Northlake Mall

Looks like they wasted there time and money on this location only for 3 months.....yay more room for something more interesting! Goodbye Casual Corner/Petite Sophisticate! Join Service Merchandise and Montgomery Ward in hell! :lol:http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/r...htm?POE=MONISVA

Edited by Temeteron

I don't think shoplifting is considered enough of a crime at Eastland for it to get a mention on the news.

True. If this crime hadn't resulted in a death, it would probably would have been buried as well.

But I'm telling ya metro, if Eastland falls, all those kids are headed to Northlake and SouthPark, and there will be two loitering and violence problems instead of one. It happend in Greensboro. When all the kids couldn't hang out at Carolina Circle any more, they went to Four Seasons and brought their fights with them.

Edited by StevenRocks

When all the kids couldn't hang out at Carolina Circle any more, they went to Four Seasons and brought their fights with them.

I saw a fight at Four Seasons once. Nothing too viscious, just a couple of girls screaming profanity and scratching at each other with their Lee press-ons.

True. If this crime hadn't resulted in a death, it would probably would have been buried as well.

But I'm telling ya metro, if Eastland falls, all those kids are headed to Northlake and SouthPark, and there will be two loitering and violence problems instead of one. It happend in Greensboro. When all the kids couldn't hang out at Carolina Circle any more, they went to Four Seasons and brought their fights with them.

Exactly, same thing happened with Freedom Mall --> Eastland Mall.

I see this will probably be the case with Northlake and Bridges, not so sure about SouthPark though

Edited by cantnot

I see this will probably be the case with Northlake and Bridges, not so sure about SouthPark though

SouthPark's main asset againt throngs of young, poor people hanging out is the tenant mix. There's not a lot that a teenager can get into out there, especially if he or she isn't pretty well off.

Freedom Mall was never in the same league as anything like Eastland or Southpark. It's peers were the NorthPark mall, and the now defunct Westpark Mall. NorthPark like Freedom like Eastland all declined because the demographics around the mall got really bad. In comparison WestPark never suffered this misfortune, but it was destroyed due to competitive issues. Cotswald is a similar mall that continues to get better. This is because a very desirable demograhic lives around that mall.

NorthPark will survive depending upon what happens to the area around it that supports it. I would say its chances are pretty good as it is near the fairly affluent Lake area whose residents, like those around Southpark or Carolina Mall, will not stand for throngs of unruly, useless, gun carrying teenagers infesting it. They will be run off as they were from downtown when they became a nuscence there.

I know they were never in the same category.. i'm just saying that the loiterers who hung out at Freedom Mall now ride the bus to Eastland

I would argue they live in East Charlotte now. Freedom Mall has been dead for a very long time. It really wasn't in that good of shape when I first walked in there in 1978. Long before the current thugs at Eastland were even born.

Edited by metro.m

It's like I'm saying: crime happens at evry mall, and if you close down a particular mall because of crime instead of trying to get to the root of the crime and fixing it, every time you build a mall, it's only a busful of hooligans from failure.

Again this is typical really bad reporting from WCNC. They make no attempt to separate out the violent crime figures from that of shoplifting. At least from what you can make out of these figures, shoplifting is the primary reason that police are called at SP and CP and that could be because they have more invested in fighting it.

Eastland's primary problem seems to be violent crime. But from this badly written report (I saw it broadcast) no one really knows what the situation is. They come on TV and tease everyone in saying the Police are called more to SP than anywhere else, then they don't follow up with any investagative reporting. The best they can do is stick a microphone in the face of a couple of clueless people in the parking lot. "Oh, well that's not good"

The primary focus of this news cast was the Road trip where their anchors go act like idiots for 2 hours in the evening. Any real news reported is just an accident.

Edited by metro.m

• 2 weeks later...

^Let's hope it doesn't turn into teen/thug central like the AMC in Pineville did. It's the nicest theatre in town, but I don't go there anymore after all the negative experiences.

Yeah I agree with you. We went there once on a Saturday night and decided we would never do that again.