RDU International Airport

Rufus

Anybody have an experiences with Spirit? With them expanding in RDU I have found some of their future flights to be a good bit cheaper. I know they are a cut rate budget airline but are they that bad? Better than Allegiant? Below Southwest? Same as Frontier? What do you think?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

rdu-map-may-2021-1024x575.jpg

United is starting non stop service from RDU to San Francisco which is needed of course.

RDU's CEO: Apple, Google, other tech growth will boost Triangle travel recovery | WRAL TechWire

(they need to move the plane down further south  in Airzona as they have their nonstop landing in the Grand Canyon NP)

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

RDU gains a new direct European destination: Iceland! Starting May 12th from Icelandair!  Very reasonable prices and great connection flights to the rest of Europe! 

This makes so much sense.  Been waiting for Icelandair to add RDU.  With our student population, well-educated, highly-disposable incomes...makes great sense!   AWESOME!!!

• Like 2

Here is the story about the new nonstop to Iceland and you can stay up to  7 days layover for free in Iceland on your way to Europe  that is great.

Icelandair will fly nonstop between RDU and Reykjavik | Raleigh News & Observer (newsobserver.com)

Here is their website with prices to major Euro cities

Flights to Europe & Iceland | Icelandair

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

speaking of Montreal RDU will get their Air Canada flight restarted this June.

""Welcome to Montreal! Starting June 1, enjoy the only nonstop service to Montreal (YUL) from RDU with Air Canada. Tickets are on sale now!""

Also the only nonstop flight ever from NC to Iceland starts May 12 four times a week.  Since RDU's flights to London and Paris are still suspended they expect a lot of people to connect on Icelandic to Europe.

Icelandair CEO expects strong demand for RDU-Iceland nonstop - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""With under three months to go before Raleigh-Durham International Airport’s inaugural nonstop flight to Reykjavik, Iceland, all systems are go.  That’s according to Icelandair CEO Bogi Nils Bogason, speaking in an exclusive interview with Triangle Business Journal.  “Bookings have been strong,” he said. The May flights are currently going for around $600.  Marketing campaigns have been executed. The airline is cooperating with the airport and tourism groups on both sides of the Atlantic, and all that remains is waiting for the May 12 takeoff, Bogason said.  Bogason said the airline’s Icelandic heritage is a major differentiator. It offers Iceland “stop over” packages, where tourists can spend a few days in Iceland before moving onto a final destination in Europe. ""

interesting this is how Icelandic Air markets RDU in Europe and Iceland  ( I never realized how close you were to the Great Smoky Mtns National Park lol)  In my opinion they should have mentioned Pinehurst more in terms of golf and more of NC's beaches.  

https://www.icelandair.com/flights/raleigh-durham/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a random question as we get back to normal life... again. 

How is RDU doing with regards to capacity? Will it be suitable for air travelers as the region continues to grow for a while? Or has there been/will there need to be talk of terminal expansion or new construction in the near future?

12 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Here's a random question as we get back to normal life... again. 

How is RDU doing with regards to capacity? Will it be suitable for air travelers as the region continues to grow for a while? Or has there been/will there need to be talk of terminal expansion or new construction in the near future?

RDU released a pretty comprehensive long range plan entitled “Vision 2040” a few years ago. The major components are: expanding terminal 2, investing in a comprehensive parking/rental car facility and building a longer runway which could support international travel to as far away as China.

Unfortunately this work was all done pre-pandemic so I’m not sure what the airport’s financial picture looks like right now or how this plan might be adapted as a result.

Here’s the link with a video that does a nice recap: http://rduvision2040.wpengine.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Durham_Transplant said:

RDU released a pretty comprehensive long range plan entitled “Vision 2040” a few years ago. The major components are: expanding terminal 2, investing in a comprehensive parking/rental car facility and building a longer runway which could support international travel to as far away as China.

Unfortunately this work was all done pre-pandemic so I’m not sure what the airport’s financial picture looks like right now or how this plan might be adapted as a result.

Here’s the link with a video that does a nice recap: http://rduvision2040.wpengine.com/

Thanks. Terminal 2 is going to be a reallllly long building if they expand it lol. Wonder if they could somehow install lengthwise tram or something, kinda like Detroit.

On 3/11/2022 at 7:10 AM, Durham_Transplant said:

I don’t think a direct flight to China will happen really ever. Nothing against Raleigh or RDU, it’s just china probably will continue to have very limited direct flights from the US in the future due to its zero Covid policy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe that is on the Duke campus.  HubRTP does not have any cranes up as I was by there 2 weeks ago and that would have been much closer to the INQUIVA or whatever building.  I think I see the Duke chapel between the cranes.  

Someone needs to just drive over there and take some photos LOL.   @SydneyCarton you live close by confirm with photos please any cranes on or immediately near the Duke campus. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Maybe that is on the Duke campus.  HubRTP does not have any cranes up as I was by there 2 weeks ago and that would have been much closer to the INQUIVA or whatever building.  I think I see the Duke chapel between the cranes.  

Someone needs to just drive over there and take some photos LOL.   @SydneyCarton you live close by confirm with photos please any cranes on or immediately near the Duke campus. 

I’ll try to go next week.  I’m curious what it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2022 at 7:59 PM, KJHburg said:

^^^   Cranes up in downtown Durham!  

That can't be Downtown Durham or Duke, the camera angle doesn't line up that way with IQVIA from RDU Airport.  Morrisville is in that far direction.