The next downtown LR high rise

A parking deck on this location is not a good fit. There is only a quarter block that is open and I don't think this is large enough for a deck. I don't think the renters of Block 2 would like to look out of their windows and see a deck. Why would the city want to exclude a tax paying development on this spot? Past planning for the River Market area called for decks to be placed outside the area and transit used to transport the users. The River Market Deck went against this and now they want to do it again. With the requirement that the city lease 175 spaces for one dollar a year revenue would be restricted. The city or should I say the LITTLE ROCK CONVENTION & VISITORS BUREAU would be the operator of the deck. I think they should do some work on their Main Street Deck first.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly, the main street deck is a block away from this proposed location. Why is there a need for 2 decks so close and one of them at one of the most prime locations in the state. I guess when people come into town for a convention they think they would like to look across the street at a parking deck instead of a world class hotel.

I cannot imagine the people in charge in LR being this stupid. This has gotta be because of the Capital Hotel and Stephens.

I agree with Skirby. I really didn't mean to peg anything to a specific interest... I only meant to suggest that there may be an ulterior motive for preventing this corner from being developed by the current owners, and that the parking deck is just a stall tactic.

I know how you all feel about this whole thing. The city leaders would be morons if they didn't approve this hotel. It would only mean more business for the Convention Center. This is the same situation that played out here in Springfield just recently. The city sent out an RFP for the land between the 900 space city owned parking deck and the Expo center downtown. Out of the first proposals that came in, Rick Huffman (also the guy that proposed the ballpark in Tulsa) proposed and 18 story Hilton. Then hammons got mad because he only came up with a 5 story office building, and took some legal action so he could propose a hotel. The city then wanted to have the accounting firm BKD included in the development. Huffman came back with a 22 story Hilton with office space for BKD and a nightclub and restaurant, Hammons a 15 story Embassy Suites. Then after about 7 months Huffman pulled out because Hammons already had contracts with the city for managing the Expo Center. Now hammons proposal has been dwindled downt to 10 stories some how. The city might as well deed all city owned property over to Hammons.

So, as you can tell I know how you feel.

Lets say the W came in, then Stephens came in also with a hotel. Can LR support 2 new full-service hotels, excluding the Hampton, downtown? There is nothing special about the Peabody, only that it has a nice view. A parking deck on that corner would do no good for the city and only increase CAR traffic, not pedestrian traffic. a 15 story W would be beyond grand for Little Rock. Maybe Stephens could put his on main street. Would the city really put a parking deck up on the corner? I know they bend over for anything, but a parking deck. And there's a parking deck less than a block away. Oh well, after the nature center, lets see what happens. all i know is that a parking deck would look so ugly. I don't care if there was shop's in the bottom, it would look hideous!

Lets say the W came in, then Stephens came in also with a hotel. Can LR support 2 new full-service hotels, excluding the Hampton, downtown? There is nothing special about the Peabody, only that it has a nice view. A parking deck on that corner would do no good for the city and only increase CAR traffic, not pedestrian traffic. a 15 story W would be beyond grand for Little Rock. Maybe Stephens could put his on main street. Would the city really put a parking deck up on the corner? I know they bend over for anything, but a parking deck. And there's a parking deck less than a block away. Oh well, after the nature center, lets see what happens. all i know is that a parking deck would look so ugly. I don't care if there was shop's in the bottom, it would look hideous!

What's with all the Peabody bashing? Renovate?!?! They just did that like 4 years ago, and its unquestionably the nicest hotel in town (the Capitol notwithstanding - boutique hotel being a different animal). It doesn't need a renovation.

Oh and by the way, the W Hotel issue is, and I'll say again, ridiculous. If Warren wants to do something nicer, THEN DO IT! It was a free market the last I checked, so the city shouldn't be manipulating the situation if that is in fact what's going on (admittedly, this is complete speculation at this point).

Another thing to think about is what development will make the city the most quick change? Even though we all know the hotel will be far better for downtown, many times the city leaders are just trying to make a buck and I can see why they might prefer a parking deck if it will provide greater short term cash inflow.

What's with all the Peabody bashing? Renovate?!?! They just did that like 4 years ago, and its unquestionably the nicest hotel in town (the Capitol notwithstanding - boutique hotel being a different animal). It doesn't need a renovation.

Oh and by the way, the W Hotel issue is, and I'll say again, ridiculous. If Warren wants to do something nicer, THEN DO IT! It was a free market the last I checked, so the city shouldn't be manipulating the situation if that is in fact what's going on (admittedly, this is complete speculation at this point).

dont get me wrong, the peabody is very nice. i just didnt have a very nice experience their the frist time i stayed there. I did stay there again last year and had an exceptional time! One question i do have, why doesnt the peabody have a swimming pool? It doesnt matter that much to me.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Arkansas Times a little bit more on the Aloft Hotel/parking deck at Markham and Scott. The city is still pushing for a 600 space parking deck to provide space for the convention center and the Peabody Hotel. This would be equal to the River Market parking deck in size and only 50 spaces less than the deck at Main and Second.

Also, the article said that leases were not renewed for the business facing the lot in question. It said Block2 might be undergoing "possible building renovations."

Archived