the Bobcats game on FSN South or SportSouth? Whenever a game is listed on their site, the game hasn't been on my cable system on either channel. I emailed Fox Sports and the Bobcats, but neither responded.

Edited by rooster8

Has anyone else had trouble seeing the Bobcats game on FSN South or SportSouth? Whenever a game is listed on their site, the game hasn't been on my cable system on either channel. I emailed Fox Sports and the Bobcats, but neither responded.

I think it's actually a Time Warner problem (surprise surprise). I've noticed that with several channels like VH1, ESPN, Discovery, Fox Sportsnet, etc... I'll set my DVR to record a program as appears on the menu, and I turn it on it's something completely different.

This may have been mentioned already, but Time Warner Cable Pavilion at Walnut Creek is the new name of the former Alltel Pavilion at Walnut Creek in Raleigh.

http://www.livenation.com/venue/getVenue/venueId/502

Also a quick search of wikipedia revealed that there is a

Time-Warner Cable Amphitheater ... at Tower City in downtown Cleveland, Ohio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable_Amphitheater

Edited by Mid South NC

This may have been mentioned already, but Time Warner Cable Pavilion at Walnut Creek is the new name of the former Alltel Pavilion at Walnut Creek in Raleigh.

http://www.livenation.com/venue/getVenue/venueId/502

Also a quick search of wikipedia revealed that there is a

Time-Warner Cable Amphitheater ... at Tower City in downtown Cleveland, Ohio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable_Amphitheater

Hence my statements earlier that Time Warner Cable Arena isn't as bad as of these other venue names... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm pretty suprised nobody posted this yet, but Sam Vincent was just fired as head coach of the Bobcats and speculation is that Larry Brown is next in line to take the job. I personally think having a big name coach for the team, as Brown, will have nearly as much of an effect as a superstar player. Despite Brown's transient style, I do believe this will place a more recognizable face to the team and cause more interest. That is if he accepts, which he has briefly alluded to.

As I type this from the Kansas City International Airport, I was not all that surprised Sam Vincent got the ax. You can blame Airball Jordan for hiring his buddy of one year assistant coaching experience. The question now is "Will the Bobcats pony up some money to bring in an experienced coach." We're not sure what is tinkering in Jordan's mind, but for the sake of the franchise, the next coach better be a homerun. I posted on another thread about Larry Brown and the possible reasons he wasn't hired last year. Jordan is having to second guess himself. Yes, Brown is available but it will cost the cats big. Heck, even Paul Silas would be a nice pick since he lives here.

we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

Edited by dxartist

I'm not overly suprised that Vincent was canned either. People close to Brown seem to think he'll be the Bobcats coach. As southernyank said, this would the equivalent of signing a star player. This is just the kind of jumpstart the franchise needs. Let's hope BJ opens his wallet and the signs the guy. Though Larry can be quite unpredictable at times, the one thing he can do is coach. That's what this young team needs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like Time Warner Cable Arena is set for some new outdoor signage. Not sure if this is anything new and exciting or if it is just replacement signage that indicates the new name of the arena but here is the rezoning application with the locations of the new signs...

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2...site%20plan.pdf

Looks like Time Warner Cable Arena is set for some new outdoor signage. Not sure if this is anything new and exciting or if it is just replacement signage that indicates the new name of the arena but here is the rezoning application with the locations of the new signs...

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2...site%20plan.pdf

Given the placement of the signage and color schemes indicated in the specs, I'd definitely say those are "Time Warner Cable Arena". I do like how there will be an "aerial" sign on top of the arena roof. I have to admit that I'm a little less bothered by the name now since TWC is spinning off as a seperate entity.

Edited by dbull75

This is an odd, kinda related piece of news. Apparently the house that was formerly owned by Hornets owner George Shinn (the house on Lake Wylie, not the one on Park Rd.) burned to the ground this weekend. The fire was possibly caused by a lightning strike. Shinn no longer owns the house.

This is an odd, kinda related piece of news. Apparently the house that was formerly owned by Hornets owner George Shinn (the house on Lake Wylie, not the one on Park Rd.) burned to the ground this weekend. The fire was possibly caused by a lightning strike. Shinn no longer owns the house.

too bad for the current owner. this city can never completely wash its hands of this guy

In what seems like record time, the Bobcats have signed both of their 1st round draft picks to 2-year contracts. D.J. Augustin was the 9th overall pick and Alexis Ajinca was the 20th pick in the first round.

Good news. I also saw that Larry Brown's brother will be joining his staff.

• 1 month later...

There was an article in the Charlotte Biz Journal the other day about the new concert booking firm AEG and it's lack of bookings going into the fall when it doesn't have to compete with Verizon Wireless ampitheater. I have to say I had high hopes with them given the fact they were well renowned. But something about only booking shows such as New Kids on the Block and So Think You Can Dance aren't exactly exciting to me. There are bands such as Coldplay that are adding dates to other cities and I can only hope that AEG will start adding these types of high profile shows.

Edited by dbull75

• 1 month later...

Charlotte went and got Conservative again. City Council is making a grand ole stink outta the signage that andy posted a pdf about on here a couple months ago. City Council is worried about the tackiness of the 36k sq ft sign on top of the Arena, sayin

Also Out: flashing lights across the top of the building because of concerns over disturbing the growing number of uptown condo dwellers.
Is there a single condo building that looks over the arena other than courtside?

Here is another quote

Dubbed as "tacky" by Councilman Andy Dulin was a 36,250-square-foot sign across the top of the arena's roof with the words "TIME WARNER CABLE ARENA and "CHARLOTTE" in giant, reflective paint.

"I think it has been undersigned before. The signage needs to go up

Edited by Guest

Charlotte went and got Conservative again. City Council is making a grand ole stink outta the signage that andy posted a pdf about on here a couple months ago. City Council is worried about the tackiness of the 36k sq ft sign on top of the Arena, sayin Is there a single condo building that looks over the arena other than courtside?

Here is another quote

Bah- that bothers me. Isn't one of the features, experiences, and do I dare say this but "more costly" views of having all of the lights, color, etc. of uptown to look at/be in/experience?! Having bright lights on top, which would mainly be for the games and large events that receive television coverage (to highlight the arena on tv) would be minimal, and lights shut off typically at midnight anyhow when most sleep. It's going to be right next to the lights and neon of EpiCentre anyway. C'mon, if they're gonna come up with excuses, then they're going to have to do better than that. Seems rediculous to me.