The Hat Factory

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah we werent guinea pigs for the tester menu. we would have had to pay. but everything else on the menu looked awesome.

Burt, I think the Southern Railway deli is great! the people are friendly, the food is superb, quick service, prices are great, the atmosphere right at busy lunch time is awesome and the selection of beverages and deserts are hard to beat. first time i went there i got the turkey BLT and it was delicious. second time i ordered the pizzza and it was, like the turkey BLT, delicious. i recomend the gelatos.

Although you won't find it on Toad's menu of upcoming attractions, The Richmond Symphony's Genworth Financial Kicked Back Classics has made arrangements with the facility to perform there on the following Thursdays: Oct. 4th; Nov. 1st; Feb 14th, and May 1st. All concerts are at 8PM and are to be repeated in the Science Museum's Pavillion on Sundays following the above dates at 5PM.

It's a smart move on the part of Toad's, IMO. It will expose the club to a more classically inclined clientele who will spread word-of-mouth about the excellence of the facility.

I predict the '08/'09 programs will move over to The Nat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey; River City Rapids has a post about Toad's Shows. Looks like a good weekend. My friend went to buy tickets at plan 9 for tonight (Dropkick Murphys) but Plan 9 was sold out. The cashier said she thought they had some at the door.

Toad's is offering a Money Back Guarantee.

I don't know much about these guys (JJ Grey and MOFRO), but it is very rare that any entertainer gives a money back guarantee. I assume they must be really good.

Did anyone see the Avett Brothers Thursday? Can you give a report?

Burt, why do you think the Symphony will be going to the National? I thought the Kicked back Classics thing was supposed to be a party. Sounds like (from posts here) that Nat is more sedate...seats and all.

The bass player for Secret Sound Machine (a band I'm in) also play bass for a band called 'You Guys are Girls' that is opening for HANSON!! I think this is hilarious and cool and I'm going to try to go and maybe meet Hanson. Heck, maybe I'll try to play with Hanson. I know Mmm Bop. Question... now that they are older and even the youngest one must be in his 20s, do they still sing those high parts?

The bass player for Secret Sound Machine (a band I'm in) also play bass for a band called 'You Guys are Girls' that is opening for HANSON!! I think this is hilarious and cool and I'm going to try to go and maybe meet Hanson. Heck, maybe I'll try to play with Hanson. I know Mmm Bop. Question... now that they are older and even the youngest one must be in his 20s, do they still sing those high parts?

:rofl: McLaw, you sure do know some bands with funny and/or weird names! Maybe it's called "You Guys Are Girls" because they still sing the high parts. :fun:

I don't know what's happened to this forum since I've been away, but I've been laughing all night - first at Joey and his picky eating, then at source being screamed at by one of downtown's strange denizens, and now your band names.

I don't know who Hanson is but believe he's performing while I'm in town. I may drop in with some of my "senior" friends just to balance the youthful crowd and to experience Toads as well.

:rofl: McLaw, you sure do know some bands with funny and/or weird names! Maybe it's called "You Guys Are Girls" because they still sing the high parts. :fun:

I don't know what's happened to this forum since I've been away, but I've been laughing all night - first at Joey and his picky eating, then at source being screamed at by one of downtown's strange denizens, and now your band names.

I don't know who Hanson is but believe he's performing while I'm in town. I may drop in with some of my "senior" friends just to balance the youthful crowd and to experience Toads as well.

I didn't even fully absorb the fact that the opening band "You guys are girls" perfectly describes Hanson in their Heyday.... 3 boys with long hair, singing high parts. Because the youngest two hadn't hit, or were in the middle of puberty, they looked and sounded a lot like girls. The band 'You guys are girls' actually consists of 2 female singer/songwriters, the two males in the band play bass and drums and are certainly capable of growing a beard.

• 2 weeks later...

I just checked back here. Clinton was really good. he actually showed up. The band played almost 4 hours.

Burt, are you going to the RSO event tonight?

No. I live in NYCity and one of my too-infrequent visits to my beloved home town will begin next Tuesday when I fly into RIC on Jet Blue. During my week there, I'm going to try to see Hanson at Toads.

Do you know if the restaurant, Hightower, is up and running, MusicFan? And do you visit the National Theater thread to read what's happening there? Opening of The Nat is anticipated in January.

No. I live in NYCity and one of my too-infrequent visits to my beloved home town will begin next Tuesday when I fly into RIC on Jet Blue. During my week there, I'm going to try to see Hanson at Toads.

Do you know if the restaurant, Hightower, is up and running, MusicFan? And do you visit the National Theater thread to read what's happening there? Opening of The Nat is anticipated in January.

I took a stop by there on the way back from Rockett's and what I believe to be Highwater was looking rather busy with diners.

I took a stop by there on the way back from Rockett's and what I believe to be Highwater was looking rather busy with diners.

Good news, Ice. Were they dining on the actual canal walk under umbrellas as well? I don't believe the balconies on the Lady Bird building are being used. The entrance to Highwater and Toads Place, as far as I can determine, is from the canal walk. Whether or not concert goers can enter from Virginia Street has never been clear to me.

But I'll check it all out in person next week. ;)

Good news, Ice. Were they dining on the actual canal walk under umbrellas as well? I don't believe the balconies on the Lady Bird building are being used. The entrance to Highwater and Toads Place, as far as I can determine, is from the canal walk. Whether or not concert goers can enter from Virginia Street has never been clear to me.

But I'll check it all out in person next week. ;)

I did not see any of the exterior being used for dining. The upstairs is still empty and I do not see any space provided for a kitchen, so I do not foresee any restaurants moving up there. There does appear to be another unused unit on the SW corner (facing the canal) on the bottom floor, also. I was glad to see the minature canal lock display running (normally it is as dry as our city's fountains).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got a grand tour of TOADS PLACE! A HIGHWATER bartender named Josh (whose sister heads up the band known to McLaw as "You Guys Are Girls") listened to my tale of woe about Ken Navarro's cancellation and took me throughout the building as a consolation prize.

The floor is neat and looks like water. They were trying out the light plot for Hanson opening the next night and I saw all the instruments and lamps doing their thing. The skyboxes (three) have sofas, chairs and mini bars and a clear view of the stage, which is larger than I expected. Backstage, there are comfortable, if rather plain, dressing rooms.

PS: I did not eat at HIGHWATER. It looks rather small to me and not terribly attractive.

Josh said that another restaurant is planned on the upper levels with the balconies, but that it and the outdoor dining extension of HIGHWATER on the canal will not occur until next summer.

Toads has lots of pictures up on its site of bands performing there. The lighting impresses me as does the size of the crowds...and not to mention GWAR's costumes!

http://www.toadsplacerva.com

They have dancing on Saturday nights -- the next dance is after the Ricky Skaggs concert on November 3rd, although I may have missed seeing one scheduled for this coming Saturday.

The dances are for crowds 18 and over. Sure do hope they don't run into any underage drinking problems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know the date for opening of URBAN FLATS, the new restaurant that has been announced for Lady Bird (Toads)?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived