Dexter Training Ground

Liamlunchtray

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i can, however, understand why they might close down the fields to the public, mainly to prevent vandalism, but you would think that they could just limit the hours of availability to something like "dawn to dusk" or have actual posted hours like 8:00 am until 8:00 pm when school is not in session and 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm when school is in session (again, except when reserved). anyone on the fields and courts outside those hours can be considered trespassing.

car honking, kids, flyers, graffiti... wow, that sounds horrible! actually, it sounds like a normal, healthy city. why are you guys so bummed out? did you just move here from the suburbs or something? y'all sound like you'd prefer something out of the stepford wives...

from reading through this thread, it sounds like the Armory's got a lot of yuppified NIMBY's on their hands... and a lot of them seem to own dogs. Thanks for this insight into your community.

car honking, kids, flyers, graffiti... wow, that sounds horrible! actually, it sounds like a normal, healthy city. why are you guys so bummed out? did you just move here from the suburbs or something? y'all sound like you'd prefer something out of the stepford wives...

from reading through this thread, it sounds like the Armory's got a lot of yuppified NIMBY's on their hands... and a lot of them seem to own dogs. Thanks for this insight into your community.

i am sure i am not alone in believing that living in a city doesn't automatically mean filthy streets, rats, scoff-laws, unshoveled sidewalks, crime-ridden public parks, substandard school systems etc. The idea that a city has to be crappy in order to be a healthy city is easily one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this message board.

i am sure i am not alone in believing that living in a city doesn't automatically mean filthy streets, rats, scoff-laws, unshoveled sidewalks, crime-ridden public parks, substandard school systems etc. The idea that a city has to be crappy in order to be a healthy city is easily one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this message board.

Chauncy, you are seriously misreading everything that we discuss on this board. Providence is a great city and no one here will argue that. Sure there are problems as there are in every city. We're here to nitpick the problems. OK maybe that's not the point, but it's certainly what happens.

Providence is a city that was mired in corruption and stagnation for many decades. We're definitely on the upswing now and we can afford to fixate on issues like the problems with the dog park process. That doesn't mean we have to accept the remaining issues. We're fighting to make Providence the world-class city that it deserves to be.

Let us know when you get here and we'll be happy to show you all the great things this city has to offer. I bet everyone on this board will get together to welcome you.

BTW, the mall *has* an Apple Store. For most of us, the beef was that many other cities smaller than PVD got one before we did, despite the fact that we have a large design school which should be the traditional Apple market. The Big Little just gets no respect. :)

noise violations, graffiti, barking dogs, vandalizing public property. Guess what? All against the law. And no one has to accept those quality of life issues in order to have the street cred to live in the city or to appreciate what an urban NEIGHBORHOOD has to offer. Anyone who would decide where to live in Providence by lurking in a message board and then criticizing the residents because they aren't urban enough--what is that about?

car horns are not a fact of life in the city. i believe new york even has some of the strictest noise ordinances in certain neighborhoods with signs that say "no horns" on some streets. if new york isn't a real city, i don't know what is. there is nothing worse (as happened to me this morning) than waking up earlier than planned (and suddenly) to some lazy jerk beeping for someone to come outside... and then beeping again when they didn't haer it the first time... an then laying on the horn because they didn't hear it the second time... and then driving off because he realized it was the wrong day for the carpool.

i agreed with you that people shouldn't put dogs before children, but this other stuff... wow. i'm ready to talk to my neighbor downstairs because his buddies are too lazy to ring the doorbell.

I've been lurking this board for about a week to learn more about providence since I might have to move here, and I keep reading posts by people who are seemingly complaining that Providence is not a suburb. Delivery trucks drive through residential neighborhoods, you can hear your neighbors arguing, kids throw tags up on park benches, poor people don't promptly sweep their rented stoops, there's no place for my cattle dog to run around, my tree fell down, this parking lot needs better landscaping, the mall (?!?) needs a mac store, etc, etc... if these are your concerns, you should move to a gated community, not a city. If you think that Providence is a sh*thole because your weimeraner can't take it's morning run and your neighbors boyfriend likes to honk his horn, you probably should move someplace rural.

-chance

Archived