RDU International Airport

Rufus

RDU adds non-stop service to Denver.

RDU to Denver

I saw this. The one thing they don't mention (or I dont think they mention) is United had a non-stop to Denver not so long ago that was a small jet and was once a day. It stopped when United had some trouble. (I think) I do like the idea of San Fran direct flight but a better choice might be San Jose. (although they are so close) I wonder and could be wrong if they are trying to establish this flight to pre-empt Frontier from coming in here with their hub in Denver.

I think Frontier would add a new twist to flying to the west. As adding flights with Spirit Airlines to South Florida and all the islands.

Actually United is bring back this flight on mainline. It'll be flown with a Boeing 735. Its nice to see United back with mainline but this will be the only flight they use mainline on. As long as United Express workers that were once United workers before 9/11 are still at RDU United will only be allowed one mainline flight to RDU. Personally I think United picked the right route to use their one plane on.

On another note American's service to STL will be upgraded this summer from 3 ERJs right now to 2 MD-80s and I believe 1 ERJ. This is really good news to hear.

What do y'all think the chances are that an airline such as jetBlue will eventually make RDU into one of their mini-hubs or "key cities" as they title them on their website. When I I've looked at their map of destinations, the closest "key cities" are Washington DC, NYC, and Ft. Lauderdale.

I'm not sure how full the flights jetBlue offers from RDU to JFK are daily, but they did add the flight to BOS fairly quickly after setting up here, where as, their service in Charlotte only goes to JFK. I did read somewhere recently that the CLT to JFK service had been upgraded to an A320 rather than the current E190, but everytime I look online I always see an E190 servicing CLT and not an A320 that I read about.

jetBlue offers great destinations at great prices and I'd really like to see them add more service out of RDU to many of their other locations rather than having to fly to JFK first and then to where I planned to go. Considering how CLT is already a US Airways hub, I'd like to think that RDU has a better chance at becoming a "Key City" over CLT. I'd also like to think that with the new Terminal C opening it would give RDU room to host a such service.

Any thoughts?

[link]http://www.jetblue.com/wherewefly/[/link]

I hate to say it but RDU's hub-like days are over for right now. The closest thing is American which depending on the date will sometimes consider RDU a focus city, not as much a mini-hub. I'm going to actually say that CLT would be more likely to have Jetblue make a major move because if the proposed US Airways and Delta merger were to actually happen, CLT would take a significant fall with ATL being so close. This has already been said by US Airways CEO. If that happened Jetblue would be able to take over CLT before any other of the low cost carriers. I still don't see this being very likely, but more so than RDU becoming a minihub.

RDUairport: Just curious, do you work for the RDU Airport Authority or at RDU in some way?

Even if jetBlue where to take a major hold on CLT over RDU, how likely would you think that the chances are that RDU would be able to pick up some of the other destinations they offer. For example, I'd love to see them add flights to some of their Florida airports such as Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale. As well, a direct Las Vegas flight would be nice. Maybe its my optomistic mind, but I feel like they must have some kind of interest in RDU to add a direct flight to BOS only 4 months after they began service here. Afterall, they started service to CLT before RDU and CLT only has service to JFK. Like I said, I like to remain optomistic.

I recently sent them an email asking if they would increase their destinations from RDU in the future, but was given a somewhat vague response basically saying they do not recieve advanced notice of when flights and times are added.

Edited by Redman84

Redman84, No actually I don't work at the airport but I'm a huge aviation buff for years, so I hear a lot of things. New York and Boston are two of the biggest markets out of RDU, and most flights to these cities are on regional jets which operate on sorta an hourly basis like a shuttle. Jetblue bringing in the larger ERJ-190 probably felt that these to cities would show the most sucess. I've also heard rumors about Jetblue introducing MCO (Orlando) from RDU. This may happen but I wouldn't get your hopes up high until Jetblue is the one to say so. I don't see Las Vegas on Jetblue's list of destinations only because they tend to work from there main stations and neither Las Vegas or RDU are one. Also with Southwest operating a LAS-RDU flight that would put them in direct competition with Southwest, which Jetblue seems to try to avoid. I don't want to speculate what would occur if US Airways/Delta reduced CLT opening it up for Jetblue only because I honestly don't know if Jetblue would make a move. (I don't like to start the rumors myself :)) Hope this helps a bit.

Isn't the hub model kind of outdated anyway? I like RDU's model of attracting as many low fare carriers as possible.

Nope, it is alive and well. The majors have been beefing up their hubs lately, adding flights and capacity.

Even Southwest, who doesn't call its key airports "hubs" really does in fact have some hubs. Most notably Phoenix and Las Vegas. There is considerable connecting traffic on Southwest flying through those airports.

Low fare carriers are nice...but they can only carry you so far. Especially if you want to fly internationally, you are flat out of luck if you are depending on law fare carriers.

Even Southwest, who doesn't call its key airports "hubs" really does in fact have some hubs. Most notably Phoenix and Las Vegas. There is considerable connecting traffic on Southwest flying through those airports

Don't forget Baltimore. Southwest practically owns BWI. Fly anywhere on southwest from RDU and you're almost certain to go through there. Damn nice terminal... spacious, bright, brand new, and convenient to boot. On weekdays, this is the best way to fly into DC because of the MARC connection (Reagan always seems expensive) and it's always the best way to fly to Baltimore :)

As I said, I just got back from LA and I flew into/out of Terminal A... how out of date is that terminal? It's kind of embarrasing how old it is. I know we've discussed it here before, but are there any plans for updating it? It does seem all the attention is going to Terminal C. And I wish they would go ahead and rename them A & B so it actually makes sense.

Terminal A is at least carpeted. I just got back from Toronto this week through Terminal C - now *that* is embarrassing! Like Terminal A, it's a hike from the last gate to baggage claim, but it sure seems like a lot of vendor holes in Terminal C and stretches of no activity except for just after the security checkpoint and then again at the gates furthest from the entry.

The new terminal C does look like it's taking shape - curved roofs - maybe most of the steel is in place and it should be under roof in the near future.

I just returned from a trip to Seattle, and this is the first time I've flown on Northwest out of RDU. Man... Terminal A at RDU is embarrassing, especially the far side of the terminal where Northwest is. And the really crappy part is the lack of any people movers and the presence of those hills/ramps.

The Northwest terminal in Detroit is absolutely fantastic. It's efficient, modern, and very pretty. Thanks to the elevated tram, you can make a 10 minute connection even if your gates are on opposite sides of the terminal. I can't say the same for the rest of DTW though :D

SeaTac was nothing to write home about, but I think even it is more impressive than RDU.

On the way back I had to connect in Minneapolis. I'd probably have to rank that airport 2nd behind RDU for inefficient and completely uninspiring design--and there were waaay too few people movers for such a long linear terminal.

It's a shame to think that Terminal A at RDU may not be rebuilt for a long time, but I really hope some nifty upgrades are in the queue for the short term.

As an airport, RDU has a pretty significant "rinky-dink" feel in my opinion. Maybe Terminal C will change that.

• 2 weeks later...

How is this project not going to be finished until 2009? Won't portions of the new terminal C be open in the next year? It seems like they are progressing rather smoothly out there with whatever building that they are working on. They need to push the button on this project with the current state of Terminal A. It is an eyesore.

ExpressJet will have six nonstop destinations from RDU. They will be:

Kansas City

San Antonio

New Orleans

Jacksonville

Louisville

Birmingham

ExpressJet is supposed to announce all of there new services at a press conference on Monday.

Route Map

That is great news. Hopefully ExpressJet's strategy of flying to cities that have no direct flights, thus no competition, from RDU will be successful. It's very exciting for RDU to add 6 new non-stop destinations.

WOW.... I'm a little skeptical on some of these routes. San Antonio, Jacksonville, Louisville, Birmingham are all sorta risky in my opinion. Note I'm not saying they can't be done because I'm sure with the right setup they can and I hope this is the case but I'm nervous this will be another move like Independence. There structure isn't the same but some critical aspect such as equipment being used is. That being said I welcome the new service with open arms and wish them the best of luck!! :thumbsup: (sorry if this post came off sounding negative... just expressing some thoughts..) :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

More direct flights to KC, Jax, Louisville added by American/American Eagle. Is there something going on in these cities that there seems to be redundancy with ExpressJet? I know KC has a Quintiles operation so that would make sense. It kind of seems like a slimy move by American to prevent a competitor from entering this market.

N&O Story

Edited by DanRNC