Charlotte Hornets and the Arena

Raintree21

I find it ironic and humorous that the potential condo owners that would be complaining by lights coming from an NBA arena once in a while would be the same condo owners that would not be concerned with events such as the Offspring concert next to Dixies Tavern on Sat night... which I will say was bright with more lights, more effects, and a lot more noise than that would be taking place at the arena. Somehow I think that we are hearing excuses...

n591112931_1446434_8873.jpg

Edited by Andyc545

I find it ironic and humorous that the potential condo owners that would be complaining by lights coming from an NBA arena once in a while would be the same condo owners that would not be concerned with events such as the Offspring concert next to Dixies Tavern on Sat night... which I will say was bright with more lights, more effects, and a lot more noise than that would be taking place at the arena. Somehow I think that we are hearing excuses...

man hearing them play really took me back. what an awesome night :D

yep it seems like an awful lot of people want to move uptown but are still clutching suburban ideals of living. i've come to like the noise (and my place is a hell of a lot noisier than any of these new condo towers, especially if you're a ways up them!)

Edited by nonillogical

man hearing them play really took me back. what an awesome night :D

yep it seems like an awful lot of people want to move uptown but are still clutching suburban ideals of living. i've come to like the noise (and my place is a hell of a lot noisier than any of these new condo towers, especially if you're a ways up them!)

We actually don't know if any condo owners complained at all. Most of us here seem to think some city counsil members are using the condo owners as a way to discourage lighting. I have yet to see or hear any quoted complaints from condo owners in Uptown concerning too much light. I think bright lights are a vital part of the urban experience. :thumbsup:

Edited by abttown

abtown- I think most of us feel that way, which coincides with the city council coming up with excuses. I thought that decisions were suppose to be made in the public's interest and not individuals on the panel. It's unfortunate that the city would dismiss a lighting scheme that could really be a fun experience of being in the city and watching it on the TV, but then accepting and allowing crap developments to occur that don't follow certain guidelines in urban neighborhoods.

nonilogic- indeed. That was one of the best concerts I've seen in a while. It turned out to be quite a fun filled night. I still find it hard to believe that the concert was free. Thanks T-Mobile.

They're released the TV coverage for this seasons Bobcats. FSN South carries the games now as does Sports South, but they still don't carry EVERY game. In fact there are whole huge gaps in the coverage.

I don't understand how we can hope to build a fan base and support if we don't have EVERY game covered. Is this normal in other markets?

They're released the TV coverage for this seasons Bobcats. FSN South carries the games now as does Sports South, but they still don't carry EVERY game. In fact there are whole huge gaps in the coverage.

I don't understand how we can hope to build a fan base and support if we don't have EVERY game covered. Is this normal in other markets?

Its pretty normal, it was even like that most the time the hornets were here. Most of the time only their away games were on TV. I'm just disappointed to once again not have 1 single nationally televised game to watch. I guess I'll have to watch them play the nets and the knicks this year only.

Edited by Guest

I wonder if any games will be brought in HD or at least use decent cameras and broadcasting so the games don't look like they were shot in 1985. I said this last year, but while flicking between two NBA games last year, I chose an irrelevant game that I had no interest in just because the picture was pleasant and the Bobcats game brought me back to visuals that appear from an antenna TV on my brand new HDTV.

Its pretty normal, it was even like that most the time the hornets were here. Most of the time only their away games were on TV. I'm just disappointed to once again not have 1 single nationally televised game to watch. I guess I'll have to watch them play the nets and the knicks this year only.

TV schedules are always subject to change. If Larry Brown can do something with this team, you can bet TNT and/or ESPN will pick up some games.

• 3 weeks later...

The city votes next Monday I believe on what it will allow....hopefully the huge signage and the RoadRunner banners can stay part of the plans.

Good to hear about the vote. Is the lighting still on vote or was that already voted down with the whole "too disrupting for condo owners" deal a few weeks ago? I really hope that is brought up again.

Good to hear about the vote. Is the lighting still on vote or was that already voted down with the whole "too disrupting for condo owners" deal a few weeks ago? I really hope that is brought up again.

The City Planning Staff has agreed to allow them to paint the logo on the roof and use some sort of "Downlighting" for nighttime use.

The City Planning Staff has agreed to allow them to paint the logo on the roof and use some sort of "Downlighting" for nighttime use.

Did anybody see the segment on CNBC that featured Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavericks) and our very own Bob Johnson? The discussion was on the economic downturn and the fortunes of sports franchises.

At one point, BJ made fun of the teams record and incorrectly referred our oft-injured former Heel as Scott May. He also said something to the effect of a sports franchise is a great investment akin to beach front property.

When asked about ticket prices being too high for the average fan in this economic climate, Cuban said he would never want to hear a fan say that, and therefore created a small section of $2 seats. BJ sidestepped the question and said he could see Russia from his house. (j/k on that one)

Folks, we got ourselves a winner :rolleyes:

Really interest criticism of Bob Johnson, Michael Jordan and Larry Brown, and how they each seem to have their own agenda not in sink with making the current team a serious competitor.

Article

I can only imagine how things would have been different if Larry Bird had bought the team instead of Bob Johnson. We got a bum deal for politics sake.

I hope Johnson sells and someone like Jerry Richardson buys. The Bobcats are like a fashion accessory that is going out of style for a lot of the big name investors, many of who have no connection to Charlotte.

This article made a great point with this line.

The way Johnson has run the Bobcats, there

This franchise has been a disaster from the beginning. We've had the whole C-SET mess, the high school graduation fiasco, and oh yeah, bad teams. I've tried really hard to be supportive of this team, but they don't give many reasons why I should.

Say what you will about George Shinn, but at least he put people with some sense in charge of the basketball program.

Edited by rooster8

This franchise has been a disaster from the beginning. We've had the whole C-SET mess, the high school graduation fiasco, and oh yeah, bad teams. I've tried really hard to be supportive of this team, but they don't give many reasons why I should.

Say what you will about George Shinn, but at least he put people with some sense in charge of the basketball program.

At least the Charlotte Checkers are uptown now. I wonder who is going to win the attendance battle this year; the Bobcats or the Checkers?