Michael Vick’s NFL career needs to be over....

michaelskis

It's threads like this that are so polarizing and divisive and that perpetuate the strained racial dynamic that occurs in this country. Michael Vick hasn't even been in front of a judge yet and already there are calls on this forum and in the mass media for him to be punished. Anywhere from being fired from his place of work to prison time have been suggested.

I can't help but wonder why in this case and in similar cases there is such a disdain for the very process that people claim make this country great. This famed legal process that supposedly makes us civilized and other cultures uncivilized. It's all a sham, of course. All BS. This is part of the reason black people and other people of color are unable and unwilling to cut whites an additional inch of slack in racial matters.

Whites consistently perpetrate double standards when it comes to black people and justice. I asked a white PETA protester yesterday, where are the white counterparts to the Mike Tysons, OJ Simpsons, Michael Jacksons, Barry Bonds and Michael Vicks of our society? In a country where African people comprise only 12% of the population the list should be long. But one can hardly come up with any names. And I don't wanna hear about people like Phil Specter or Robert Blake, both well beyond their prime. Where are the white counterparts who are current bigtime celebrities and athletes hounded by the legal system and sent to prison? Being that whites outnumber Africans in this county by about 6 to 1, there should be a comparable number.

But we all know the system is unjust. Certain people are investigated more. Some people are able to get criminality swept under the rug. Some people are not. This is the United States, a place that incarcerates Africans at a rate highly disproporationate to the rate at which whites are incarcerated for the same offenses. And for longer prison terms.

Who really thinks people of color are treated fairly in this system? Only the most racist and most obtuse believe this.

For an example of the way in which the white controlled media shape and mold public opinion, think here:

Remember when the Capitol Police Officer didn't recognize 7 term Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, leading to an incident in which he admits to grabbing her from behind and allegedly (he said/she said) she struck him in defense. There were no witnesses to her striking him.

Recently a white male Congressperson got into a shouting altercation with the Capitol police that ended up with the Congressman grabbing the Capitol police officer. You will never hear about this because the same media that quite literally crucified McKinney for her incident (from lying about what happened to referring to her as a 'ghetto peppermint') is not going to mention this incident. This isn't the Vick situation but it's an easy example of the overt bias of the media and criminal justice system (they aren't pressing charges against Congressman Chris Shays). Black people expect and understand the ramifications of this kind of treatment.

White people pretend it isn't happening.

So when I see Michael Vick, one of the most prominent African athletes in the country, being threatened with the ending of his career, I have to ask, would this happen to a white athlete? And not any white athlete. One in the prime of his career in one of the biggest moneymaking forms of entertainment in the country. Would it happen to a white male in that position?

To ask the question is to answer it.

So while I hate dogfighting and feel anyone guilty of dogfighting should pay the price, I know why a person of Michael Vick's stature and fame is in the news. And it's not because of dogfighting.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's threads like this that are so polarizing and divisive and that perpetuate the strained racial dynamic that occurs in this country. Michael Vick hasn't even been in front of a judge yet and already there are calls on this forum and in the mass media for him to be punished. Anywhere from being fired from his place of work to prison time have been suggested.

I can't help but wonder why in this case and in similar cases there is such a disdain for the very process that people claim make this country great. This famed legal process that supposedly makes us civilized and other cultures uncivilized. It's all a sham, of course. All BS. This is part of the reason black people and other people of color are unable and unwilling to cut whites an additional inch of slack in racial matters.

Whites consistently perpetrate double standards when it comes to black people and justice. I asked a white PETA protester yesterday, where are the white counterparts to the Mike Tysons, OJ Simpsons, Michael Jacksons, Barry Bonds and Michael Vicks of our society? In a country where African people comprise only 12% of the population the list should be long. But one can hardly come up with any names. And I don't wanna hear about people like Phil Specter or Robert Blake, both well beyond their prime. Where are the white counterparts who are current bigtime celebrities and athletes hounded by the legal system and sent to prison? Being that whites outnumber Africans in this county by about 6 to 1, there should be a comparable number.

But we all know the system is unjust. Certain people are investigated more. Some people are able to get criminality swept under the rug. Some people are not. This is the United States, a place that incarcerates Africans at a rate highly disproporationate to the rate at which whites are incarcerated for the same offenses. And for longer prison terms.

Who really thinks people of color are treated fairly in this system? Only the most racist and most obtuse believe this.

For an example of the way in which the white controlled media shape and mold public opinion, think here:

Remember when the Capitol Police Officer didn't recognize 7 term Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, leading to an incident in which he admits to grabbing her from behind and allegedly (he said/she said) she struck him in defense. There were no witnesses to her striking him.

Recently a white male Congressperson got into a shouting altercation with the Capitol police that ended up with the Congressman grabbing the Capitol police officer. You will never hear about this because the same media that quite literally crucified McKinney for her incident (from lying about what happened to referring to her as a 'ghetto peppermint') is not going to mention this incident. This isn't the Vick situation but it's an easy example of the overt bias of the media and criminal justice system (they aren't pressing charges against Congressman Chris Shays). Black people expect and understand the ramifications of this kind of treatment.

White people pretend it isn't happening.

So when I see Michael Vick, one of the most prominent African athletes in the country, being threatened with the ending of his career, I have to ask, would this happen to a white athlete? And not any white athlete. One in the prime of his career in one of the biggest moneymaking forms of entertainment in the country. Would it happen to a white male in that position?

To ask the question is to answer it.

So while I hate dogfighting and feel anyone guilty of dogfighting should pay the price, I know why a person of Michael Vick's stature and fame is in the news. And it's not because of dogfighting.

I get what Watch Out is saying about the current legal system, but It still doesn't take away the fact that this animal cruelty happened at Vicks home. White, black, yellow, or pink I would feel the same way because regardless of race animal cruelty is animal cruelty. I'm not going to defend Vick's actions because I can't see what will drive a person to do such a thing. If he is gulity, then he should be put behind bars and that's plain and simple!!

However, you don't hardly hear about him as much as Barry Bonds nationally.

On topic, I'm not cosigning on this b/c I think animal cruelty is the lowest of the low, and 1 of the main warning signs of a killer. However, until proven guilty, Michael Vick will be assumed innocent.

Maybe thats because Bonds hit 73 Home Runs in 2001 after never hitting more than 49 before. The race card is so played out... white McGwire is guilty too; he's the reason why Bonds got on the juice in the first place, jealousy. How does Maris record of 61 stand for so long; then all the sudden Bonds 73, McGwire 70, Sosa 66,etc break the record??

Oh my bad, this is Vick's topic.

My point is Barry Bonds is heavily vilified on a pop culture standpoint, meanwhile most people (aside from those deeply into baseball) are totally clueless about the vilification of Jason Giambi. This vilification of Barry Bonds' character began years before he became a threat to Hank Aaron's homerun record. The comparison of the vilification of the 2 are almost like comparing apples to oranges. To be honest, before today I knew nothing about what you said about Giambi, but I have heard folks talk about Bonds as early as 2003 baseball season.

Yeah you right, whether it's Paris Hilton, Brittny Spears, Lindsay Lohan or Anna Nicole Smith...it's all WAY over-hyped. Really who cares about all these people, but for some stinkin' reason Hollywood tries to rule and dictate thru the sorry media and paparazzi's. And some people get sick of hearing about all of it; but the media has nothing better to do than to throw it in everybody's face. It's gets old really quick!

Mike Vick is an "icon" in Atlanta and the NFL. He's as high-profile a player there is..so of course all eyes are on him. Athlete's like him(regardless of color) are under the microscope. How many times have I heard about Tom Brady getting such & such pregnant??? If Peyton Manning was accused of the same charges people would be disgusted with him to, believe that!

While Mike Vick is as exciting a player is; and the fastest QB in NFL history....but how many "passing" yards did he have?? Last season he only threw for over 200 yards twice! If he could not run, he'd probably be on the bench.

Nike announced today that it was suspending Vick's endorsement deal without pay and also stopping sales of Vick-related shoes and other products at its retail stores.

Reebok, the official uniform supplier of the NFL, said it would stop selling Vick's replica jersey at retail stores and through its Web site.

The only people who are going to support Vick through this situation are those who think this is all some story made up by the government to keep the black man down. There can't be that many people who believe into outrageous racism conspiracy theories.

Tony Taylor pleaded guilty to his role in a dogfighting conspiracy and says it was financed almost entirely by Michael Vick. He pleaded guilty to conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiring to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

The only people who are going to support Vick through this situation are those who think this is all some story made up by the government to keep the black man down. There can't be that many people who believe into outrageous racism conspiracy theories.

From CNN:

The president of the Atlanta chapter of the NAACP criticized the prosecution of Vick at a news conference Monday morning. Dr. R.L. White Jr. accused the government of "piling on."

"There's a penalty in football for piling on," White told reporters. "After a player has been tackled and somebody piles on, they're penalized for unnecessary roughness. Today, the NAACP blows the whistle and warns the powers that be that you are piling on."

The full video can be seen at: CNN NAACP Video about Vick

OK, so maybe I overestimated the severity of the crime. I guess it doesn't matter what anyone does as long as it's someone in the black community doing it.

I know the black community has done a lot to overcome racism and discrimination in this country. And now I think they've swung a little too far in the other direction ... or don't realize that not everything is still racist anymore.

Archived