Baton Rouge Entertainment Venues

drew6974

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that I think we overlooked was the new Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop. Both of those are considered super-regional attractions,especially the Cabela's. And anding both of them at the same time is no easy task especially for a city our size. Just think, when finished they will add two minimuseums,demonstrations/special events,tourists, and oodles of the all important shopping.! :D

Watching the Nascar race on TV today. Does anybody think a Nascar track would be a success around here? I remember hearing somewhere that there were more nascar fans per capita in Louisiana going to nascar races than any other state in the country. I realize that there are probably too many tracks and not enough races now but it sure would be nice to have a track somewhere between BR and New Orleans. Maybe Livingston, Tangipahoa, Ascension, St. John?

There has long been a rumor of a track being built in the Florida parishes somewhere. A few weeks ago a rumor was verified that a large professional sporting venue for a sport not currently represented in La. would be built in Tangipahoa but they denied that it was a Nascar track.

I have long been a racing fan and would love to have a track close by.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

A post-Katrina New Orleans transplant who has dabbled in movie production and concerts will try to revive the Broadmoor Theater as a dinner club/movie theater/concert hall.

I hope this venture succeeds and it helps spur more redevelopment in the area. The whole Florida Blvd. east of Airline corridor has been left out of most of the revitalization efforts such as that which is happening in mid city and even north BR with Howell place. The area is ripe for development considering that Florida Blvd. is one of only two main links between EBR and the fast growing Livingston parish. This could be a good first step.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/8503277.html

I can remember my first time in the Manship Theatre and saying to myself, "Wow, this is Baton Rouge"?!?! A fantastic venue for sure and cataylst for downtown's renaissance.

LSU could have built the Shaw Center for the Arts on/around campus, but chose downtown instead! I'm glad they did, great move for everybody involved!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I really hope this happens. This could be one of the biggest things to happen to the BR metro area yet. There's also the rumors of similar developments in West Baton Rouge around the proposed new billion dollar movie studio. Wow, just wow.

Livingston eyed for entertainment destinations

Livingston Parish officials say they continue to be approached by theme park companies and others who are interested in building a large family attraction off of Interstate 12. The parish has commissioned a feasibility study to look into the likelihood of building a 1,500-acre to 2,000-acre attraction, says Paco Swain, president of the Livingston Board of Realtors and a member of the parish's economic development council. The plan is to have the study completed by around the end of the year; at the same time the parish will approach several large landowners to gauge their interest in selling property for a theme park. "There's a tremendous void between Houston and Orlando for family entertainment," Swain says. "The timing is right for us to go after this." There have been rumors about world-renowned theme park and entertainment operators looking at Livingston for everything from a water park to a baseball complex. Recent published reports about the feasibility study led to Swain getting calls at his home on a Sunday from potential tenants, he says. Eric Edwards, the parish's director of tourism, says Livingston is poised for a big development because of available land and growth along the Interstate 10-Interstate 12 corridor. But parish leaders want to be cautious, Edwards says, because of the recent situation involving the Louisiana International Speedway in Tangipahoa Parish. That project was proudly announced by economic development officials, but fell apart after it was revealed the developer had a spotty background, including a fraud conviction.

Archived