Plan Baton Rouge

richyb83

How does I-110 between I-10 and the Govenors Mansion help with Southern University traffic? 

Good point, but Baton Rouge fits. It's not downtown that is hindered by the freeway, it's the area directly around it. Mid-City has not shown much investment between it's western boundary and N 22nd St.

I'd like to see it torn down from I-10 to Airline Hwy but a large tree-lined boulevard between I-10 and Capitol Acess Rd would help bridge the gap. With the Government St project beginning, the Entergy Site plans underway, and all of the blocks in that immediate area are begging for it-in my opinion.

I thought  y'all was saying get rid of the 110  from the gov mansion to hwy 19. 

Good point, but Baton Rouge fits. It's not downtown that is hindered by the freeway, it's the area directly around it. Mid-City has not shown much investment between it's western boundary and N 22nd St.

I'd like to see it torn down from I-10 to Airline Hwy but a large tree-lined boulevard between I-10 and Capitol Acess Rd would help bridge the gap. With the Government St project beginning, the Entergy Site plans underway, and all of the blocks in that immediate area are begging for it-in my opinion.

Part of that has something to do with Downtown having the advantage of being within the boundaries of the DDD. Now that DDD has expanded past I-110, I expect even more activity than what has already been seen in projects such as the Elysian and the old Olinde-Corona Building. Downtown has served as a jumping off point for redevelopment in the inner-city of Baton Rouge. You know as well as I that it takes time for that development to radiate outward into the neighborhoods. 

We can live without the mighty freeway.

We can live without alot of things. 

But there are other ways to connect the areas and keep I -10. It's called large scale redevelopment like this alternate street grid I made: 

nwhvr9.png

I'm making a blog post that will detail this map more, but basically you have to make the streets connect and encourage development of those areas. Make those areas a part of the community through parks and gardens, building big attractions on the other side also helps. 

Part of that has something to do with Downtown having the advantage of being within the boundaries of the DDD. Now that DDD has expanded past I-110, I expect even more activity than what has already been seen in projects such as the Elysian and the old Olinde-Corona Building. Downtown has served as a jumping off point for redevelopment in the inner-city of Baton Rouge. You know as well as I that it takes time for that development to radiate outward into the neighborhoods. 

We can live without alot of things. 

Well we haven't seen any gentrification yet either. Once the demand for city living increases, I think we'll see more private investment. Specifically the neighborhood north of Florida Blvd. It should be very easy there.

But there are other ways to connect the areas and keep I -10. It's called large scale redevelopment like this alternate street grid I made: 

I'm making a blog post that will detail this map more, but basically you have to make the streets connect and encourage development of those areas. Make those areas a part of the community through parks and gardens, building big attractions on the other side also helps. 

I can't talk much about other cities that have demo'd their innercity freeways but in the case of New Orleans, Claiborne used to be a beautiul oak lined boulevard with activity and the homes in the immediate parrallel of it were desireable (as far as I know).

If you're familiar with the overpass, it is now an area to avoid. An area that's seedy and completely kills pedestrian activity, an area where tourists are advised not to go.

I believe reconnecting broken grids are essential to Mid-City, however, you can't deny that I-110 is a problem that numerous other cities have as well. The best solution I've seen so far is demolition and replace with a wide boulevard.

I'll be looking forward to the blog!

Well we haven't seen any gentrification yet either. Once the demand for city living increases, I think we'll see more private investment. Specifically the neighborhood north of Florida Blvd. It should be very easy there.

I can't talk much about other cities that have demo'd their innercity freeways but in the case of New Orleans, Claiborne used to be a beautiul oak lined boulevard with activity and the homes in the immediate parrallel of it were desireable (as far as I know).

If you're familiar with the overpass, it is now an area to avoid. An area that's seedy and completely kills pedestrian activity, an area where tourists are advised not to go.

I believe reconnecting broken grids are essential to Mid-City, however, you can't deny that I-110 is a problem that numerous other cities have as well. The best solution I've seen so far is demolition and replace with a wide boulevard.

I'll be looking forward to the blog!

I agree with your Florida blvd. statement. Once you get the right catalyst (airport and tech-park, with maybe some downtown area development) that place will see more gentrification than Chicago's South Side. 

I am familiar with the place you're talking about. Personally I think New Orleans has the worst interstate layout of any Southern city. It simply sucks and is way too devisive in the city. I would actually like it if it was torn down and re-done. I just don't think Baton Rouge has to or should go that far. It doesn't really need it. 

May I ask how their interstate system is devisive?

It cuts through the heart of the city and makes a strange loop in the cities heart. I think it would have been much better if it was on a dyke along the coast of Lake Pontchartain with two sections that lead to the other side of the river for the city. Free up the city center and makes the city safer. Then in the areas that the interstate was torn down you create beautifully landscaped boulevards that make inner city travel faster and keep the cities natural beauty intact. 

It cuts through the heart of the city and makes a strange loop in the cities heart. I think it would have been much better if it was on a dyke along the coast of Lake Pontchartain with two sections that lead to the other side of the river for the city. Free up the city center and makes the city safer. Then in the areas that the interstate was torn down you create beautifully landscaped boulevards that make inner city travel faster and keep the cities natural beauty intact. 

Does I-110 not cut through the heart of the city?

But as far as New Orleans..

You have to realize that if a freeway were built on Lake Pontchartrain, there would be no lakefront or none of those upscale neighborhoods there. I-10 to the CCC doesn't seem to be the issue, same with I-610. I-10 from I-610 to the CCC is the part which brings most concern.

I do think the whole Causeway Blvd should be a complete freeway from I-12 to Hwy 90, though.

Does I-110 not cut through the heart of the city?

But as far as New Orleans..

You have to realize that if a freeway were built on Lake Pontchartrain, there would be no lakefront or none of those upscale neighborhoods there. I-10 to the CCC doesn't seem to be the issue, same with I-610. I-10 from I-610 to the CCC is the part which brings most concern.

I do think the whole Causeway Blvd should be a complete freeway from I-12 to Hwy 90, though.

I think this cities heart is the Garden District-LSU and the interstate here does not really break up that area, but that area I think is where the cities cultural epicenter is. 

That's why I say you build a dyke, it keeps the lakefront and upscale neighborhoods, moves the interstate out of the cities heart, and provides more protection from hurricanes. 

Are you familiar with the dyke systems of the Netherlands? I think that applying similar techniques would be hugely beneficial to the city as a whole. 

I think this cities heart is the Garden District-LSU and the interstate here does not really break up that area, but that area I think is where the cities cultural epicenter is. 

That's why I say you build a dyke, it keeps the lakefront and upscale neighborhoods, moves the interstate out of the cities heart, and provides more protection from hurricanes. 

Are you familiar with the dyke systems of the Netherlands? I think that applying similar techniques would be hugely beneficial to the city as a whole. 

The heart of this city is LSU/downtown/Mid-City. The culture of the city itself stretches all the way up through the ghetto neighborhoods to Southern University. The "cultural epicenter" of Baton Rouge does not only include the highly desirable neighborhoods. The I-110 certainly disrupts urban neighborhoods along much of its span. Parts of Beauregard Town and Spanish Town were demolished for the right-of-way. Mid-City North was dealt the same fate.

There's a levee there already. I don't think cutting off access to the lakefront in a tourist city is a valid alternative. I think the Claiborne bridge should go, but not the rest.

The Army Corps of Engineers built a proper flood control system, it performed well during Isaac and should keep the city dry for our lifetime.

The heart of this city is LSU/downtown/Mid-City. The culture of the city itself stretches all the way up through the ghetto neighborhoods to Southern University. The "cultural epicenter" of Baton Rouge does not only include the highly desirable neighborhoods. The I-110 certainly disrupts urban neighborhoods along much of its span. Parts of Beauregard Town and Spanish Town were demolished for the right-of-way. Mid-City North was dealt the same fate.

There's a levee there already. I don't think cutting off access to the lakefront in a tourist city is a valid alternative. I think the Claiborne bridge should go, but not the rest.

The Army Corps of Engineers built a proper flood control system, it performed well during Isaac and should keep the city dry for our lifetime.

I hope so, I don't want to see that city flood again. 

And to be blunt the interstates will come down when the people in those highly desirable neighborhoods want them out, until then I doubt we will see any change. 

Personally I would love to see a manicured natural boulevard where I-110 is, that would just be beautiful and really enhance and connect the city, but until a lot of people start complaining its best to focus our energy on alternate solutions that could have similar affects. 

I hope so, I don't want to see that city flood again. 

And to be blunt the interstates will come down when the people in those highly desirable neighborhoods want them out, until then I doubt we will see any change. 

Personally I would love to see a manicured natural boulevard where I-110 is, that would just be beautiful and really enhance and connect the city, but until a lot of people start complaining its best to focus our energy on alternate solutions that could have similar affects. 

There are no highly desirable neighborhoods that I-110 cuts in half besides Spanish Town. Same goes for New Orleans and the Claiborne bridge. Yet plenty of people are ready to tear that sucker down.

People don't have to complain about it for it to be torn down. People weren't foaming at the mouth when the DDD was established or when Kip spent all that tax money on downtown projects. But they all went forward and now we have a real downtown. I don't remember people clamoring about how the city was neglected except for South Baton Rouge, now Government St is about to embark on a big road diet project and more private sector announcements are on the way.  The same would apply here.

Nothing can have the same effect as tearing down I-110 as tearing down I-110.

I don't see how you could take down our 110 "skyway" without putting up a rediculous number of new stop lights/stop signs. Even if we turned it into a boulevard with no left turn entrances, the speed limit would have to be reduced dramatically. I'm imagining a Veterans or Esplanade type of setup...

...I do, however, agree that a boulevard would be way more attractive and much better at atleast visually connecting the neighborhoods.

Edited by ehyfield

I don't see how you could take down our 110 "skyway" without putting up a rediculous number of new stop lights/stop signs. Even if we turned it into a boulevard with no left turn entrances, the speed limit would have to be reduced dramatically. I'm imagining a Veterans or Esplanade type of setup...

...I do, however, agree that a boulevard would be way more attractive and much better at atleast visually connecting the neighborhoods.

You could put roundabouts in... :thumbsup:

Nice conversation....might be Interesting to see a trial run!  I like grand tree-lined boulevards & Roundabouts as much as anybody...

BUT in this case it's simply too vital & quick non-stop connection to the airport & up north to Natchez. + Exxon purchased about 40 blocks of houses west of I-110 & turned into green space for safety/lawsuit reasons...so they really are not breaking up any neighborhoods up that way...Scenic Hwy & Plank Road are adjacent Major north/south routes that run parallel to I-110

I have always wondered WHO decided on the whacky/dangerous I-110 route near Memorial Stadium with the 90 degree turns?? Originally it was just a mile or so long east-west expressway back in my parents/grandparents day.

And...Let's remember what/who Interstate's were originally/TRULY designed for...not us...

Hey Antrell...how would this tie-into to your proposed I-51 that's basically an extension of I-110? Or have you changed your mind since then?

6904978274_856423e386_c.jpg

Why is that a problem? There's plenty of stop signs and lights in urban areas as it is. Nothing different here. Nothing like Vets, more like Canal St.

Nice conversation....might be Interesting to see a trial run!  I like grand tree-lined boulevards & Roundabouts as much as anybody...

BUT in this case it's simply too vital & quick non-stop connection to the airport & up north to Natchez. + Exxon purchased about 40 blocks of houses west of I-110 & turned into green space for safety/lawsuit reasons...so they really are not breaking up any neighborhoods up that way...Scenic Hwy & Plank Road are adjacent Major north/south routes that run parallel to I-110

I have always wondered WHO decided on the whacky/dangerous I-110 route near Memorial Stadium with the 90 degree turns?? Originally it was just a mile or so long east-west expressway back in my parents/grandparents day.

And...Let's remember what/who Interstate's were originally/TRULY designed for...not us...

Hey Antrell...how would this tie-into to your proposed I-51 that's basically an extension of I-110? Or have you changed your mind since then?

The street grid is decimated along it's whole stretch north of the Governors mansion. I don't think it would discourage use of BTR to be honest. Might be a more visually appealing trip, actually.  My main concern is for the downtown stretch, it has the most impact there.

If we step back a little, the alternative to a freeway route would be to rebuild the HPL, and build a freeway from the bridge to I-10 in Port Allen, which would tie into the proposed "Westbank" Expressway.

Yeah that curve is pretty ridiculous but it does give a great view of the Capitol building.

Haven't changed my mind, I still thinkI-51 needs to be built all the way to Pine Bluff, AR, except there would be no monstrosity separating downtown and Mid-City. Thanks for bringing that up!

Why is that a problem? There's plenty of stop signs and lights in urban areas as it is. Nothing different here. Nothing like Vets, more like Canal St.

I think of the congestion and gridlock that comes with lights and stop signs as unappealing. I would want something different. Edited by ehyfield

DDD Commission Meeting
January 13, 2015, 8:00 a.m.
Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center,
201 Lafayette Street
AGENDA
1. Call to Order
2. Declare Quorum
3. Approve Agenda
4. Approve January 13, 2015 Minutes
5. Board Action
6. Update from Previous Board Meeting
a. Governmental Issues
• New Board Members
b. Development Initiatives
• Hilton Renovations
• 2015 Approved Projects
• TAP Grant Award
• Baton Rouge Town Homes
• 440 on Third Update
• North Boulevard Town Square Update
• Riverfront Gateways / River Road Improvements
• Florida Street and Lafayette Street Improvements
• Downtown Maintenance Committee
• Downtown Greenway Update
• New Businesses
• Events
o Louisiana Marathon - January 16-19
o Martin Luther King Parade - January 19
o Mardi Gras Parades
o B.R. Arts Market - February 7
o Foundation for Historical Louisiana/Old Governor's Mansion
o Manship Theatre Events / LSU MOA
o Capitol Park Museum
o Old State Capitol
o River Center Events
o BRSO
o LASM
o USS Kidd
7. Strategic Plan
a. Plan Baton Rouge II
8. Ongoing Projects
• CPEX
• BREADA
• DBA
9. Correspondence
10. Public Comment

richy.......

While the re-do @ River Road & Florida Street is certainly a welcome and needed change, I noticed that actually constructed is not as reflected on the rendering, please note the renderings show attractive landscaped berms with trees and ground cover on either side of the entrance, certainly more appealing than the stark painted concrete walls that were actually constructed.

Any idea why the change?

imgSpacer.gif

RiverRoadRedo111.jpg

RiverRoadRedo22.jpg

RiverRoadRedo33.jpg

imgSpacer.gif