Triangle in the national media

There was a story last night on the CBS Evening News (w/Katie Couric) about how the City of Raleigh has fined a car dealership on Capital Blvd, for having five American flags on their storefront. Apparently Raleigh only allows three American flags, but the dealership owner says he will not comply with the regulations because he is simply being patriotic.

A memorable shot they took was all eight lanes of Capital, which were obviously full of traffic. It was pretty ugly :sick: .

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the broadcast this morning on television, and must say that I was very impressed with how Raleigh, and NC overall were displayed. The crowd was awesome and represented the city well. It helps to show the various sides of Raleigh that most non-locals never get a chance to see.

I didn't get to see it. Did they end up focusing on the Food & Wine piece on restaurants in the area? (F&W is part of this CBS Early Show roadshow.) Interestingly, two-thirds of the establishments chosen for the magazine were in Durham/CH, not Raleigh. Wasn't sure if they'd broadcast that news from Fayetteville Street... :)

I didn't get to see it. Did they end up focusing on the Food & Wine piece on restaurants in the area? (F&W is part of this CBS Early Show roadshow.) Interestingly, two-thirds of the establishments chosen for the magazine were in Durham/CH, not Raleigh. Wasn't sure if they'd broadcast that news from Fayetteville Street... :)

I wasn't paying to close attention to the Food&Wine stuff, but they did feature a meal being prepared by Angus Barn chef Walter Royal.

• 4 weeks later...

America's Fastest Growing Suburbs

18 Holly Springs North Carolina 10,017 17,425 74.0%

20 Wake Forest North Carolina 13,080 22,651 73.2%

63 Apex North Carolina 21,042 30,208 43.6%

I came across this article and noticed three Wake County suburbs among the fastest growing in the nation. I guess it's no surprise but it's still pretty impressive for our county.

• 4 months later...

I just got an email from an old friend of mine telling me that This American Life (NPR) has a good story mentioning Boylan Heights. I haven't had a chance to listen to it, but will tonight. The url is http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1211 for a replay.

It originally aired in 1998, and Boylan Heights was still "transitioning" then.

The episode reaired a couple of months ago (October 19th) so I doubt it will be aired as tonight's show -- This American Life airs on Fridays at 8 PM on WUNC 91.5. But the program is available on the web all the time. I've listened to this and other shows that way several times.

The Boylan Heights "maps" mentioned in the story are available on Flickr and are pretty neat. I remember hearing about the "pumpkin" map on the show and then looking at the map on line later.

• 2 weeks later...

The Triangle's housing market made the national media...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j_uBcFC...-dt7SQD8TNVDD00

The expansion of foreign real estate investment in the U.S. also means that areas that once were not popular with international buyers are now receiving interest. Doug Aitkin, who works for North Carolina's World Trade Center, said the Research Triangle area

The Triangle's housing market made the national media...

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j_uBcFC...-dt7SQD8TNVDD00

Volkers' firm is eager to take advantage of this opportunity. Engel & Volkers, which caters to wealthy clients, plans to open 300 residential sales offices across the U.S. in the next few years. So far, it has offices in Florida, Connecticut and two in New York. The company said it is on track to open 30 more locations on the East Coast by the end of 2008.

Similarly, Charlie Jefferson, a Philadelphia developer, was surprised when two units in a new development in the University City area, home to the University of Pennsylvania, were purchased by foreign students.

Interesting stuff. The article points to a couple of items of special interest to the Triangle even beyond the mention by name. First, that the German real estate firm is planning to locate along the east coast... I would venture that this area gets at least one of those. Second, is the increasing numbers of foreign students who may be able to purchase a home for college, drawn here to Duke, NCSU and UNC, and enabled by the low dollar compared to the pound and euro. I would imagine some of these potential buyers will want to buy in the downtowns. :)

• 2 weeks later...

America's Most Wired Cities

1) Atlanta

2) Seattle

3) Raleigh

From the article:

Other top-10 finishers were more surprising, such as third-place Raleigh, N.C. Raleigh Chief Information Officer Gail M. Roper attributes the city's strong showing to its thriving entrepreneurial culture, technology initiatives, major universities and fast-growing, highly-educated population. As CIO of Kansas City (No. 22) from 1996 to 2006, Roper focused on digital-divide issues, working to improve youth and student access to the Internet. In Raleigh, she is considering building a citywide wi-fi network to expedite public services, cut telecom costs and deliver tourism information.

I guess this makes sense because of the RTP presence. Charlotte also comes in at #7. With that, NC represents well over some of the larger cities, LA, Boston, NY, Chicago are all ranked lower.

There is/was some free WiFi in the F Street corridor, but it was distrupted during the construction a year or so ago. I don't know if that was a city project, downtown Raleigh Alliance, the convention center, or someone else. I walked down F Street with my Palm TX a year or so ago and picked up a seemingly free, shared wifi in a few places, but didn't have it long enough to get yahoo to display properly. It might have been powered down too, since it was around 7-8 pm. I picked up a few offices' networks, but didn't try any of them to see if they were secured.

There are/were several places that offer free wifi to customers, including Port City Java, maybe Crema, F Street Tavern, and Cafe Carolina.

• 1 month later...

Raleigh and Charlotte made another top ten list. Raleigh is one of a few markets that is considered a stable market due to above average job growth. So while the markets has turned just about everywhere it seems NC two largest have weathered the storm better than the rest of the country. Kudos again to Raleigh...there was nice skyline shot showing RBC rising.