275 Fulton Place

mgreven

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the new paint job looks good. It's not like city hall's building or anything.

If the glass was perhaps a different color or more transparent it would maybe look even better.

Of course - I still like Founders Bank building much better in comparison.

The following statement is most likely one of the dumbest statements I have heard from a bank president in recent memory:

Dunlap said he also was swayed by a Grand Rapids Press editorial from June that noted "Downtown isn't well served by bustling new buildings and empty old ones."

The following statement is most likely one of the dumbest statements I have heard from a bank president in recent memory:

If I'm ever swayed in such a fashion by a GR Press editorial, I hope someone takes me out back and shoots me.

So is downtown well served by sh*tty older buildings? Doesn't Class A office space always trump Class B office space? Is Huntington really the white knight by staying put? Doesn't downtown need some good modern office space, or are we all resolved at looking like a revved up version of Souix City, Iowa? Look! We have a JW! Let's all rest on our laurel's as if the rest of the world is in awe by our new $269 a night hotel.

Grand Rapids: Climbing the rung to mediocrity; one slow step at a time.

Joe

The sad thing is that it is only too good to be true because that is the mentality in Grand Rapids. Are the current projects (GRAM, VAI II, JW, RDV buildings) the end of the "second wave" of development in this city? After it is done, are we going to have to wait for twenty years?

I sure hope not, but I also don't see a whole lot being done to help developers that have name that start with D and end with S get proper incentives to get projects off the ground (which in turn create jobs, income tax, and continued growth for the city). The city of Grand Rapids should be doing everything within its power to help 275 Fulton succeed. It's an expensive building and a bold move. Why haven't we seen scrambling of the troops?! The only thing I've seen is Chris saying "it's dead, oh wait, it's not". Let's not prematurely kill a great project (whether the style is to your liking or not).

Joe

:rofl:

Well said! To be honest, I still think that this building is too good to be true, unfortunately. If only someone would step up to the plate and be the anchor tenant for this thing.

Grand Rapids, to me, is having the largest growth spurt in it's recent history. For the last half century it has been loosing people to the suburbs and now, completely out of state (me being one of them). Yet it is turning around. All this investment in Medical Mile will bring a new level of industry the city hasn't seen since it's booming furniture days. All those workers will need amenities while working and living downtown. Thus, I feel that more businesses and retail will follow suit in opening up in downtown. The key to all this is keeping those workers downtown and not in the suburbs. If the urban scene (green spaces and retail) aren't there for them, then the burbs is where they will head to every day. That's where transit obviously comes into play. In my opinion, transit development decisions will determine the "third wave" of development.

I'm very optimistic for GR because of it's progressive stance on transit. Unlike many cities in Michigan, GR already has an awesome bus service system and has undertaken the begining steps to implement a small version of a light rail street car system (transit center up Monroe I believe). This seemingly radical idea needs UP support in the planing process because I can't stress enough: TRANSIT, TRANSIT, TRANSIT!!!! Let's just hope our civic leaders have the passion to see this through and not settle for mediocrity.

The sad thing is that it is only too good to be true because that is the mentality in Grand Rapids. Are the current projects (GRAM, VAI II, JW, RDV buildings) the end of the "second wave" of development in this city? After it is done, are we going to have to wait for twenty years?

Grand Rapids, to me, is having the largest growth spurt in it's recent history. For the last half century it has been loosing people to the suburbs and now, completely out of state (me being one of them). Yet it is turning around. All this investment in Medical Mile will bring a new level of industry the city hasn't seen since it's booming furniture days. All those workers will need amenities while working and living downtown. Thus, I feel that more businesses and retail will follow suit in opening up in downtown. The key to all this is keeping those workers downtown and not in the suburbs. If the urban scene (green spaces and retail) aren't there for them, then the burbs is where they will head to every day. That's where transit obviously comes into play. In my opinion, transit development decisions will determine the "third wave" of development.

I'm very optimistic for GR because of it's progressive stance on transit. Unlike many cities in Michigan, GR already has an awesome bus service system and has undertaken the begining steps to implement a small version of a light rail street car system (transit center up Monroe I believe). Let's just hope our civic leaders have the passion to see this through and not settle for mediocrity.

I agree that there is definitely reason to be optimistic, and there is also a need to forthright. I agree with Joe that we may be reaching a point where private development downtown (other than the big boys) reaches a plateau. There are a LOT more reasons for companies to build in the suburbs than to build downtown: lower cost and plentiful land, lower costs for parking, little or no income tax for its employees, easier approval processes, you name it. To get businesses and developers enticed to build downtown, you have to give incentives and be eager to help, or they won't come. The city of Grand Rapids needs to work to make itself open and fair and honest with ALL developers, not the one picking the winners and losers. When one of the largest development companies in the U.S. and the world considers downtown Grand Rapids to be a "closed shop", something's got to change.

But I digress from the 275 Fulton Place discussion. :blush:

To digress further,

Shouldn't the development process be this simple:

1) Developer comes up with brilliant idea (even if its only in their own mind), figures out if it is feasible.

2) Developer shows project to the city. If it fits zoning standards, city embraces growth opportunity.

3) City remains transparent an unbiased, clearing as many obstacles as possible.

4) City helps developer land all possible incentives to help make development a success.

5) Developer builds project.

6) City and citizens rejoice.

Grand Rapids needs to wake up and realize that everyone is here to eat their lunch. That not only refers to Cascade, GR Township, Alpine, Walker and Grandville but also Chicago, Indianapolis, Raleigh, Portland, Ft. Wayne, Boise or Flint.

We need to step it up, not slide into neutral, and I think the city needs to really covet developments like 275 Fulton. To give a $51 million project a couple hundred thousand in tax credits is asinine. Think about the additional income tax a shiny new building full of creative class people puts into downtown coffers. It's worth the city getting their fat arses out of their chairs and doing a little heavy lifting.

Joe

Apologies for taking this farther, but that was an eye catching comment. "Closed shop" -- that's great. :shok:

To digress further,

1) Developer comes up with brilliant idea (even if its only in their own mind), figures out if it is feasible.

2) Developer shows project to the city. If it fits zoning standards, city embraces growth opportunity.

3) City remains transparent an unbiased, clearing as many obstacles as possible.

4) City helps developer land all possible incentives to help make development a success.

Grand Rapids needs to wake up and realize that everyone is here to eat their lunch. That not only refers to Cascade, GR Township, Alpine, Walker and Grandville but also Chicago, Indianapolis, Raleigh, Portland, Ft. Wayne, Boise or Flint.

We need to step it up, not slide into neutral, and I think the city needs to really covet developments like 275 Fulton. To give a $51 million project a couple hundred thousand in tax credits is asinine. Think about the additional income tax a shiny new building full of creative class people puts into downtown coffers. It's worth the city getting their fat arses out of their chairs and doing a little heavy lifting.

Joe

To digress further,

Joe

Joe - Thanks for putting into words what I've been thinking all along - and not just about 275 Fulton. When I toured the new GRAM this week, I commented to my friend "We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto." Great things are really starting to happen in this city and we need our elected officials to keep the momentum going. You've laid out a simple blueprint - now let's hope they follow it.

To digress further,

Joe

• 5 weeks later...

I'm thinking - maaaaybe - with BOA buying out LaSalle that maybe BOA wants a new office...you think the project could be on hold for them for a future development? Would you think you'd be able to clearly see the signage from 131 passing through downtown?

just some thoughts...

I'm thinking - maaaaybe - with BOA buying out LaSalle that maybe BOA wants a new office...you think the project could be on hold for them for a future development? Would you think you'd be able to clearly see the signage from 131 passing through downtown?

just some thoughts...

Well we can all agree that BOA is pretty presence hungry - and they probably want to be visible up front and center as much as they can. I think it'd be a perfect spot for them

And that could leave the current LaSalle building open for a touch of remodeling and offering high end office space/residence/retail/etc.

I think it'd be a perfect move.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived