Transit 2020

quente

So I had a brief conversation last night with someone, and I hear though things from Transit 2020 have been eerily quiet of late, the mayor is still intent on seeing rails in the ground for a streetcar line by sometime in 2010 (rails put in the ground, may be a while before they are ready for trains, but basically break ground on the first line by sometime in 2010). There is discussion on routes, I have no clue where funding is expected to come from. There is federal money, but that needs to have some match from the state, and maybe some of you have heard some crazy talk about our state's budget lately.

But when I have time to have a longer conversation, I'll update.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I had a brief conversation last night with someone, and I hear though things from Transit 2020 have been eerily quiet of late, the mayor is still intent on seeing rails in the ground for a streetcar line by sometime in 2010 (rails put in the ground, may be a while before they are ready for trains, but basically break ground on the first line by sometime in 2010). There is discussion on routes, I have no clue where funding is expected to come from. There is federal money, but that needs to have some match from the state, and maybe some of you have heard some crazy talk about our state's budget lately.

I would consider myself one the biggest mass-transit backers around (I just love rail, schedules, intermodal connectivity, etc.), but I have to admit that the current fiscal issues the State is having will probably kill any sliver of hope for street cars for a while. I'd like to see some use of exisitng trackage and ROW's to get more people using transit to get in/out of Providence (which might reduce the stress on some RIPTA routes and maybe outright eliminate some of the longer park-n-ride routes). There are several ROWs that ru through Cranston, Warwick, West Warwick, Johston, etc. that could be looked at for BRT or light rail. Commuter rail from Woonsocket to Providence on the existing P&W ROW would be my first priority. At that point, mass-transit options from Woonsocket, Cumberland, Warwick and Wickford would be available. Most of the money (the exception being studies & planning) the city might use for street cars in the next 2 years is better used to keep tax rates at bay and the budget in the black. After that, it might be time to get serious about street cars.

just my 2 cents

• 1 month later...

Its an intersting debate; gas prices and public trans.. I don't think PVD needs more trans due to gridlock, but a gas price induced increase of service is something that certainly could prove possible.. We are very reactive, Zappa and Plato had it right with the necessity and the mothers.. Could gas prices be the catalyst that a lack of gridlock most certainly isn't? I think so..

Its an intersting debate; gas prices and public trans.. I don't think PVD needs more trans due to gridlock, but a gas price induced increase of service is something that certainly could prove possible.. We are very reactive, Zappa and Plato had it right with the necessity and the mothers.. Could gas prices be the catalyst that a lack of gridlock most certainly isn't? I think so..

"necessity is the mother of invention" Plato.. Frank Zappa's band Mothers of Invention..

I think the gridlock thing was misinterpreted.. Basically what I mean is, we do not have gridlock low in PVD.. Therefore, it is not neccesary for public transportation improvements.. If we did have gridlock, there would be the necessity for more transit..

I think that gas prices could prove to be that necessity possibly... Because we do not act, we react, generally..

This is real good discussion; and I dig the complete understanding by you of the rotating asset bubble, and yes commodities are next.. fry when you get a second google/wiki Hubbart Peak, interesting stuff and semi related.. Regarding the public reaction, there will be griping and hate, followed by retrospection, then acceptance of the new, lower quality of life..

Thats what a perpetual asset bubble does, it constantly erodes QOL.. So everyone will b@tch about it, do nothing, then talk about "back in the day", then accept the new rules of transportation..

The imperial thing fascinates me.. One would love to believe that we would not take foss fuel by war and destruction.. And I would love to believe that the US would become self sufficient and ween off foss fuel like Germany is making strides to do..

Playing to the locked up scientist theory, I think we have the means to get off fossil fuels, or at the very least the unrefined base of the means.. But there's no necessity, yet.. Combine that with the powers that be are in crony bed with big oil, there's literally no chance other than an imperial outcome.. Its depressing, especially being a borderline isolationist..

Archived