Millennium Park Development Updates

GRDadof3

Millennium Park to add playground, trails, boating

While most of the plan is years away from implementation, projects with more immediate prospects include a commitment from the local Rotary Club to raise $2 million for an international children's park to include global icons such as the Swiss Alps and the famous monolithic stone heads of Easter Island. Sabine said Rotary officials have anonymous donors that put the group well on its way toward the fund-raising goal.

Other amenities with identified funding, also from anonymous sources, include $2 million for new hiking trails and $500,000 to $1 million for a new boating center including a kayak and canoe launch. A large-group picnic area that could accommodate groups of 500 to 1,000 also is listed as a priority in the plan, Sabine said.

MORE HERE

• 11 months later...

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool news today in the GR Press. The Kent County Convention/Arena Authority is working on where to put a 15,000 seat amphitheater in the park. There is a lack of great places to see an outdoor concert in GR (Meijer Gardens is all that comes to mind). Maybe this will spark some great music festivals and more tour stops for artists coming to Detroit/Chicago?? Here's a link: GR Press Article

Cool news today in the GR Press. The Kent County Convention/Arena Authority is working on where to put a 15,000 seat amphitheater in the park. There is a lack of great places to see an outdoor concert in GR (Meijer Gardens is all that comes to mind). Maybe this will spark some great music festivals and more tour stops for artists coming to Detroit/Chicago?? Here's a link: GR Press Article

I moved your post to a better thread Ryan. :thumbsup: This is fantastic news that it is gaining momentum. I even know someone who works at Progressive, but it has been pretty hush hush since it was first announced.

I like the idea of providing shuttle buses from downtown. Now who woulda thunk of such a thing?! :whistling:

I moved your post to a better thread Ryan. :thumbsup: This is fantastic news that it is gaining momentum. I even know someone who works at Progressive, but it has been pretty hush hush since it was first announced.

I like the idea of providing shuttle buses from downtown. Now who woulda thunk of such a thing?! :whistling:

Gosh, you could even encourage folks to ride their bikes there using the Kent trails!

According to the article, and the newly updated Master Plan, it appears that the new amphitheater would land right about here (not confirmed yet):

1617363400_e1333d401e_o.jpg

Considering other amphitheaters around the country and how much land is needed, that's probably about accurate.

Verizon Wireless Amphitheater - Noblesville, IN - 25,000 seating capacity (let's hope they do all grass parking at the MP amphitheater)

1616870681_a9fde46641_o.jpg

DTE Energy Music Center - Clarkston, MI - 15,000 seating capacity

1617756114_fa669dfe07_o.jpg

HiFi Buys Amphitheater - Atlanta - 17,000 seating capacity

1616869481_8235b177b7_o.jpg

Including parking, all are about 75 - 110 acres. As I said, it'd be nice if they just stuck to grass lots to minimize runoff (and further pursued the shuttle bus from downtown idea).

In an expanded article today, some more details were released:

The county signed a purchase agreement with Developers Inc., owned by local developer Andrew Dykema, his son, Jim Dykema, and Dan Schimmel, to buy 80 acres in that area for $900,000 -- a mix of state and local money.

It has finalized the deal on about half the property and is waiting for the developers to clear the rest of the land before closing that part of the deal, said Kent County Assistant Administrator Mary Swanson, who oversees the county's parks.

The county either would donate land to the CAA or lease it, likely for $1, Morgan said.

"We have it, so we're in a position to move forward," Morgan said. "If we can help, we're willing to help."

The next step, MacKeigan said, is paying for the project, which could reach $20 million.

CAA Chairman Steve Heacock said he hopes to report to the authority board in January on the possibility of building an amphitheater.

"I still love the project and hope to get it done," he said.

Heacock said he and MacKeigan have been "out fishing," talking to potential donors about buying naming rights for an amphitheater.

"We're trying to determine what naming rights might be worth, where other sources of money might be," he said.

Make it an ecologically sound development and my bet would be the Steelcase Pavilion.

Nah, I'd put my money on Meijer. Or maybe even Verizon. They have their names on a number of amphitheaters around the country, like the Indy one, Irvine, Kansas City, St. Louis, Austin, Virginia Beach and Charlotte (probably others as well).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=v...G=Google+Search

Nah, I'd put my money on Meijer. Or maybe even Verizon. They have their names on a number of amphitheaters around the country, like the Indy one, Irvine, Kansas City, St. Louis, Austin, Virginia Beach and Charlotte (probably others as well).

<a href='http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/ipb_seo.php?url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=v...G=Google+Search' rel='nofollow' target="_blank" onclick="java script:urchinTracker('/outgoing/www_google_com');">http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=v...G=Google+Search</a>

It sounded good in my mind. :dontknow:

The shuttle idea would be a good one. If there was more year round anchors with the seasonal amphitheater ITP could extend its SW streetcar proposal to include a Wealthy ST. extension.

I'd be all for a Verizon Amphitheater or ATT Amphitheatre. Sounds big city. :)

(you know, big city like noblesville. ha.)

I agree. We've got enough "small town charm" to fill a stadium. Time to step out of the training pants. An amphitheater like this does put us in the same group as some of the larger cities, like the Verizon locations I mentioned. That and Cabela's. :P Now we just need a mall that has some upscale stores like a Niemann Marcus, Nordstrom et al and we might even be considered "up and coming", like the Kansas City's and Columbus Ohio's of the world.

Noblesville is actually just outside Indianapolis, in case you didn't know. :)

Maybe the map is too close for me to see for sure, but isn't that the old dump? If it is, this is probably a good use for all that land.

If you mean the old Butterworth landfill, then no that's across the highway. This is the site of a gravel/sand mining operation I believe, that is being purchased from Dykema Excavating according to the article. I actually got some pics of the demolition of the old processing plant the other day:

1655711850_4b09bc4c3f_b.jpg

1654849257_5176e5e39b_b.jpg

I'd like to watch them bring this puppy down:

1655723018_41d3a30932_b.jpg

If you mean the old Butterworth landfill, then no that's across the highway. This is the site of a gravel/sand mining operation I believe, that is being purchased from Dykema Excavating according to the article. I actually got some pics of the demolition of the old processing plant the other day:

I'm pretty sure this is the site of the US Gypsum board plant. (as opposed to the GR Gypsum later Domtar board plant where the Kent County Parks Dept offices are currently located).

You should hook up with fluffy on here, who also is a DJ and has been complaining about the poor quality DJ "posers" around GR.

Speaking of 80's/90's Euro music, does anyone think Death Cab for Cutie (singers of "Soul Meets Body") sounds like a lot of alternative bands out of the 80's/90's?

I think we should allow this topic to go wherever we want it to.

For all those serious about real electronic dance music in West Michigan (and for all the "poser" DJs that wouldn't know a KRAFTWERK-COMPUTERWORLD LP or MODEL 500-NO UFOs 12-inch if either spun off a turntable and slapped them), the following event series is being cultivated by Michigan Black Expo, Inc. (MBEI) to grow into a major annual electronic/urban music destination event that could anchor (Duke Ellington) Amphitheatre at Millennium Park . . . .

EPISODE II - MBEI Deep House Dance Music Series

TIME INDEX: Friday, November 2, 2007; 9:00p until . . . .

COORDINATES: 106 South Division Avenue, Suite 215 (in the Avenue of the Arts District), South Downtown GR

FEATURING: DJ Ecstacy and other of Michigan's 1980's House Music Luminaries & an Urban Art Showing by local Cuban Artist Mr. Erick Pichardo

FUNDRAISER FOR: MBEI Youth Music Institute Development Fund & Hollowell Urban Youth Art Initiative

FYI: The Duke Ellington moniker for the MP amphitheatre is MBEI's suggestion that accomplishes several beneficial things at once: 1) it puts a name on the venue that shows the world that we celebrate and embrace a multiplicity of cultures here and 2) with a name that embodies universal class, sophistication and goodwill like Duke Ellington does, any genre of musical artist <particularly heavy metal and hip hop> performing there would tend to "cleanup" their performances out of deference to the Ellington aura.

On the issue of mass transit to Millennium Park, MBEI's Transportation Steering Committee published the METRO GRAND RAPIDS COMPREHENSIVE TRANSIT OVERVIEW AND RECOMMENDATIONS in 1996. In the Fixed Guideway (Lightrail/Metrorail) section, a 20+ mile elevated corridor was laid out that would run from GRFord Airport to GVSU Allendale (with its hub at The Rapid's Central Station downtown and other stations to include Aerotech Business Park, Woodland Mall, Calvin College, Breton Village, Gaslight Village, Spectrum Health-Blodgett, Eastown, Aquinas College, Cherry Hill/Center of the Universe, Davenport-Fulton Campus <underground>, Medical Hill/Spectrum-Butterworth/VA Institute/MSU Medical/GRCC <underground>, DeVos Place/Calder Plaza, GVSU-Pew and the Amphitheatre at Millennium Park).

This corridor, though it does not include Meijer Gardens or RiverTown Crossings <due to them being developmentally too far from the primary corridor>, strings together the majority of this region's super-regional destinations. The three underground stations proposed are viable due to them going 40'-50' under two hills (Heritage/Medical Hill and the Ravine Hill between GVSU-Allendale and the Grand River). The station at Millennium Park would hugely cut down on autos having to drive into the park.

This has been discussed before here at UP-GR some years ago and seems to be just as relevant now. As a member of the GT2 Fixed Guideway Committee of The Rapid, I submitted these recommendations to them years ago also. It has actually influenced how The Rapid is looking at a second corridor (to follow up the currently planned Division South Corridor BRT Line) to run its 1st Phase from Central Station SouthEast to Ford Airport and its 2nd Phase from Central Station West to GVSU-Allendale to replace the precedent-setting and heavily used Route 50/GVSU Connector.

Just some things to make us all go "HMMMMMM . . . . " again.

-Metrogrkid

• 1 month later...

Kent County moves to purchase 111 acre parcel for Millennium Park

Millennium Park eyes land purchase to plug 'hole'

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

By Rick Wilson

The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- Kent County is set to plug a major hole in Millennium Park with a $1.1 million purchase of 111 acres, smack in the middle of the 1,500-acre park.

The Kent County Commission's Finance and Physical Resources Committee on Tuesday recommended the full county board next week approve buying the land, owned by a gravel mining company.

That's great! That area right across the road from the main entrance is such an eyesore right now, that it will be nice to see it cleaned up and possibly put to park use. I had my doubts that the park would be fully developed in my lifetime, but it seems to be chugging along with this purchase and the possible amphitheater to the Northeast.

2089722386_6d181ef41e_o.jpg

Area Targeted: Red

Possible Amphitheater Site: Blue

Here's what the updated Master Plan shows for that area:

http://www.millennium-park.org/images/lake..._districtlg.jpg

http://www.millennium-park.org/about/lakeside.htm

With the enormous size of this park there is so much to do! I am wondering, is there enough space and parking for it to host large community events? I am talking about large enough fields and access. I am guessing that there must be something with the amphitheater plan, but I was just curious. When I was out in the Bay area there was an old air field (Crissy Field) converted to park use right at the foot of the Golden Gate bridge that extended quite a way along the water into the city. There were always big events going on. It was the launching point for a number of 5Ks and such. We used it for slosh ball, but I doubt consuming alcohol is legal in any city park in Michigan. On that note, are there parks in GR area that allow for alcohol that I dont know about? I want to play slosh ball in GR, it is a great game. We played the kickball version. UP slosh ball event :alc:?

With the enormous size of this park there is so much to do! I am wondering, is there enough space and parking for it to host large community events? I am talking about large enough fields and access. I am guessing that there must be something with the amphitheater plan, but I was just curious. When I was out in the Bay area there was an old air field (Crissy Field) converted to park use right at the foot of the Golden Gate bridge that extended quite a way along the water into the city. There were always big events going on. It was the launching point for a number of 5Ks and such. We used it for slosh ball, but I doubt consuming alcohol is legal in any city park in Michigan. On that note, are there parks in GR area that allow for alcohol that I dont know about? I want to play slosh ball in GR, it is a great game. We played the kickball version. UP slosh ball event :alc:?

MP is a county park, and they do allow alcoholic beverages in certain areas at certain times:

http://www.millennium-park.org/rules/index.htm

I believe most of the county parks are the same, and I want to say that you can have alcohol at Riverside Park (?) I'd like to see Grand Rapids host an event like Milwaukee's SummerFest, and maybe as you mentioned with the amphitheater being the "main stage" with multiple big-name events at different stages. Even Muskegon's Summer Celebration hosts some big name acts, much bigger than GR's "Festivus for the Restuvus". :D

MP is a county park, and they do allow alcoholic beverages in certain areas at certain times:

http://www.millennium-park.org/rules/index.htm

I believe most of the county parks are the same, and I want to say that you can have alcohol at Riverside Park (?) I'd like to see Grand Rapids host an event like Milwaukee's SummerFest, and maybe as you mentioned with the amphitheater being the "main stage" with multiple big-name events at different stages. Even Muskegon's Summer Celebration hosts some big name acts, much bigger than GR's "Festivus for the Restuvus". :D

Looking at these plans makes me SOOOOOO excited. Seriously, in 20-30 years, when the trees have all grown and the park looks more like a natural area than gravel pits and everything is developed this park will be the jewel of Grand Rapids. I get all fuzzy just thinking about it.

-Josh

Whatever happened to the plans of this park being bigger than New York's Central Park??

The plans are still to have a park about twice the size of New York's Central Park. This purchase of 100+ acres is just another step to accomplish the greater goal.

Archived