The Hat Factory

wrldcoupe4

I just noticed that Toads calls itself CLUB PULSE for its Saturday night dance parties. It starts at 11PM after tonight's concert by Crocs Marathon. (I don't know if that's the name of a band or if it is a reference to the Richmond Marathon). Anyway, the dancing doesn't start 'til 11PM

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok for all of you who have been waiting for my review of toads place. I went last night to the Y101 Snowball 2007 concert that had paramore,Army of Me and the silversun pickups. All three bands were amazing and I am so glad that I went. Toads Place overall I really liked alot. I met alot of cool people too who were same age as I and close to my age. Toads Place was very large to me since I have never stepped one foot into that building. I also took a peek in Highwater and it looked kinda small to me. I dont really know if I would dine there or not. But the concert was great and I really had a blast. But as I left alot of people were wasted and I tried to keep an eye on my surroundings at all times. You never know if some drunk guy is gonna puke on you or just totally come up to you and say or do something unexpected. So the drunk people freaked me out. Well theres my review.

Good to hear you enjoyed Toads, Joey. But sorry to hear of so many wasted kids. If they were mostly your age, they shouldn't have been drinking anyway (or where they druged out)?

Was there a sold out house?

I think HIGHWATER looks small, too.

Did you learn anything about URBAN FLATS which is supposed to open on the second level overlooking the canal?

Well burt the people that were wasted were people older than me maybe right at 21 or a little older. But for the most part right before I left the house I was listening to Y101 and they said there were 50 tickets left at the door and they said at the show that it was sold out. So im guessing everyone got the last 50 tickets. But I did not hear anyone mention Urban Flats at the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but this is just priceless!

Hahaha. If they want to get wasted, no problem -- as long as they don't get the club in trouble.

I bet a quarter that when URBAN FLATS opens on the second level of Ladybird (Toads), it will be a hot spot -- just as BLACKFINN was when it opened. A crowded upstairs bar overlooking the canal will enhance the allure of Toads.

By the way, how is Blackfinn's doing?

I went to see Cake last niight and had a great show. I really like the one band, King City that was set up on the side of the stage and played between the other bands. Lots of adults on a Sunday night.

I saw Cracker a week or so ago on a Friday night and the crowd was a bit smaller than I expected, but it was awesome, as always. I have seen Cracker probably 15 times and it was the best show ever by them. They played for 3 hours!

Had dinner both times in Highwater and the food was good, but there was a lot of it...too much, since I couldn't carry a doggie bag through out the show after. Maybe they could cut their protions a little and cut the price a bit too.

The waitress (really cute) said they were starting Kareoke and bands and stuff in the restaurant soon and some happy hour specials, too.

Adios!

I went to see Cake last niight and had a great show. I really like the one band, King City that was set up on the side of the stage and played between the other bands. Lots of adults on a Sunday night.

I saw Cracker a week or so ago on a Friday night and the crowd was a bit smaller than I expected, but it was awesome, as always. I have seen Cracker probably 15 times and it was the best show ever by them. They played for 3 hours!

Had dinner both times in Highwater and the food was good, but there was a lot of it...too much, since I couldn't carry a doggie bag through out the show after. Maybe they could cut their protions a little and cut the price a bit too.

The waitress (really cute) said they were starting Kareoke and bands and stuff in the restaurant soon and some happy hour specials, too.

Adios!

MusicFan, did you learn anything about URBAN FLATS? Great to hear your comments about Toads as well as your thumbs up on HIGHWATER's food.

Have you been to any of the Saturday dance nights?

• 4 months later...

The National is getting all the publicity, it seems.

But TOAD'S PLACE RICHMOND'S web site has a lot of acts lined up -- one SOLD OUT -- so hopefully business is doing well. HIGHWATER will begin serving outside along the canal very soon.

There has been no further publicity about URBAN FLATS, the Florida-based restaurant/bar chain that announced last winter it would open a franchise on the second level of the Lady Bird building (over HIGHWATER and Toads). That's a shame if it has opted out, because from the web page, it appeared like the kind of place that would bring a lot of life to the area.

The National is getting all the publicity, it seems.

But TOAD'S PLACE RICHMOND'S web site has a lot of acts lined up -- one SOLD OUT -- so hopefully business is doing well. HIGHWATER will begin serving outside along the canal very soon.

There has been no further publicity about URBAN FLATS, the Florida-based restaurant/bar chain that announced last winter it would open a franchise on the second level of the Lady Bird building (over HIGHWATER and Toads). That's a shame if it has opted out, because from the web page, it appeared like the kind of place that would bring a lot of life to the area.

I went to Urban Flats one weekend night. That place was dead and one of the bouncers was an a-hole. I got the best of him and he did not like it... wah!!! :shades:

I didn't realize Urban Flats was open. Are you referring to Highwater?

That night there was a sign outside saying "Urban Flats" pointing inside. It occupied parts of the first and second floors. If I am wrong, someone please correct me. Can our City Hall "correspondence" tells us if an occupancy permit has been granted?

When we get older, we sometimes start seeing things. :wacko:

Urban Flats is supposed to be a wine bar that serves some other things (e.g., flatbread sandwiches, I think). Highwater is more typical pub fare (though they do bring out biscuits and have and have a broader menu). Highwater is situated on two floors, so that's probably what you're thinking of.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if Urban flats opened up or not, but I sort of doubt it since I haven't heard anything.

I am going to Toad's Thursday to see Devotchka and understand that they now have the ABC license for the canal area.

That is just in time for the good weather and maybe some folks will swing by after Friday Cheers. It seems that this is what we were all looking forward to when Toad's opened - adding some life to the Canal! Unfortunately their late start last year didn't allow them to get ABC at all until Aug or something.

Anyway, I will report back on what I see.

I don't know if Urban flats opened up or not, but I sort of doubt it since I haven't heard anything.

I am going to Toad's Thursday to see Devotchka and understand that they now have the ABC license for the canal area.

That is just in time for the good weather and maybe some folks will swing by after Friday Cheers. It seems that this is what we were all looking forward to when Toad's opened - adding some life to the Canal! Unfortunately their late start last year didn't allow them to get ABC at all until Aug or something.

Anyway, I will report back on what I see.

Another problem last summer for al fresco dining by the canal was that since the club and HIGHWATER were not ready, neither were bathrooms.

I sort of believe the plan to bring in URBAN FLATS has fallen thru. It was to occupy the upper level of the fscility with balconies overlooking the canal. It is a shame that it has not materialized because it would have brought more business to the Canal Walk as well as to Toads Place.

Off topic (sort of), but Venture Richmond should continue its canal boat tours beyond 7PM on weekends. It is far more interesting after dark than in daylight. I took the tours as late as 10PM when they first began. Why have they been discontinued after dark if the aim is to bring some life to the Canal Walk?

And another tidbit about the canal: Possibly -- just possibly -- bateau tours may begin upstream near the Power Plant in Byrd Park one of these days. The canal is sufficently navigable between Byrd Park and Hollywood Cemetary. On old Ethly property, it is just a dry depression in the earth.

Looking forward to your report on Toads, MusicFan. It has been over shaddowed of late by The wonderful National, but I believe Toads is still having the ocassional sell-out.

The Swell Season show at Toad's this coming Saturday night (5/18/08) with Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova is sold out. But. there is a Saturday afternoon concert at the venue called Benedictine School's Brooks Berry Rememberance and Music Festival from 2 to 6PM. Cost $10, but there are FREE CANAL BOAT TOURS during the concert, courtesy of Venture Richmond!!!

The Swell Season show at Toad's this coming Saturday night (5/18/08) with Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova is sold out. But. there is a Saturday afternoon concert at the venue called Benedictine School's Brooks Berry Rememberance and Music Festival from 2 to 6PM. Cost $10, but there are FREE CANAL BOAT TOURS during the concert, courtesy of Venture Richmond!!!

I believe that's a Sunday burt. Too bad they are up against Broad Appetit but hopefully both events do well :)

I believe that's a Sunday burt. Too bad they are up against Broad Appetit but hopefully both events do well :)

You're right, ric75. Thanks for proof reading me :dontknow: . The old brain just doesn't come together anymore. The sold out concert at Toads is tomorrow night (Fri) and the Benedictine festival is Sunday. So the latter WILL conflict with Broad Appetite.

Hope it doesn't rain on any of the festivities.

• 4 weeks later...

I sure would like to know if anything in the restaurant/entertainment line is planned for the second-level space at TOADS PLACE. The building (Lady Bird) is getting more office tenants -- SmithGifford/Spurrier Media Group, for one -- but since announced intentions of URBAN FLATS aren't being fulfilled in that great space with balconies overlooking the canal, what, if anything, is planned?

From a-field, I am amazed at all the music venues I read about in Richmond: Toads, The National, Canal Club, Alley Katz and Capital Ale Music Hall -- all downtown, plus dozens of bars in the Slip, Bottom, the Fan, Carytown and suburbia. Someone told me that Infuzion is going strong which, with its ice bar, must have been a nice chill spot during the recent heat onslaught.

If anybody has info on another restaurant/bar at Toads, please enlighten us. :)

Archived