Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

Tonight the city council will decide whether or not to approve the incentives request for the aforementioned mixed-use on S. Elm. Last week's vote was only a non-binding resolution to support the project. Tonight's vote is what matters.

If your schedule permits, show your support by going to the meeting or even speaking on behalf of the development.

yup the project gets the go ahead!!! Construction will begin this spring. I am puzzled at why merchants are upset the city gave the project incentives when most developments downtown get local incentives. Center Pointe comes to mind and I heard no complaints then. People will come up with ANY excuse just to oppose something.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/02...ts_the_go_ahead

Edited by cityboi

yup the project gets the go ahead!!! Construction will begin this spring. I am puzzled at why merchants are upset the city gave the project incentives when most developments downtown get local incentives. Center Pointe comes to mind and I heard no complaints then. People will come up with ANY excuse just to oppose something.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/02...ts_the_go_ahead

I too am perplexed at some of the outrage that merchants exhibited towards this project. I think that when all is said and done, the project will benefit other downtown businesses, with new residents to frequent their own shops and stores. And hopefully, other developers will see what Lindbrook is doing in the worst of economic times and say to themselves, "if they can do it, so can we."

Usually the people who question a project like this the most are the ones praising it after it gets built. Glad to see city council did the right thing and approved this mixed use development. Hopefully the developers have financing lined up and are ready to start construction in the Spring.

I too am perplexed at some of the outrage that merchants exhibited towards this project. I think that when all is said and done, the project will benefit other downtown businesses, with new residents to frequent their own shops and stores. And hopefully, other developers will see what Lindbrook is doing in the worst of economic times and say to themselves, "if they can do it, so can we."

I think you're correct that this will benefit everyone when it's all said & done, however I think much of the outrage comes from small business owners feeling as though they're not being treated fairly, despite the fact they've been contributing to the tax base for years. For example, it was reported that the guy who owns the building which houses The Burro, M'Couls and Longshanks has on multiple occasions tried to buy or lease parking spots from the city and was turned down. I also doubt the city gave him money to buy the building.

If I'd invested my life savings into a business, the success of which is more in doubt than ever given the current economy, and see someone else given an advantage that wasn't offered to me, I'd probably be a little upset too. Whoever opens a restaurant or office in that building will automatically have competitive advantage when it comes to parking.

Meanwhile, there's at least half a dozen vacant storefronts within a couple of blocks of the location; if I own one of those buildings, my property becomes less desirable for leasing purposes than does the one the city helped pay for and gave parking to.

Basically it's like the cable company offering a special rate for new customers, that you helped facilitate by paying full price; except in this is case the cable company are elected officials who are supposed to represent the will of their constituents.

Again, I think it's beneficial long term, but also believe folks have a right to their ruffled feathers.

Edited by crowe1856

Meanwhile, there's at least half a dozen vacant storefronts within a couple of blocks of the location; if I own one of those buildings, my property becomes less desirable for leasing purposes than does the one the city helped pay for and gave parking to.

True. But I am not very sympathetic to some of the owners of these vacant storefronts on Elm (emphasis on some). Some of these storefronts are in disrepair and look absolutely awful. Clean up the mess in your windows and maybe someone would actually consider setting up shop there.

I agree that business owners, indeed all Greensboro residents, should be able to voice their concerns. I enjoy vigorous debate. My problem is that not one dissenter at last night's meeting or the previous meeting for that matter offered any sort of compromise. Every single one of them began with "I support this project BUT."

Speaker after speaker ridiculed the council for not doing enough when the transportation department and several council members have been working feverishly to reach an agreement that all parties could live with. And they offered nothing, not even one suggestion. They didn't even ask to have monthly parking brought back to the parking lot in question, even though they griped about its loss last year.

The city council should take into consideration the viewpoints of all Greensboro constituents. But those that refuse to engage in compromise or offer suggestions on how to resolve conflict don't have my sympathy either.

True. But I am not very sympathetic to some of the owners of these vacant storefronts on Elm (emphasis on some). Some of these storefronts are in disrepair and look absolutely awful. Clean up the mess in your windows and maybe

aint that the truth. There is one antique store that has so much junk piled up to the top of windows, you'd think you were on the set of Sanford and Son. I can imagine that old red Ford pickup driving in.

Edited by cityboi

Just now getting around to reading last week's Business Journal. The paper reported that Lomax Construction filed for a building permit for 230 S. Elm St for "addition/alternation" at a cost of $125,000. The project/new tenant is apparently called Bluezoom.

Anyone know anything. This must be the property down near Mellow Mushroom with the dumpsters outside.

Just now getting around to reading last week's Business Journal. The paper reported that Lomax Construction filed for a building permit for 230 S. Elm St for "addition/alternation" at a cost of $125,000. The project/new tenant is apparently called Bluezoom.

Anyone know anything. This must be the property down near Mellow Mushroom with the dumpsters outside.

Bluezoom is an advertising/marketing agency that has been at 230 S Elm St. for a year or so. This location is in the 200 block of Elm St. between February One and Washington St. They were on the street level and I bleieve they have moved to the second floor?? Signage is in the window but it looks pretty empty on the 1st floor.

Here is their website: http://www.bluezoom.bz/portfolio.cfm

The other location you spoke of is in the 500 block of S. Elm. (527 S. Elm. I think) It's another Lomax project but I'm not sure what its going to be.

Edited by luvdowntowngso

Bluezoom is an advertising/marketing agency that has been at 230 S Elm St. for a year or so. This location is in the 200 block of Elm St. between February One and Washington St. They were on the street level and I bleieve they have moved to the second floor?? Signage is in the window but it looks pretty empty on the 1st floor.

Here is their website: http://www.bluezoom.bz/portfolio.cfm

The other location you spoke of is in the 500 block of S. Elm. (527 S. Elm. I think) It's another Lomax project but I'm not sure what its going to be.

Clearly I am directionally challenged. Thanks for the clarification! Still would like to know what's happening down near Mellow Mushroom though.

The News & Record has a story out today about the old Miller Furniture building and its eventual transformation into restaurant space and apartments. There are going to be 18 apartments and the restaurant is going to be based off of the 6th and Vine concept in Winston-Salem.

Apparently there is also another $1 million + upfit planned for S. Elm, according to Ed. Wolverton. Any guesses?

The News & Record has a story out today about the old Miller Furniture building and its eventual transformation into restaurant space and apartments. There are going to be 18 apartments and the restaurant is going to be based off of the 6th and Vine concept in Winston-Salem.

Apparently there is also another $1 million + upfit planned for S. Elm, according to Ed. Wolverton. Any guesses?

so it looks like if Rim Tapas wine bar close, this restaurant will fill that void.

Also This project will be 3 doors down from where the planned 5-story building is going

Or should we say the 5-story building will be 3 doors down from this project? Miller has had this in the works since closing the furniture store, with 6th & Vine being in the mix for quite some time. Glad it's moving forward. I like the quote about talking to half a dozen banks- guess he should've hit the city up for some incentives.

here is the new website for Vintage 301. The wine cafe/resaturant that replaced The Press in Southside.

http://www.vintage301.com/

web_vin_1.2185702.jpg

lnge.15115306.jpg

lounge.32153911.jpg

dng_room.32154105.jpg

CIMG1751.485543.JPG

liquor_009.347110356.jpg

P2100698.12181359.JPG

Here is the website to the new "Zen Sushi & Sake Bar on S Elm Street. Looks like there is Sushi bar seating outside just before you go inside Thats a cool set up. Should be very nice on Spring and Summer nights. The website shows videos of the interior...looks very upscale.

http://zengreensboro.com/

zen005-3.25.jpg

Edited by cityboi

NewBridge Bank today announced plans to open a branch on the ground floor of Center Pointe. I'm glad to see that this project is still garnering interest despite the economic downturn. And I think it makes good business sense to try and cash in on all the rich folks that will be living upstairs!

Read it here.

Shot taken last weekend.

post-22919-1234453933_thumb.jpg

The Biz Journal has more info about the mysterious $1 million upfit that Ed Wolverton mentioned in article about downtown in this week's N&R.

I made a comment about this over the weekend but apparently had my directions mixed up. Luvdowntowngso was darn near spot on about the signs for Lomax construction at 526 S. Elm. A couple who moved here from Columbus last may bought the property and are renovating the top floor for themselves to live in and the bottom floor for commercial space. They also want to build according to LEED standards.

The article quotes them as saying that foot traffic has really increased down that stretch of S. Elm since Mellow Mushroom opened up. Good to hear.

There's an article in the new 99 Blocks about the planned Sidetrax restaurant & associated few acres along the NS railroad tracks west of Elm. Looks like they're kicking around the idea of converting part of the land to public/private parking, which would benefit the Mellow Mushroom & other businesses down there. Can't find a link to the article, but here's info from the design group, as well as a N&R article from a while back.