Pictures of Santa Fe, New Mexico

Mith242

On my most recent trip to New Mexico I stopped by in Santa Fe and took some pics to post. I should warn everyone that this might eventually get somewhat big. I'm going to post them in different groups. I thought about posting them in several different groups, but think I like the idea of having them together. First I'll start off with just some general shots around the city to give everyone an idea of what the city looks like and it's architecture. It's known for it's adobe architecture and rightly so, but there is some other styles. Usually some of the older stuff.

santafearch01ep6.jpg

santafearch02ze9.jpg

santafearch03be2.jpg

santafearch04tr5.jpg

santafearch05mc7.jpg

santafearch06iz4.jpg

santafearch07vw6.jpg

santafearch08bo7.jpg

santafearch09if4.jpg

santafearch10qk0.jpg

santafearch11ac9.jpg

santafearch12nw8.jpg

santafeabstract01nq6.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a few from around the Palace of Governors. Somewhere there's also a small museum but I didn't quite see it. But I will mention that I will have a group of pics of some of the numerous museums in Santa Fe later. Parts of the Palace of Governors dates back to 1609 when Santa Fe was founded by the Spanish. Along a part of it they also have something set up like the do in Albuqeruqe's Old Town. They have Native American vendors set up outside selling their art or jewelry that they've made.

palaceofgovernors01fp1.jpg

palaceofgovernors02zj3.jpg

palaceofgovernors03nw6.jpg

Here's some pics of the shops and such. It sometimes feels like a more spread out bazaar sometimes. I also like how in some older places in the city you suddenly walking along a wall when you suddenly come upon a door that opens into a courtyard where a shop is located.

santafeshop01pb5.jpg

santafeshop02qd6.jpg

santafeshop03qk5.jpg

santafeshop04pa9.jpg

santafeshop05at5.jpg

santafeshop06to9.jpg

Okay time for some churches. I have to throw in some pics of churches, Santa Fe does mean Holy Faith in Spanish. The first couple are of the Cristo Rey Church near the end of Canyon Rd. Parts of it date back to 1761 and it's also believed to be the largest adobe building in the world. Although you can't really judge how large it is from the pics I took. The building extends out quite a bit in the back. The third pic is the San Miguel por Barrio de Analco. Unfortunately I didn't get any inside pics of either church. San Miguel claims to be the oldest continously used church dating back to the 1620's. The last four pics are of the Loretto Chapel. It dates back to the 1870's and is one of two churches that has more of a French Gothic look to it. It's also home to the Miraculous Staircase, which was made with no nails and has no visible means of support. You can see it in the last pic.

cristoreychurch01av9.jpg

cristoreychurch02hk3.jpg

sanmiguelchapel01zx4.jpg

lorettochapel01hg2.jpg

lorettochapel04vs9.jpg

lorettochapel02pj8.jpg

lorettochapel03ca2.jpg

Here's some shots of St Francis Cathedral. It's the other church that stands out because of it's French Gothic/Romanesque look. It was built back in the 1860's to 1880's. The two towers that were never completed because of the lack of funds.. The stained glass was made in France and shipped over back in the 1800's. It also houses the oldest Madonna in the US. There was a small mission church located here but was burned down in the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. In the 1690's another church was built on the site. The current church was built over and around that one.

stfranciscathedral01lk5.jpg

stfranciscathedral02op9.jpg

stfranciscathedral03mi4.jpg

stfranciscathedral04sq9.jpg

stfranciscathedral05bf1.jpg

stfranciscathedral06fs6.jpg

stfranciscathedral07en3.jpg

stfranciscathedral08fh9.jpg

stfranciscathedral09dq0.jpg

stfranciscathedral10gr1.jpg

Time to move on to some artwork. Santa Fe is third, only behind NYC and Los Angeles in it's art market. Hard to believe that a city of 75,000 can be in that position. But New Mexico is certainly a Mecca for artists and Santa Fe has also established itself the main center for Native American art. This first group of pics of statues/sculptures are around the Museum Hill area. More pics showing some around downtown Santa Fe to come later.

museumhillstatue01zg9.jpg

museumhillstatue02tq2.jpg

museumhillstatue03xo2.jpg

museumhillstatue04fx6.jpg

museumhillstatue05wr7.jpg

museumhillstatue06bt7.jpg

museumhillstatue07op4.jpg

museumhillstatue08ac1.jpg

museumhillstatue09dt1.jpg

museumhillstatue10ve1.jpg

museumhillstatue11jk0.jpg

These statues/sculptures are from around the downtown Santa Fe area. Most of them are permanent although I did throw in a few that were in front of shops and I'm assuming for sale. I found the fourth statue of interest because I've seen it before. Apparently there were 7 of those statues made. One stands here in Santa Fe and I've seen another one on the University of Arkansas campus here in Fayetteville.

santafestatue01qh4.jpg

santafestatue02jt1.jpg

santafestatue03gg2.jpg

santafestatue04qs7.jpg

santafestatue05cz1.jpg

santafestatue06ih8.jpg

santafestatue07pl1.jpg

santafestatue08zn5.jpg

santafestatue09bd4.jpg

santafestatue10dt6.jpg

La Fonda means the Inn in Spanish. This area has been known for it's inns because it was the end of the Santa Fe Trail. The travelers could stop at the inns right before they reaches the Santa Fe Plaza. In the 1920's the current La Fonda was built on the site of the old inns. Next will come some pics of the many museums around Santa Fe.

lafondahotel01fx0.jpg

lafondahotel02lw7.jpg

lafondahotel03bx8.jpg

lafondahotel13wk3.jpg

lafondahotel04ne7.jpg

lafondahotel05ko7.jpg

lafondahotel06fy2.jpg

lafondahotel07mt8.jpg

lafondahotel08tc9.jpg

lafondahotel09ly5.jpg

lafondahotel10yu2.jpg

lafondahotel11ff6.jpg

lafondahotel12vc2.jpg

Santa Fe has a great selection of museums. There are four in the southeast part of town called Museum Hill. Which is where my pics start off. There's the Museum of Indian Arts & Culture, the Museum of International Folk Art, the Museum of Spanish Colonial Art, and the Wheelwright Museum. Then downtown you have the Institute of American Indian Arts Museum and the Museum of Fine Arts. Then there's some more museums scattered around the city I didn't get pics. The Georgia O'Keefe Museum, the Childrens Museum, and then I believe there's a couple more smaller museums as well.

santafemuseum01bo6.jpg

santafemuseum05ho0.jpg

santafemuseum02ls8.jpg

santafemuseum03wj4.jpg

santafemuseum04sh4.jpg

santafemuseum06sq8.jpg

santafemuseum07wd1.jpg

santafemuseum08kw8.jpg

santafemuseum09be8.jpg

santafemuseum10bo8.jpg

Actually I guess I do have one more pic to post that I had forgotten about. I hadn't thought of this as a Santa Fe shot because it was taken about an hour and a half away from Santa Fe. But on top of Sandia Crest just east of Albuquerque you can actually see Santa Fe. Sandia Crest has an elevation around 10,600 ft. Santa Fe by the way is around 7,000 ft and I'm pretty sure it's the highest capitol in the US. This shot is zoomed in a bit and the city isn't as close as it looks in the pic.

sandiasantafe01tg5.jpg

Great shots, Rod!!!

I've never been further west than San Antonio and Dallas, so I can imagine how strange it would feel to me, walking around a downtown made of adobe-style buildings! :)

But those are really cool shots, and you've done a great job representing Santa Fe. I've never been there but it seems I know what it's like from these shots.

Great shots, Rod!!!

I've never been further west than San Antonio and Dallas, so I can imagine how strange it would feel to me, walking around a downtown made of adobe-style buildings! :)

But those are really cool shots, and you've done a great job representing Santa Fe. I've never been there but it seems I know what it's like from these shots.

It's an interesting city. Although too expensive other than to just visit. But an easy trip from Albuquerque. It may not be to everyone's taste but I still think it should be visited by anyone in the area. There's just not really anything quite like it to compare.

It's an interesting city. Although too expensive other than to just visit. But an easy trip from Albuquerque. It may not be to everyone's taste but I still think it should be visited by anyone in the area. There's just not really anything quite like it to compare.

I never in a million years would have thought "too expensive." Wow. I will be going out west at some point, just not sure when yet.

I never in a million years would have thought "too expensive." Wow. I will be going out west at some point, just not sure when yet.

Take a close look at the menu prices before you order something at some of the restaurants. :lol: Most places really aren't that bad, but it can be a bit pricey compared to many places.

Great shots Mith! I really enjoyed all of them. Thanks for sharing. Great architecture, something very unique for sure. I like the diversity.

New Mexico is a beautiful state. I had the chance to pass thru & back thru there when I went to the Grand Canyon and Zion Nt'l Park; But I have never been to Santa Fe. Parts of southern New Mexico resembles Mars, it's really cool.

Brian for many years the western hills of Fort Worth was as far West as I had ever been til I took the trip "Out-West", it's a must see, the area is vast and wide open, HUGE! You will enjoy, but be prepared to drive for days. It's funny how many consider the Mississippi River the East/West dividing-line. Well it aint 1/2 and 1/2 in size; it's 2/3 West, 1/3 East. :P

Great shots Mith! I really enjoyed all of them. Thanks for sharing. Great architecture, something very unique for sure. I like the diversity.

New Mexico is a beautiful state. I had the chance to pass thru & back thru there when I went to the Grand Canyon and Zion Nt'l Park; But I have never been to Santa Fe. Parts of southern New Mexico resembles Mars, it's really cool.

Brian for many years the western hills of Fort Worth was as far West as I had ever been til I took the trip "Out-West", it's a must see, the area is vast and wide open, HUGE! You will enjoy, but be prepared to drive for days. It's funny how many consider the Mississippi River the East/West dividing-line. Well it aint 1/2 and 1/2 in size; it's 2/3 West, 1/3 East. :P

It's a shame that most people only see New Mexico from I-40. It almost seems like they put I-40 through the most boring part of New Mexico. It is a very interesting place. I really like the mixture of Native American, Hispanic and Anglo cultures.

• 2 months later...

Archived