Dexter Training Ground

Liamlunchtray

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Far be it from me to suggest that there are more constructive ways of stimulating discussion in a thread than complaining about how boring it is. :P

basachs - any indication on when the city might move on this, or is this "information gathering" phase going to take us into 2008?

Far be it from me to suggest that there are more constructive ways of stimulating discussion in a thread than complaining about how boring it is. :P

basachs - any indication on when the city might move on this, or is this "information gathering" phase going to take us into 2008?

Well, I dont believe Cotuit has dogs or children, and he has had to manage this thread through some tough times, splitting it now 2 or 3 times into its own section so the kids can play without bothering anyone.. :)

As for your question, all indications are that the city will act on this during the summer of '07. The current situation is untenable, and is preventing improvements. At the public meeting, there were specific dates spelled out in the handouts. I believe these are also on the website.

No offense intended to Cotuit.

I checked out the website - I had looked at it before, checked the plans, but I looked again this morning and couldn't find it. The perils of posting from work! I wanted to look it over again (and have, since my post this morning), in light of this comment:

I just didn't know if "more options" would throw off the schedule a little, a lot or not at all, especially in light of the fact that there's no additional public meeting between now and the end of public comment on the 19th/selection of the "preferred option" on the 26th. Hard to get comments on a new proposal if there's no mechanism for disseminating additional options.

Anyway, I'm not trying to imply that you have (or should have) all the answers. Just curious if we should expect further options, or if the two on the site are the only two to choose from...

I do think that both uses can and should be accomodated.

However, if the minimum standard for a dog park is 150 ft. x 150 ft. I think that's rather oversized and certainly going to limit the number of places that these dog parks can be located (how many city parks have 22,500 sf of unused land to spare?). Unless there are dozens of dogs using the space at one time (which would probably not be a good idea to begin with), it would seem reasonable that the area could be trimmed back by at least half.

Pardon me if I can't just politely agree that the needs of animals and the adults (who chose to have dogs in the city) who own them are equivalent to the needs of children. And pardon me if I don't think that the expense to taxpayers is an acceptable way to measure the value of people.

Look, I like to swim. I also like to do other things. There is space for me to do other things in Dexter Park. There is not a place for me to swim. Does that make me a second-class citizen? Yeah, the poor, second-class dog owners. . . give me a break.

I am trying so hard to stay polite. I think I had better just shut up.

The same could be said for ball players.

Ball players who do have other options for places to play on this side of town. You don't hear people whining about there not being any tennis courts in Dex. Maybe that is because those people are being reasonable and realize that they can walk down the street and play at Classical/Central's courts. They accept that you can't possibly accommodate every sport at every park.

I give credit to those (such as bsachs) who are at least trying to.

I've been thinking about moving to the Armory from Philly, so I've been watching this thread. As an outsider and a life-long city-dweller, I have to admit that I'm a little amazed by this debate -- if there's a conflict between the needs of children and the needs of dogs, shouldn't the answer be obvious?

To me it seems like the dogs and the kids are the biggest losers here.

1. Dogs that need to run a lot don't belong in cities. Keeping them here is just cruel. When I begged my parents for a collie-dog (I was into Lassie, what can I say?), they said "No. Big dogs don't belong in cities." So I was bummed for a while, but ultimately, this is something I have come to believe. Seems like some Armory dog owners are trying to fit suburban pegs into urban holes. Keeping a golden retriever in a city is no more feasible than trying to parallel park an (aptly-named) Chevy Suburban in a city. Neither thing was designed for urban use. There are plenty of city-appropriate dog breeds and mutts that do not need dog runs to be content in life.

2. Kids, on the other hand, belong in every community. And kids should have the opportunity to play baseball. It's the American way.

Basically, dogs are invited guests into our community. Children are citizens and members of the human race. This whole thing just seems kind of backwards and decadent to me.

-Chance

i agree but i actually think you cannot play on classical's courts, which I think is a real problem considering that public schools are public property... Unless something has changed--last year residents couldn't use the courts even when they were not in use by students. I would be pleased to stand corrected if this is no longer the case.

i agree but i actually think you cannot play on classical's courts, which I think is a real problem considering that public schools are public property... Unless something has changed--last year residents couldn't use the courts even when they were not in use by students. I would be pleased to stand corrected if this is no longer the case.

The public is not able to use any of the fields at Classical/Central unless you rent them. I spoke with the direcotr of Athletics about this when this dog park issue first came to be to see if those could be used. I am pretty sure the tennis courts at Hope High School can be used though. Which shows a bit of disparity.

Personally, I think athletic fields on public school grounds should be able to be used and I am surprised they are not here. That was not the case where I grew up. It is definitely an issue to be worked on.

The public is not able to use any of the fields at Classical/Central unless you rent them. I spoke with the direcotr of Athletics about this when this dog park issue first came to be to see if those could be used. I am pretty sure the tennis courts at Hope High School can be used though. Which shows a bit of disparity.

Personally, I think athletic fields on public school grounds should be able to be used and I am surprised they are not here. That was not the case where I grew up. It is definitely an issue to be worked on.

I agree, which is why I have started a new grass roots organization - "Friends of the Armory Parking Lot". We aim to expand the parking lot behind the Armory to cover the entire Dexter Training Ground. This will hopefully rid our neighborhood of both Dogs and Children.

Well, just make sure your "Friends of the Armory Parking Lot" group remembers to take down all of their flyers after their meetings. The Friends of Dexter Training Ground Ballfield seems to have forgotten to do that and we've all had to stare at their signs now even though the event has come and gone. Come on, peops...

Archived