The skyline thread

Flash

Unfortunately, the "money shot" is going always be at the gateway to downtown or where most people will first see downtown upon entering. This being the case, I think Saunders Street will remain our most glorified vantage point. This is fine too, because you can see all the way over to Glenwood South from here, but it is never photographed because of the lack of density to the west.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the County parking deck and N&O building on Martin Street are in that line of sight and are "in play" eventually. Not in the next 3-5 years, but probably in the 2010-2015 year time frame.

"Widening" the money shot west along Davie or Martin cross streets to McDowell/Dawson, could do as much as "gap filling" along Fayetville.

The Glenwood/Peace view is nice, but not a "money shot" by any means. It is now Quorum dominated, but hopefully that will change with Reynolds.

• 3 months later...

really only the Alexander square parking deck site can build up to fill that spot...tear it down (I know its pretty new) or build on top of it I suppose. Also the M&F bank site is begging for a more urban building...that would show up in the right half of the yellow rectangle.

I'm wondering if something were built in the 2 state government lots between wilmington and person would fill that slot if there were something in the 30 story range. It's prime open downtown land. I thik surface lots are horrible for a downtown area. That's truly wasted space However, I doubt the state would ever sell on those spots.

I watched Alexander Square being built, and *think* it could support more, but I don't know how much more. M&F and its parking lot would be a good site for a tall, thin building with one or two condos on some floors above/below a hotel on a few other floors -- Soleil Lite!

To the left of where the train is in the picture will be the new Wake County deck/Empire condos too. That doesn't fill the yellow gap, but will still be nice.

It would be tricky (and costly), but First Citizens, "old" Wachovia, One Exchange, and/or Kimbrells could come down in the 200 block. Out of these, Kimbrells would be the easiest, and most "bang for the buck."

I wonder if Alexander Square was built to have a structure put on top of it. I know a few of the city owned parking decks were built with this intention.

Alexander Square was built with the intention of adding condos on top of the parking deck. This was part of the negotiation with the city to get the plan approved. I don't know how many stories can be added however.

I'm the type of person that believes every skyline should have one prominent building: One building that stands out and is significantly taller than the rest. In the case of the RBC HQ, because of the crown, it's not just slightly taller than Two Hannover so now there will be two buildings in our skyline that are about the same height. That's the only thing I don't like about the skyline renderings once RBC is built.

So whatever takes that remaining spot, I hope it is significiently taller than both RBC and Two Hannover to bring balance to the skyline.

(Although I really wish and always have wished Two Hannover was a lot taller. It's such a great building with such a prominent position on the skyline. If it were say... 40 or 50 stories that would be awesome.

Archived