Statesboro Development News

andremurra

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody noticed the coming soon sign by Sea Island Bank on Lovett Road?

I saw it tonight, and from what I saw, it was Charley's. I've never heard of it, so I came home and googled it and came up with a fast food philly style steak and chicken subs. Anyway, so that's what I saw.

I've noticed it earlier, but I really like how they've made a separate building for the new rooms at the Comfort Inn. I don't know why, but I like it.

Has anybody noticed the coming soon sign by Sea Island Bank on Lovett Road?

I saw it tonight, and from what I saw, it was Charley's. I've never heard of it, so I came home and googled it and came up with a fast food philly style steak and chicken subs. Anyway, so that's what I saw.

I've noticed it earlier, but I really like how they've made a separate building for the new rooms at the Comfort Inn. I don't know why, but I like it.

Brannen Street seemed like a better place for me to put it. It's slow now, but give it a few more years. Bringing Starbucks back there would probably speed it up some.

Anyway, between these two projects, at least we know development isn't slowing down around there.

I'm still waiting for some news about Brannen Crossing. I'm feeling any day now..:whistling:

Apparently the Census calculated the population of the two cities and the adjacent densely settled territory as having at least 50,000 people, generally with an overall population density of at least 1,000 people per square mile to come up with a total population of at least 50,000.

In your numbers you are only talking about the population of the cities themselves. The census includes areas adjacent...or outside the city limits...that has a density of at least 1,000 people per square mile.

So with those numbers we are talking about a shortage of 8,403 persons. The surrounding densely populated area must add at least 8,403 person for Hinesville/Ft Stewart to meet the requirement,

Edited by andremurra

So, here's an interesting perspective on the "residential boom" going on.

Through October 2006 compared to October 2005

- building permits obtained increased by 22 percent, totaling nearly 600. Exceeding the record set in 2004 with 565 obtained.

- home sales up 22 percent

- sales up 66 percent in the $200,000 through $300,000 price range

- sales up 87.5 percent in the $300,000+ price range

With the largely increased sales in the $300,000+ sales range (and the 200K - 300K), it makes me wonder what our per capita income, median income, etc. would be if we had the Centennial Park project up and running (such as what andremurra stated earlier).

Obviously, these are some impressive numbers. It will be interesting to see what 2007 has in store for us.

Here's the link to the complete article: http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/1290/

Agricultural Arena Coming Soon

Construction should begin next fall on the Bulloch County Agricultural Arena. Located on Langston Chapel road next to the Bulloch County Agricultural Center, the next three to four months will be for site engineering. By spring, there should be a good idea of what it will look like. Most of this should be paid by part of the funds collected by SPLOST. Hopefully this should be completed within two years.

Read the more in-depth article: http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/1289/

Agricultural Arena Coming Soon

Construction should begin next fall on the Bulloch County Agricultural Arena. Located on Langston Chapel road next to the Bulloch County Agricultural Center, the next three to four months will be for site engineering. By spring, there should be a good idea of what it will look like. Most of this should be paid by part of the funds collected by SPLOST. Hopefully this should be completed within two years.

Read the more in-depth article: http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/1289/

Edited by andremurra

City Council voted on some issues today.

They approved the parking variance for the mall, to allow for the loss in parking created by the coming Starbucks.

Denied a parking variance for University Plaza to locate a sandwhich shop there.

Approved the annexation and rezoning to R-15 for the two parcels off Cawana Road, with the condition that the minimum home size be 1750 square feet heated.

I disagree about the city being pro slow growth/ anti growth. Look at all the development the city has approved recently from commercial, multifamily, and single family residential.

I agree Statesboro should leave agriculture behind. Not forgetting though that's what Statesboro used to be about. That's what gives it it's rich history. Seeing what it used to be, what it is now, and what it's headed to. The economy isn't like what it was 100 years ago. It doesn't have to depend on agriculture alone now.

I do hope they can preserve some of the smaller towns, such as Nevils, Register, Stilson, etc. That's where a LOT of history lives. People like to move here because Bulloch County has the "country" feel to it. The last thing we want to do is to remove one of our "people getters".

The city leaders are going to approve things that bring in higher revenues if those things dont threaten their own personal agendas. But Im talking about the big picture here - restricting buildings higher than 35 feet, investing in the demands of our future economy such as commerce rather in our former economy (agriculture), building new high schools that are barely going to serve our current student enrollments rather than building to accomodate at least the next decade of enrollment, all the freaking alcohol ordinances, capitalizing on the university students while discouraging them to be politically involved, etc.

I just feel that the community is not acting in a competitive manner. Statesboro's leadership seem to be trying to compete with other 3rd Tier cities when we should be trying to compete with 2nd Tier cities. Raising our own standards to compete with 2nd Tier cities is the best way to plan for future growth in my opinion. We already have the infrastructure in education, recreation, and medicine to compete with the larger cities. I feel that our planning codes and city ordinances need to move forward with the rest of us. Im not referring to all of our leaders, but the ones that seem to be holding us back. It seems though, that over the past 2-3 years, our leadership has been changing a bit, and hopefully the pro-growth attitude will follow. I agree with what Im saying because my family has been here for over sixty years and Im aware of what most everyone else who has has been here a while feels and the general consensus is anti-growth. The newer residents are bringing newer ideas and attitudes and hopefully all that will change.

Edited by andremurra

I've seen these posted on a lot of the major forums, so I thought I would start one too.

For 2007, what do you want to see happen in Statesboro?

- More retail to enter the market. A few new big box retailers, such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Borders, etc. Even some clothing stores.

- More restaurants to enter the market. We need some more restaurants, at least others than franchises. While the franchises are good, we need some national chains.

- Announcement of second Wal-Mart Supercenter. Ours is way too crowded. All these rumors. Maybe one of them will be true.

- Downtown ressurection to continue. Lots of great strides have been made over the past few years for this to happen (ex. Averitt Arts Center and Emma Kelly Theatre). Hopefully we can get Phase I and II of the Streetscape Plan in this year. I'd like to see some more condo projects being done, renovation of older buildings into lofts and retail, etc.

- South Main Street keep striving with new developments. South Main Street, as some call the "unofficial gateway to downtown", was hot in 2006 with new developments. From the Tillman Park condo/townhome community, to Midtown shopping center, and to the soon-to-be-renovated Holiday Inn/Ramada Inn/Guest Inn (to be rebadged as Quality Inn and Suites). I'd like to see the demolition of the older motels and buildings and be replaced with more townhome/condo projects, a upscale hotel (or two), and some more commercial projects. It'd be nice to give this stretch of road an "upscale" look.

- Construction to begin on Veterans Memorial Parkway. One of the most traveled and crowded roads. Plans are to widen it to 4 lanes (Was in original plans, but due to lack of money and low population at the time, only 2 lanes were constructed back in 1994. One section was 4 laned back in 2004. Completion date for the next section is March 31, 2008.).

- Completion of Savannah Avenue/Northside Drive realignment. The intersection is being reconstructed and a traffic light is being added. While it's not something I'm not really too concerned about this project, I would like to see it be finished.

This is my small list, I might add more later. What all would you like to see happen in 2007?

Edited by MorganA15

Morgan, I get the feeling some of your wishes will come true.

I've heard the rumblings about some big box retailers coming to town for the last few months, but apparently no one has signed a contract yet. Hopefully 2007 will be the year.

If one or two big boxes come, that will be the impetus for some of the national restaurant chains to come.

Instead of wishing for a second Wal-Mart, let's be bold and wish for a Target. We have the income in this area to support one, it would be proof to other retailers that we are "moving up in the world", and we deserve something better than a second Wal-Mart.

Statesboro's downtown has impressed me since I first came. It is certainly healthier than most. I'm worried the city government and downtown association aren't concerned about historic preservation. The downtown association seems more interested in business attraction and retention along with overall promotion, which are very important, than preservation and appropriate renovations of the historic buildings.

The South Main/Highway 301 gateway needs a lot of work -- from I-16 to downtown. For the most part, it is not an attractive entry for visitors. I'm afraid the county and the city are many years away from meaningful aesthetic and landscaping regulations.

I don't know why construction hasn't started on the bypass. I guess the contractor feels it can be done in less time than GDOT gave him. I'm not sure that the two additional lanes are really justified 80% of the average day, but it will certainly help during that other 20%. Also, it will be another sign to visitors of the amount of activity in Statesboro.

The Savannah Avenue project seems to be moving slowly, but I know there was a lot of underground work (drainage pipes I think) that had to be done first. That appears to be finished and the remainder of the work should appear to move much more quickly.

Other things to add to the list? First of all, recognition that not all new growth and development is good (or bad). We need to have some controls to insure quality growth, like aesthetic and landscaping regulations.

Second, even though it is not an election year, the city and county both need more progressive leadership. And it needs to be from people who are not one- or two-issue politicians. The county seems to waste a lot of time debating growth issues every month. It shouldn't be that difficult. The city has wasted a lot of time debating alcohol rules and making changes. Some of my criticism of leadership can go to the staffs as well. There are a few in various departments that are trying to move their personal agendas at the expense of the city or county as a whole. It does have a negative effect on the growth and development of Statesboro and Bulloch County.

I think the Walmart property is not a supercenter but a Walmart Neighborhood Market and a Sam's Club. I dont care much for a Sam's Club, but having a WNM is a good thing because it recognizes that Statesboro is no longer a general intersection of roads, but a city now with many neighborhoods and smaller markets within itself. I think one of the most important things that needs to happen to Statesboro before it "arrives" is that we start recognizing neighborhoods and smaller markets in and around Statesboro and even mapping them out and building community pride in our "hoods".

So, I wanted to share some information, and to see if anybody could help figure some out.

I came across this website today ( http://www.whatsthebigidea.us/ ), which explains that the DOT is having to delay some projects due to lack of funding (you can read about it there).

Well, if you go to Find Project Funding Status, put Bulloch in the county box, and All Projects in the project status box, you can see all of the road projects that's going on. From the way I see it, I assume that the "phase II" of the bypass is still in order, and the contractors are just going slow. There are two other items for the bypass. I see the buying the right of way for the final leg will happen in 2011. One thing I don't understand. Does anybody know what this is?

STATESBORO N. BYPASS FROM SR 26/US 80 EAST TO SR 73/US 301
Edited by MorganA15

Thanks for the definitions and all but that doesnt answer my question.

Hinesville/Fort Stewart is not an urbanized area of 50,000+. It has over 50,000 in the county as does Bulloch, but the Census 2000 population figures of Hinesville city (30,392) plus Fort Stewart's 11,205 base residents only add to 41,597. I will say though, that Hinesville's 16.9 mi