Detroit Lions

egrguy

Well their old RB Kevin Jones signed with the Bears so he can run for 300 yards and 6 TDs against the Lions this year. :lol:

Detroit signed a 3rd rounder, Cliff Avril, to a 3-year deal. Lets hope all the picks are signed by the time camp starts next Wednesday.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what does everyone think so far? The Lions looked pretty decent in the first preseason game. I thought rookies Kevin Smith and Cliff Avril had the best games. Dizon, Fluellen and Cherilus also looked alright, but made some mistakes too. Calvin Johnson looks as if he could be ready for a huge year. Let's hope he (and Kitna) stays healthy.

Just like every year I'm optimistic as a Lions fan. They did look decent in the first preseason game (much better then the Giants 1st 'O') and today in practice is the first day the entire first team 'O' will practice together with everyone back from injuries. Kitna is the key for me. If he stays healthy and plays well, I think the Lions might sneak into the playoffs. I'm looking for 8-9 wins this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate getting excited about Detroit Lions football. Its a good start and I can't wait to see the real season begin. Do the Lions get 10 wins and the playoffs this year?

Official prediction: 8-8.

Similar to last year, the last half of their schedule is just brutal and they will struggle down the stretch. (Last 5 games: Tennessee, Minnesota, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Green Bay.. ouch), especially if they have many injuries. I do think we'll see a better and more consistent team that doesn't give up 30 first-half points like we saw a bunch of times last year.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see 10-6, nor would I be surprised to see 5-11. I think they'll handle Atlanta with relative ease on Sunday to start the season 1-0.

• 3 weeks later...

Thaey will get a couple of wins, watch the Minnesota game at DET and the game this weekend at Houston. Minnesota can't throw the ball yet, so if the Lions continue to stack 8 against Peterson, they could pull off a 17-13 victory at Ford Field. But I bet there is a 20-30% chance they O-fer. OUCH!

I liked Roy Williams, but this was a good trade for the Lions. They now have two first round picks next year and two third-round picks, plus they exchanged their seventh-round pick for a sixth-round pick from Dallas. If they had waited till the end of the year, they still would have lost Roy Williams as a free agent and gotten nothing in return.

If (and its a big if) they hire a good GM, all those early picks can potentially turn things around for the Lions in a hurry. Further, they will have lots of salary cap space to sign some free agents before the draft. But I really hope they can win enough games this year to avoid having a top-5 pick, since it's more of a burden than a blessing. Especially since they'll have to pay two players first-round money next year.

If the Lions defense plays the way it did against Minnesota, they could get their first win this weekend against Houston.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived