Charlotte Residential Tower Rumors

appatone

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry A2....you're going to have to keep looking at your least favorite surface lots for a bit longer.

I got an update on the Spectrum apartment deal today, and Dubone wins the grand prize. It is in fact going to be located at the surface lot wrapping Presto Grill on W. Trade, so it would therefore front Trade, Graham, and 4th, with the Fed Courhouse also sharing the eastern half of the block.

It could also go condo, but Spectrum is definetly looking at apartments as the primary focus. I have nothing specific in terms of height, number of units, etc. yet.

Sorry A2....you're going to have to keep looking at your least favorite surface lots for a bit longer.

I got an update on the Spectrum apartment deal today, and Dubone wins the grand prize. It is in fact going to be located at the surface lot wrapping Presto Grill on W. Trade, so it would therefore front Trade, Graham, and 4th, with the Fed Courhouse also sharing the eastern half of the block.

It could also go condo, but Spectrum is definetly looking at apartments as the primary focus. I have nothing specific in terms of height, number of units, etc. yet.

:angry:

Thanks for the update (I guess :( ) I hate that lot. That really brings up the whole 3rd ward park idea being fronted by a surface parking lot. Yikes !!!

A2

Why the anger? This eliminates a surface parking lot that is adjacent to the park, while the site I previously anticipated is not.

While this is true, there is still a disconnect on South Tryon and Church. The thing that I do not want to see happen is a bunch of hop-scotching around lot to lot for developments. It could become like an Atlanta if we do not develop correctly. I want a VERY dense skyline with South Tryon finally complete as well as that "god awful" lot next to Agry Ale's developed. I am still happy we will get rid on one surface lot though. Heck I would have assumed that lot would have been last to be developed. But now the question is still, "Are we going to have a Great Park surrounded by parking lots???" If so, they should have really considered not building the park in the first place till the parcels were developed. It could still be years before we see development around the front of the park (the side opposite the RR tracks). These lots, I am sure will EVENTUALLY be developed, but in the meantime I am forced to reckon with the fact that the park will be surrounded by a moat of black tops for a considerable abount of time.

Sorry to be so brutal

A2

(ps I wanted the Knights stadium there FWIW. I know a lot of people might throw stones at me for saying that, but oh well I did. :blush: )

Trade and Tryon Streets are our main downtown addresses. They are the ones that we would expect to fill up first. Also, the vacant lots on those streets have the largest impact on people's perceptions of this city. Creating a seemless residential and insitutional corridor on from 77 to 277 is as important as completing the seemless office and institutional corridor on Tryon from 277 to 277.

The Gateway Station, the J&W projects, and the various residential projects will come close to filling up West Trade. With the Ritz, Epicentre, and the Arena, there will only be the Federal Courthouse site and the block east of the CTC that are vacant or mostly vacant.

Once those streets are full, then we can expect the areas in first, second and third wards to fill up.

Trade and Tryon Streets are our main downtown addresses. They are the ones that we would expect to fill up first. Also, the vacant lots on those streets have the largest impact on people's perceptions of this city. Creating a seemless residential and insitutional corridor on from 77 to 277 is as important as completing the seemless office and institutional corridor on Tryon from 277 to 277.

The Gateway Station, the J&W projects, and the various residential projects will come close to filling up West Trade. With the Ritz, Epicentre, and the Arena, there will only be the Federal Courthouse site and the block east of the CTC that are vacant or mostly vacant.

Once those streets are full, then we can expect the areas in first, second and third wards to fill up.

My only concern is that the county might be plopping down a vast area of open area that might not be surrounded on the perimiter. The whole idea of a park being a cataylst from economic development might not be overrated. I look at Marshall Park as a prime example. I am still optomistic about the prospects of future development, my only concern is how long is it going to take?

A2

The primary issue that most people miss with Marshall Park is that it is surrounded, just with bad uses. There is an office tower, courthouse that doesn't address the park, a CMS owned parking lot, and county owned parking lot for the acquatic center.....there has been no free land for developers to utilize....now that the county and CMS need money and are becoming more concious about their properties, the first development in 2nd Ward (barring a miracle at The Park), will occur adjacent to Marshall Park.

I believe we will see the parcel by Presto that I mentioned and along Graham after 3rd is closed develop first with 10-20 story buildings fairly soon.....the surface lots across Mint might have to wait until some other prime lots are developed.....namely the Cornerstone/Spectrum owned piece right at Tryon/3rd, the large church owned parcel on Trade between Poplar and Pine, the remaining TradeMark block, and possibly the site for the second tower connected to the Carillon midblock along Church.

After that, I believe the eastern side of 3rd Ward Park will begin to develop, and finally the last pad will be the one wrapped by the Duke Energy deck at 2nd and Graham.

While this is true, there is still a disconnect on South Tryon and Church. The thing that I do not want to see happen is a bunch of hop-scotching around lot to lot for developments. It could become like an Atlanta if we do not develop correctly. I want a VERY dense skyline with South Tryon finally complete as well as that "god awful" lot next to Agry Ale's developed. I am still happy we will get rid on one surface lot though. Heck I would have assumed that lot would have been last to be developed. But now the question is still, "Are we going to have a Great Park surrounded by parking lots???" If so, they should have really considered not building the park in the first place till the parcels were developed. It could still be years before we see development around the front of the park (the side opposite the RR tracks). These lots, I am sure will EVENTUALLY be developed, but in the meantime I am forced to reckon with the fact that the park will be surrounded by a moat of black tops for a considerable abount of time.

Sorry to be so brutal

A2

(ps I wanted the Knights stadium there FWIW. I know a lot of people might throw stones at me for saying that, but oh well I did. :blush: )

The park is what made these parcels attractive. This land would still be destined to be a parking lot without the promise of a great backyard park. Expect the park to spur development that would otherwise have stuck to Tryon or Church. My opinion, we want to avoid having one street be the only developed one - the skyline looks great from one angle and is hidden 90 degrees away.

West Trade Street has more development momentum than the area between the park and the wachovia campus.

The park seems to be generating development interest, but it is staying in the area closer to Gateway Village/J&W, the future Gateway Station, the neighborhood retail (HT, CVS, etc.), and the other residential towers in the area (Trademark, Vue, Cotton Mills, Cityview, etc). That makes sense to me.

I am really excited about the West Trade parcel WAY more than anything between 4th, 2nd, Mint and Church. Not only for contiguous Trade Street development, but also the fact that it is on a high elevation, and will continue the east-west skyline.

The park is what made these parcels attractive. This land would still be destined to be a parking lot without the promise of a great backyard park. Expect the park to spur development that would otherwise have stuck to Tryon or Church. My opinion, we want to avoid having one street be the only developed one - the skyline looks great from one angle and is hidden 90 degrees away.

I agree bork. I am just being the critic I am. Many of these guys here know how badly I HATE those lots. I am just hoping we do not see a wonderful park that is isolated from the rest of the city. I know that the lots WILL fill in, but the question is how long will it take. We already have tons of construction going on now and with each and every project developers run the risk of creating too much supply too quickly. It is possible that we could see a slow down after the initial surge of units are build, just so the supply/demand element is worked through the system. All in all I am happy about the park. I think that in the end we ALL will be glad that we preserved some land in the heart of Uptown so that we (as well as future generations) will be able to enjoy the landscape in the middle of our urban oasis. :)

A2

I created a little guide for us to be clear on site locations around the third ward park.

The sites shaded in black have definite plans, or current development. The sites shaded in white are currently vacant and have no announced plans or proposals.

43708656-L-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would post this here even though some of this discussion stems from The Avenue thread. I know we are all anticipating that Novare will announce a new tower soon in SouthPark. I was thinking that this new announcement could be a TWELVE. It seems like Novare would want to put a more luxury oriented development in SP and now that that one hotel near the mall is going condo there is an opportunity for a new hotel to enter. Also, I think that guy from Ritz that was supposed to build that hotel in Dee-Dee land is from Atlanta. After Dee-Dee Land fell through it left an opening for a luxury hotel in SP. Perhaps the folks at Novare were aware of their fellow Atlantan hotelier's plans and are moving in to take the opportunity to build a hotel in SP. Just a thought.

• 1 month later...

Well.....Novare has selected the location for its next condo tower......here's a clue, its not SouthPark (though they are negotiating for a site there as well)......that's right, a 2nd Uptown location is in the works.....and it's in a place where I've been longing for redevelopment (no, not a surface lot).

Does it remove an existing ugly building?

Yep.....bulldoze it.

or on top of an existing parking deck?

Ummm...actually bulldoze that too.

I wish it was the Days Inn, but alas not. I'll let the trusty media reveal more, and hopefully they will dig up the specifics like height/units/whether or not there will be a TWELVE hotel attached. Everyone be on the watch, because I believe there will be some sort of announcement soon.

Archived