>> Providence West Neighborhoods

Cotuit

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got back from the grand opening of the new Price Rite - It is FANTASTIC. They have a much much wider selection than the old store, with the same prices. This is a "Price Rite Marketplace" so it doesnt have the standard layout. They have a Cafe Bustelo cafe in the store, as well as a full deli that is CRAZY cheap (Like all the lunch meat is around $3 a lb), rotisserie chickens, a seafood department, full meat department, and more ethnic items than any store around. There is a full Goya aisle, a full italian aisle, and the produce department is really amazing. I was super impressed - It is exactly what the neighborhood needs and nothing it doesnt. I was so bummed about the loss of Shaws, but I would prefer this store over shaws anyday.

YES YES YES!!! The update is that they are planning on breaking ground in a matter of weeks, so our crunchy hippy shopping options will increase manifold within the year.

I have bought *my* share in the co-op already- Have YOU?? (Not you, Jen who is now in North Virginia, the rest of you.) The more shares they sell, and the sooner, the more capitol they will have available to open the doors. Play your part in making the neighborhood more walkable & full service!

It's on Wesminster across from the WBNA headquarters. Currently there is a vacant garage on the lot. The final plan includes subsidized housing above the storefront. There are renders in the projects threads somewhere. Its a nice looking building.

Yesterday however ya'all missed the live Mariachi band playing in the goya aisle, the dude with a mic yelling about coldcuts in spanish, and the ladies from Tropical Foods handing out cheese samples. They also had samples of the fresh mozzarella that they make in house and it was tremendously tasty. The whole thing was very amusing.

It's on Wesminster across from the WBNA headquarters. Currently there is a vacant garage on the lot. The final plan includes subsidized housing above the storefront. There are renders in the projects threads somewhere. Its a nice looking building.

So I tried to go to the new Price-Rite last night after work.. Only the entire lot was filled, there were no free spaces, people were all over the place.. I was thinking WOW.. This is incredible!! Is this place a better anchor than Shaws was??

It was so busy that I decided I didnt want to rub elbows with that many people, as I hate lines and traffic.. See prior post about "moo-ing" out loud upon arriving to Boston while people mope in front of me walking at a geriatric pace exiting the MBTA train.. This either generated chuckles or dagger-eyes from people, no in between..

So I just left, unhappy I didn't get to get some staples, but nonetheless very happy that this store is the perfect fit for the hood..

Then I realized... It is 4/2/08.. And everyone just got their WIC and food stamps, and fell into a dark place realizing that almost the entire city population is on assistance.. And we pay for it...

I had been out of town since Saturday and just got back last night. I was driving by Eagle Square and noticed that the parking lot at the new PriceRite was packed! I mean full to capacity. Wow! I have never seen that much activity at Eagle Square. :o

I went home for a while and then decided to go down and check it out. Inside was just as busy as outside. Evidently PriceRite is a better fit for the neighborhood and it is nice to see so much activity at Eagle Square. You could absolutly call it vibrant. It will probably never be my regular market but other than that it seems to be a good thing for the area.

I hope they are as concerned about keeping shopping carts under control and the parking lot clean as they are about security. I noticed that they closed the right side entrance and had lots of guys in uniform keeping an eye on things. Much less so than at Shaws. Shaws usually had one cop working a paid detail in the evening.

Archived