Hilton Norfolk at The Main

vdogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for this to get underway. Outside of LRT, this is probably my most anticipated project in DT. St.Pauls was it, but that's dead IMO, so this project is all my hope in one. Would love to see this project up and completed before I leave the area.

Can't wait for this to get underway. Outside of LRT, this is probably my most anticipated project in DT. St.Pauls was it, but that's dead IMO, so this project is all my hope in one. Would love to see this project up and completed before I leave the area.

Are you referring to the St Paul Quadrant? because if you are, that isnt dead, that is just a massive project that is going to take decades to complete.

Are you referring to the St Paul Quadrant? because if you are, that isnt dead, that is just a massive project that is going to take decades to complete.

I think he just means he's not happy with the overall SPQ project and thus is not anticipating it anymore (I agree to a certain extent). It most certainly is not dead, and is probably one of the most sure thing projects in Norfolk.

I think he just means he's not happy with the overall SPQ project and thus is not anticipating it anymore (I agree to a certain extent). It most certainly is not dead, and is probably one of the most sure thing projects in Norfolk.

That is exactly what I meant.

I don't see how you guys are already giving up on SPQ..

Do you guys really think the Westin will start construction by the end of the year?? Construction is supposed to take two years & our last reference stated construction would start in the fall..

I sure hope so, I liked that structure right (on the right side, believe it was an historic structure) beside it before they tore it down. I would be happy to just see them get started on the ground work if anything. Hopefully it starts early fall and not late/early winter.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen the emporis page on this building? In the report it says the building was origionally announced as 23 storeys but was upgraded to 25 in september making 26 with a mechanical floor.

Technical Data

Height (estimated)*Height (architectural)96.01 mHeight (roof)*Floors (above ground)26Construction end*Units*

Structure in General

Construction typehigh-rise buildingStructural material*Architectural stylepostmodernCurrent statusplanned [approved]

Usages

Main usages*

Features and Amenities

Facts

Features a conference center on floors 3 to 6, a pool and workout facility on the seventh floor, guest rooms on floors 8 to 19 and 12 condominium units on floors 20 to 25.

Originally announced at 23 stories, three additional floors were added in September 2008.

News

Involved Companies

Companies involved in this building

* Jonathan Nehmer + Associates, Inc.

* LTD Management Company

* The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company

ahh I thought there was some new news.. every time someone replies to this thread I'm hoping it's gonna say construction has begun.. the 3 story increase has been known for some time.. I don't see why they don't add a few condo floors if every one has been sold?

ahh I thought there was some new news.. every time someone replies to this thread I'm hoping it's gonna say construction has begun.. the 3 story increase has been known for some time.. I don't see why they don't add a few condo floors if every one has been sold?

Because the condos were all purchased by the family of the developers.

In terms of cost, P.E. is probably the best to ask if its feasible in hopes that someone would pay for them in the future. Im' with you, if they sold ALL of them, why not if the numbers could work and just give the people who paid up front the upper level condo floors at the same price.

• 3 weeks later...

In terms of cost, P.E. is probably the best to ask if its feasible in hopes that someone would pay for them in the future. Im' with you, if they sold ALL of them, why not if the numbers could work and just give the people who paid up front the upper level condo floors at the same price.

Yeah P.E. whadd'ya say? I guess I need to stop worrying about height & just be happy with the 300+ feet! I just don't see why they wouldn't add at least 6 more condos. I'm sure they'd eventually sell. This building is gonna be amazing regardless. I just would like it to hurry up. If they've got financing, I don't see why they don't start while the weather's warm

Yeah P.E. whadd'ya say? I guess I need to stop worrying about height & just be happy with the 300+ feet! I just don't see why they wouldn't add at least 6 more condos. I'm sure they'd eventually sell. This building is gonna be amazing regardless. I just would like it to hurry up. If they've got financing, I don't see why they don't start while the weather's warm
Not that this has anything to do with the building starting, but...you gotta understand, warm weather...is the worst thing possible for construction...think about the workers...you think they want to work in 90 deg. weather? If it was up to them they'd only work in winter! I highly doubt developers even consider this aspect when drawing up their schedules...they figure, we want this thing built, along the current schedule, we'll find people willing to deal with it.

Good point. I was thinking about which one I would prefer, and I'd def. rather work in the warm rather than through the cold, rainy winters we have around here. But I'm sure construction workers are use to all sorta conditions. I still want this thing to start already :excl:

It is possible to add floors to the building, but it is expensive at this stage. It is not too difficult to accommodate the additional weight. Adding five stories to a 26 story building is about a 20% increase in weight. Accommodating that additional weight is not too painful - drive some more piles and increase the size of the columns.

Wind forces are a bigger problem. To find the increase in wind forces at the lowest columns and the foundation, you have to take the square of the building height. The current height is 315 feet. 315 feet squared (315 x 315) is about 100,000. Adding five stories would increase it to about 375 feet. 375 squared is 140,000. So those five additional stories increased the wind loads on the foundation by about 40 percent. Adding this to the 20 percent increase in the weight and the increase in cost to add five stories starts to become substantial.

Whether or not that makes if "feasible", I do not know. The developer has to determine that, considering the increase in construction cost combined with financing, schedule, the market for the additional units, accommodating additional parking, etc.

Time is also a factor. Assuming the design of the project is complete and the project is headed for a Fall 2009 groundbreaking, I would estimate that the redesign for an additional five floor would delay the project at least six months, maybe more.

Structural Engineering 101 class is dismissed.

How possible is it that this project is experiencing "Granby Tower" issues?

I'd say it's unlikely. They aren't supposed to break ground until fall. Which is like 1-2 months away. Since this is going to be Norfolk's conference center and was sorta subsidized by the city, I think this is a strong development. But, you never know.

I will always be skeptical of projects for now on, especially when they are pushed back. After granby tower not being built, anything is possible and those suckers have piles in the ground.

There is a difference between a condo project where you have to get people to buy into it, and something that is sponsored by taxpayers where you just spend other people's money. Obviously the condo prices were wack, but hotels still have a chance. I mean, if you were a politician wouldn't you want to kick off building buildings so you had a monument to reflect on?

I was surprised GT ever went to pile driving. I figured it was in the bag once that started. At least it's not like the stuff in other cities where the project is halfway done, skeleton in the sky rotting.

There is a difference between a condo project where you have to get people to buy into it, and something that is sponsored by taxpayers where you just spend other people's money. Obviously the condo prices were wack, but hotels still have a chance. I mean, if you were a politician wouldn't you want to kick off building buildings so you had a monument to reflect on?

I was surprised GT ever went to pile driving. I figured it was in the bag once that started. At least it's not like the stuff in other cities where the project is halfway done, skeleton in the sky rotting.

Yeah, I understand, but I only reflected upon that because of the current state of the economy. You have people cutting back on things that are consider recession proof or not affected by the recession. That is part of the reason why the economy is in a rutt now, speculation. With that being said, its a possibly unless the money has been trasferred and people have been contracted. Right now, we have a plan that cost a couple 100 grand, a lot and enough dough to build a parking deck.

Archived