Perception of Charlotte Nationwide

5 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

https://www.zagat.com/b/30-most-exciting-food-cities-in-america-2017

This isn't about Charlotte being placed on a top 30 most exciting food city list, but about Charlotte NOT being on one. This is why I cringe every time someone from Asheville, Chapel Hill, Durham, Atlanta or Charleston opens a second restaurant in Charlotte. We should be opening our own restaurants, so we can be on this list.

Exactly. There's even a Johnson and Wales here. We are literally a chef factory. This should have translated by now into at least some mild success in the food world.

Charlotteans need to get better about supporting each other and lifting each other up. 

9 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Exactly. There's even a Johnson and Wales here. We are literally a chef factory. This should have translated by now into at least some mild success in the food world.

Charlotteans need to get better about supporting each other and lifting each other up. 

It's ironic that when the campus of Johnson and Wales was being set up in Charlotte, the fact that Charlotte will know be on the "culinary map" was touted.  Here we are 10 years later lamented that we aren't!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rancenc said:

It's ironic that when the campus of Johnson and Wales was being set up in Charlotte, the fact that Charlotte will know be on the "culinary map" was touted.  Here we are 10 years later lamented that we aren't!

Charlotte's been on some "fastest growing food scenes" lists. I think the food scene has gotten light years better than it was 10 years ago. LIGHT YEARS. That said, Charlotte lacks the cheap urban spaces that every single other place on the list of 30 has (except places like NYC and San Fran).

People like Asana are creating what could probably have been urban spaces, but leasing them out for expensive class AA prices, and filling them with regional powerhouses. Is the Food Truck Scene still going well there? This always felt like it filled a little bit of that missing niche. I think the food hall concept at Tompkins could help incubate too.

The bottom line is, Charlotte's lack of historic low slung retail buildings is what kills Charlotte's retail scene. Kind of hard to create ambiance in a strip mall. 

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The bottom line is, Charlotte's lack of historic low slung retail buildings is what kills Charlotte's retail scene. Kind of hard to create ambiance in a strip mall. 

This is where we differ. 

As a native, I have grown beyond weary of the idea that only certain neighborhoods and ideals are worth mentioning. I bought that cool neighborhood map of charlotte I'm sure many of you have seen and my neighborhood wasn't even on it. The house I live in and the ones around it have been in Charlotte city limits since before many of you were born, but somehow the area wasn't important enough for that piece of art.

At one point, this part of town had ALL of the Korean restaurants, the only Polish restaurant (right on the border), a Cuban place (one of only 2 or 3 in the city) some other cool cuisines (I see you, New Zealand) that aren't anywhere else in the city, and even a randomly specific Egyptian bakery (it was gross, but it was here). As of last week, I bought a roadside papusa and have seen many more fun and interesting things in the area that get ignored because people want to play games like that C5 best neighborhood bracket racket. We are not big or cohesive enough for that devisive stuff yet, imo.

Anyway, the point is it's not the structure or even the neighborhood.  Charlotte is still growing. Trying to find the cool and interesting and sell that to people means looking at the Charlotte way things have been done and appreciating that until things change. After all, they moved to Charlotte - not New York (no offense ).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

This is where we differ. 

As a native, I have grown beyond weary of the idea that only certain neighborhoods and ideals are worth mentioning. I bought that cool neighborhood map of charlotte I'm sure many of you have seen and my neighborhood wasn't even on it. The house I live in and the ones around it have been in Charlotte city limits since before many of you were born, but somehow the area wasn't important enough for that piece of art.

At one point, this part of town had ALL of the Korean restaurants, the only Polish restaurant (right on the border), a Cuban place (one of only 2 or 3 in the city) some other cool cuisines (I see you, New Zealand) that aren't anywhere else in the city, and even a randomly specific Egyptian bakery (it was gross, but it was here). As of last week, I bought a roadside papusa and have seen many more fun and interesting things in the area that get ignored because people want to play games like that C5 best neighborhood bracket racket. We are not big or cohesive enough for that devisive stuff yet, imo.

Anyway, the point is it's not the structure or even the neighborhood.  Charlotte is still growing. Trying to find the cool and interesting and sell that to people means looking at the Charlotte way things have been done and appreciating that until things change. After all, they moved to Charlotte - not New York (no offense ).

We don't differ at all in this respect, I promise you that. Charlotte has a great international food community that just gets NO LOVE publicly. 

37 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

This is where we differ. 

27 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

We don't differ at all in this respect, I promise you that. Charlotte has a great international food community that just gets NO LOVE publicly. 

These are interesting and great points. As a native of our metro suburb area (sterile), I became obsessed with Charlotte's oldest neighborhoods and the trendiness that has come out of them.

In the last couple years, however, as we've become fatigued and disillusioned by that scene, we have ventured back out into the suburban areas we always ignored.

We have had far better, and far more diverse offerings of, food than we ever had near Uptown and the inner ring. And at lower prices. So much of it is perception and fear. It's complicated.

Also, it will be interesting in the next couple decades to see who suburban retrofit happens in the areas where it is warranted. The biggest issue is that they are still so dispersed in the suburban model, so incorporating housing into theseveral places will be critical. There are great things happening nationally where retrofit involves housing and retail. So we'll see.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I honestly didn't mean to just refer to the international food issue. That's just my scene and I was thinking in different languages.  I trust you got me, though. You seem like a right smart, fella.

34 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

These are interesting and great points. As a native of our metro suburb area (sterile), I became obsessed with Charlotte's oldest neighborhoods and the trendiness that has come out of them.

In the last couple years, however, as we've become fatigued and disillusioned by that scene, we have ventured back out into the suburban areas we always ignored.

We have had far better, and far more diverse offerings of, food than we ever had near Uptown and the inner ring. And at lower prices. So much of it is perception and fear. It's complicated.

Also, it will be interesting in the next couple decades to see who suburban retrofit happens in the areas where it is warranted. The biggest issue is that they are still so dispersed in the suburban model, so incorporating housing into theseveral places will be critical. There are great things happening nationally where retrofit involves housing and retail. So we'll see.

I live near where the Galleria station will be located. I am really interested in seeing that transform.

Oh, and while I am already at it, there should be a Nepali restaurant in the area soon....just saying.

• 2 weeks later...

Front page of the Wall St Journal's Mansion (Real estate) section about golf course living and why many are choosing intown neighborhoods. Generally a very positive article for Charlotte even though there is really only 1 gated golf course neighborhood here Longview and a section of Quail Hollow but just a section of it.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/realestate/in-charlotte-golfers-are-leaving-gated-communities-for-hipper-urban-neighborhoods/ar-AAvvTjC

• Like 1

another KJ original  we are UPtown Upscale and UPbeat 

and our Charlotte UP is the best! LOL  this coffee is really kicking in now......

Austin:  Keep it Weird,  Live Music Capital, 

Houston:  We are an Original, H-Town

El Paso:  Gateway City,  and my favorite El Paso UP   

Charlotte:   Fast Cars and Raising the Bar!      actually I like this one.  when I have been overseas if someone knew anything about Charlotte it was NASCAR   

(this 2nd cup of covfefe is really helping) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Episode 2,892,117: NY taxi driver yesterday: You are from Charlotte. I LOVE Charlotte, so historic. (He was thinking of Charleston).

Charlotte: A Forest with Houses in it

(This is an actual quote from a visitor from Benelux who lived here for a year or two and was interviewed on his departure. It was his description of Charlotte after his lifetime in  his 1000 year old city.

• Like 1

I mean, we do have Queen City which is very fitting for our City and has history to it.  I believe Bank Town was another that's kinda faded away.  

As for something new, how about "Charlotte is Charlotte".  We always talk about creating our own identity and culture and try to separate our town from others. What better way than saying that Charlotte is Charlotte, we're not really weird, corky,  or funky in any respect, we're not a gateway city or anything, we're just Charlotte, which is awesome in its own right.  Let's build on our name and let people know that we are CHARLOTTE and that's all we're trying to be.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Honestly what is wrong with the Queen City?  Cincy may try to claim it but they are not named for  an actual queen as we are.    Charlotte The Queen City: Come See our Jewels!    (okay there might be a downfall with this one too) 

Queen City is a great nickname, and nicknames are tough to manufacture anyway.  I don't think the slogan 'Charlotte's got a lot' is bad either considering how broad it had to be to get all the necessary parties to sign off on it, but it could probably be improved upon.  My contribution to the cause:

Queen of the South

Queen of the 13

GET Char-LIT

Crown Jewel of the South

Down in the Bankwoods

The Cul-de-Sac at the end of Wall St.

Down Home Uptown

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 3