Anderson County permenantly suspending blue laws

GSP Tiger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^That's why I'm glad York County voted to suspend the blue laws and allow alcohol sales on Sunday. For one, it let York County dollars stay in York County. Secondly, we were more in line with the rest of the region. When you're part of a large, growing metro area, the smaller areas need to jump on board so the entire metro area can prosper.

And yes, interestedexpat, you are prophetic. :)

As a Christian, I am embarrassed by Mr. Wilson's comments. I totally disagree with his stance and interpretation of "observing the Sabbath." And even if I did agree with his misinformed views, I would STILL support the government in realizing that they should not force everyone else to agree. For his stance and voting history, Mr. Wilson should be forced to travel exclusively in a horse and buggy. :lol:

It amuses me elected servants are wasting their power and enforcing their occultisms when they had everything settled that would progress the entire county and everyone else forward in the right direction.

It may take more than another county council vote to eternally resolve this matter. Leave it for the judicial system to rule in favor of businesses having the right extending their operating hours on Sundays.

• 2 weeks later...

Link: Blue Laws Come Up Again For Anderson Council

WYFF 4 (NBC; Greenville, South Carolina)

Anderson County Council will again face the idea permanantly repealing "blue laws" at their upcoming meeting.

Hopefully some council members have rethought their stances that moving backwards worsens the situation.

Some council members said they won't change their mind about Sunday shopping.

"I'm representing my district exactly as they want me to," says Ron Wilson.

Waldrep is the one who will flip. I think he's trying to find a way to do that without flipping, but ultimately I think he realizes that it's flip or die. He represents a very commercial area and people were really angry.

You Powdersville folks need to get Ron W. on the phone or flood his email box. I agree that Powdersville should be a bastion of progressive thinking in Anderson. It ought to be right there with the city of Anderson in terms of leading the county out of the dark ages. However, Ron W. is the least progressive politician possible. Probably voter apathy allowed him to be elected. It's time for you Powdersville folks to tell him how to vote or take back your district in the next election. Preferably both. :whistling:

I should not forget to mention Cindy Wilson and Larry Greer. They represent areas in dire need of retailers from a basic supermarket (Iva and Starr) to a discount deparment store (Pelzer, Williamston, and/or Belton). Minicupalities in their districts have made it clear they do not want blue laws. Wilson and Greer's embarrasements to their districts are readily known. Voting against to repeal the blue lawas again will kill their future on county council.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on what I'm reading and hearing - the blue laws are coming down again. I don't know exactly how it will happen, but it sounds like the council is sure they have a majority in place to get them removed again. It's on their agenda Tuesday. Look for more embarrassing quotes from Ron and Cindy Wilson.

Actually there is a win/win solution that I hope they'll consider. Keep the Blue laws in effect in the county but provide exceptions for municipalities that want them removed. This way the rural folks in unincorporated areas who don't want stores open get their way. City folks who do want stores open get their way. AND... this the important thing - it would probably inspire more development within city limits and less in the rural areas. That's almost sounding like a plan for smart managed growth! :whistling: Is it possible that Anderson could end up with a more progressive policy than our neighbors? By accident of course.

My wife and I visited the brand new Wal-mart in Manning for the first time this Sunday and were dumbstrucked to see that over half of the store was closed until 1:30 pm. Neither of us had ever heard of anything like this before in our lives. Needless to say, we won't be visiting Manning or Clarendon County again on Sundays to go shopping. :blink:

My understanding is it will take two more readings to make this official, but it looks like the Council majority is clear. Very interesting. The best "Christian" perspective on it that I've read comes from the pastor of NewSpring Church.

It might surprise you to learn that Perry Noble, the senior pastor at NewSpring supported the abolition of the Blue Laws. Read about it here.

What makes this interesting is that NewSpring is a really big church 7,000 members. It's by far the largest church in the County. Probably the largest church in the State. Do Perry's views (or his leadership) say anything about the religious 'silent' majority in Anderson who are more reasonable than the 18th Century right? :wacko: Maybe that wasn't fair.

Anyway, NewSpring is interesting all on it's own. It get Anderson national exposure. This church is hosting a pastor's conference in a few weeks that will literally have people from all over the USA in Anderson. I wouldn't be surprised if it draws people from Europe and Australia as well. Kind of an interesting phenomena.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived